Humility

Any advice on how to increase in this virtue? I have always struggled with pride… I’m not a humble person at all. I’m TRYING really hard… I pray the Litany of Humility and I keep reminding myself that we’re living for heaven so if we don’t accomplish much by this world’s standards it’s ok. But I’ve just always been so prideful. Also it’s not so much an exterior thing (ie bragging/showing off) as it is interior (thinking of myself better, sense of entitlement, etc.)
Help?:shrug:

Pray the Litany of Humility written by Card. Rafael Merry del Val for a few days and see what results you get: ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm. :slight_smile:

I find that reading and meditating on The Imitation of Christ to be beneficial. The book is packed with spiritual discipline, and I read it over and over. It does not happen all at once, but with faithful practice, the book will guide you in humility and spiritual growth.

LOVE! :heart:

It’s an issue of interior transformation. It won’t happen overnight or in a few days, at least not in any permanent manner.

Monastics spend their entire lives trying to perfect this virtue; in the Rule of St. Benedict, humility has 12 degrees.

At its most basic level,

The first degree of humility, then,
is that a person keep the fear of God before his eyes
and beware of ever forgetting it.
Let him be ever mindful of all that God has commanded;
let his thoughts constantly recur
to the hell-fire which will burn for their sins
those who despise God,
and to the life everlasting which is prepared
for those who fear Him.
Let him keep himself at every moment from sins and vices,
whether of the mind, the tongue, the hands, the feet,
or the self-will,
and check also the desires of the flesh.

The second degree is:

The second degree of humility
is that a person love not his own will
nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
“I have come not to do My own will,
but the will of Him who sent Me” (John 6:38).
It is written also,
“Self-will has its punishment,
but constraint wins a crown.”

I find a good way to start, with humility, is to master obedience to God and anybody who holds legitimate authority over us (as long as they don’t command us to do something contrary to God’s law). For example, at work, place your boss in the position of the abbot:

The third degree of humility is that a person
for love of God
submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
“He became obedient even unto death.”

The important thing is that this is a life-long transformation process; another important aspect of humility and growing in spiritual depth, is learning to let go, especially let go of our own pride which often is simply a mask for our own insecurity which itself comes from a lack of trust in God.

Learn to really trust God with your life, and especially learn to accept yourself as you are because He accepts you as you are, and trust in His mercy, on which we are all totally dependent. It takes time but then you’ll be able to let go of your pride. Pride is just a mask to plaster over our own hurts and inadequacies.

I still have a long way to go to reach the 12th degree. It is like Jacob’s ladder, you rise by descending, and you descend when you try to exalt yourself. My Benedictine oblation, I hope, helps me understand this and transform myself so that some day I may reach the 12th degree.

Pride afflicts us all! Some of the great thinkers of the Church have considered it to be the root of all sin. Essentially, when we choose to sin, we choose our own way over God’s way. It is also the worst vice to overcome!

Benjamin Franklin once wrote: “There is perhaps no one of our natural passions so hard to subdue as pride. Beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive. Even if I could conceive that I had completely overcome it, I should probably be proud of my humility”.
catholic.org/news/hf/faith/story.php?id=43437

[LIST]
*]Read the scriptures related to humility. Google it and you’ll find dozens of them!
*]Every night do an examination of conscience and review all that you have to be grateful for.
*]Volunteer! Especially at something particularly lowly - volunteer to clean your church, help out at a nursing home taking on the chores others might reject- changing bed pans or dealing with particularly difficult patients.
*]Pray. Humility is a GIFT. Ask the Holy Spirit to increase it in your heart.
*]Serve your family in all things- be the one who cleans toilets, washes floors, or wipes up messes.
[/LIST]

I also have to continue to work on humility. I have too much of it’s all about be at times.

For the most part, I think that I have become rather humble, but pride can still stick-up its ugly head and overcome me at the most unpredictable times.

LOVE! :heart:

Perfect:thumbsup:

Prayer, fasting, almsgiving, and good deeds. Mass as often as possible.

I know exactly where you are coming from as I struggle with it too. But the fact that you recognize it is a good sign. The best suggestion I can give you is prayer. Ask God for the grace to be humble. In fact, it takes humility to acknowledge that you can’t overcome pride alone, and only He can do this. Also, don’t be agitated if you keep falling into pride. Calmly apologize to the Lord, acknowledge your weakness, and move on. It takes humility to not be surprised by our sins, but to recognize our weakness and realize its not surprising that we fall.

Perhaps Our Lady would be a good model and a good person to pray to, as she is the most humble of God’s creatures, despite being the greatest (or rather, she is the greatest partly because she is the most humble :slight_smile: ).

God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.