humility

how do you people practice it?

I try, and often fail, to be silent when wrongly rebuked or insulted, to be submissive to the wills of other people, and to fulfill my responsibilities in life promptly and completely. These are my current objectives.

Maybe I feel this way because in many ways I’m a “baby Christian”** but **: On days when I have a feeling like “Yes, I got everything right today, prayers I wanted to pray-check, my mind didn’t wander during the Rosary, I was tolerant and kind to my mother when she called.” I’m sure to stumble. On days when I truly feel sinful and unworthy I have more conversation with God and the Saints and usually stand firm against Satan’s attacks.
The one idea I’ve been able to come up with about this is a lack of humility. Because my first thought on the “good” days is “I’ve done it.” I let pride in, and open a door for the Serpent to enter. God brings good out of evil and uses these sins to show me that it’s not me doing anything good, it’s only through relying on Him that I can do any good at all.
Sorry to be so wordy in my reply, I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately.

Hi,

I try to pray this litany as much as I can, it is helping me with being too proud.

LITANY OF HUMILITY…

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved…
From the desire of being extolled …
From the desire of being honored …
From the desire of being praised …
From the desire of being preferred to others…
From the desire of being consulted …
From the desire of being approved …
From the fear of being humiliated …
From the fear of being despised…
From the fear of suffering rebukes …
From the fear of being calumniated …
From the fear of being forgotten …
From the fear of being ridiculed …
From the fear of being wronged …
From the fear of being suspected …

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I …
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease …
That others may be chosen and I set aside …
That others may be praised and I unnoticed …
That others may be preferred to me in everything…
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

Thank-you for posting that.

It is quite easy to fall into pride if we are in a parish were there are only a few serious Catholics, I think that if we always put the example of the saints before us we will start to become humble. When I look at the great things the saints achieved I realise how badly I have done and how I need to improve. We must be careful this doesn’t lead to envy.

The more we rely on God the more humble we will become, one of the big causes of pride is relying on our own efforts.

Some people think that humble people are always putting themselves down, St John Vianney says they only do this to get praise and to be built up from others. If we want to practise humility we should try and hide our good works and not want to be praised for them.

There are four excellent sections from the Devout life on this
the link is here, they are short and easy to raed and full of practical advice.
ccel.org/ccel/desales/devout_life.toc.html
Part III
chapters IV to VII

My dear friend

For me humility is to never sin, because pride is at the root of all sin. Humilty is living in the truth. Humility is keeping your will perfectly aligned with Gods will.

Needless to say it’s very hard to be humble.

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

obedience, quick, unhesitating, cheerful

:thumbsup: Bull’s eye.

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta gave the Missionaries of Charity the following guidelines for practicing humility:

1. Speak as little as possible about yourself.
  2. Keep busy with your own affairs and not those of others.
  3. Avoid curiosity.
  4. Do not interfere in the affairs of others.
  5. Accept small irritations with good humor.
  6. Do not dwell on the faults of others.
  7. Accept censures even if unmerited.
  8. Give in to the will of others.
  9. Accept insults and injuries.
  10. Accept contempt, being forgotten and disregarded.
  11. Be courteous and delicate even when provoked by someone.
  12. Do not seek to be admired and loved.
  13. Do not protect yourself behind your own dignity.
  14. Give in, in discussions, even when you are right.
  15. Always choose the more difficult task.

In what sense?

As for the rest of the list, it sounds truly holy to me, though my ear is very inexperienced.

I take it to mean curiosity about others, wanting to know gossip.

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

I wish I was more humble. I think the advice at this thread has been very good :slight_smile: God bless.

if anyone ever wants to do some serious reading :wink:

here is what St Liguori said about humility:
freewebs.com/wallmell/LiguoriPracticeLove6.htm

and from ‘Imitation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus’:
catholictradition.org/Classics/imitation2-2.htm#5
catholictradition.org/Classics/imitation3-3.htm#12
catholictradition.org/Classics/imitation3-4.htm#14

I have been a very proud person in a way that I seek everyone’s approval and I tend to question a lot of things ( I feel smarter in a lot of ways when I question).

I find that praying to the The Infant of Prague helped me out a lot with my pride. I feel that we all have to be somehow childlike and just hold Our Father’s hands in order to be just closer to him and just say yes to his teachings of humility and love.

In a way I guess that’s how I deal with my pride… although I still have a long way to go.

Thank you for posting this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.