Hummus wars--"The Israelis are stealing our food!"

It couldn’t get any more ridiculous than this. By ZEINA KARAM Associated Press Writer BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) - The latest conflict simmering between Lebanon and Israel is all about food: Lebanese businessmen accusing Israel of stealing traditional Middle Eastern dishes like hummus. Fadi Abboud, president of the Lebanese Industrialists Association, said Tuesday his group plans to sue Israel to stop it from marketing hummus and other regional dishes as Israeli. “It is not enough they (Israelis) are stealing our land. They are also stealing our civilization and our cuisine,” said Abboud. He said his group also seeks to claim the eggplant spread baba ghannouj and tabbouleh, a salad made of chopped parsley and tomatoes, as Lebanon’s own. Hummus _ made from mashed chickpeas, sesame paste, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic _ has been eaten in the Middle East for centuries. Its exact origin is unknown, though it’s generally seen as an Arab dish. But it is also immensely popular in Israel _ served in everyday meals and at many restaurants _ and its popularity is growing around the globe. While Abboud cites a history of complaints by Lebanese businessmen about Israel exporting and marketing Lebanese dishes as Israeli, it’s not clear where the Lebanese might file suit since the two countries are officially at war. Israel’s Food Industries Association and the Foreign Ministry both declined comment. Abboud compares his suit to the one over feta cheese in which a European Union court ruled in 2002 the cheese must be made with Greek sheep and goats milk to bear the name feta. That ruling is only valid for products sold in the EU. Abboud acknowledged an uphill battle, particularly over hummus _ which Palestinians also claim as their own. “Hummus might be debatable, in any case we will be happy if the Palestinians win… But nobody can even discuss whether tabbouleh or baba ghannouj are Lebanese,” Abboud added. “We don’t have to win. The important thing is to try.” wtop.com/?nid=105&sid=1492818

hummus and tabbouleh ARE really good though.

Israelis are not “stealing” Humus, rather you can say they are integrating with the food of the Arab-Israeli population. If you want to have two different cultures work together, the food plate is a good meeting point. This works both ways, and the Arab population “steals” pizza and other western food.

I myself go many times to the old city of Acre to enjoy the best Hummus. You can read about it in:

biblewalks.com/sites/hummus.html

:thumbsup: I wish these “wars” will be the only wars conducted in the Middle East…

I don’t think its funny really.

Arabs never said that Pizza is an arab dish . Nor we claim we invented the apple pie. So it isnt weird nor trivial to state that many of the dishes that Israel claim to be ‘‘israilie’’ are actuallly arab dishes common to most of the arab world .

Its part of the process to wipe out any traces of arab culture in occupied Palestine.

But ofcourse many of the people on this forum would love to have that happen.

Any way just thought i would pitch in may be there are some morals left.

=meedo;4276732]
Its part of the process to wipe out any traces of arab culture in occupied Palestine.

Do you consider all of Israel “occupied Palestine”?

I wouldn’t. I would prefer a two-state solution; a free, secure, and independent Palestine next to a free, secure, and independent Israel. I’d also like to see a free, secure Lebanon, free of the tyranny of Syria and Iran.

Jon

Actually…its hilarious. But its also pitiful that “arabs” can’t spend more of their efforts on peaceful co-existence with a people they can’t beat…

Arabs never said that Pizza is an arab dish . Nor we claim we invented the apple pie. So it isnt weird nor trivial to state that many of the dishes that Israel claim to be ‘‘israilie’’ are actuallly arab dishes common to most of the arab world .

Maybe you should study a little more about history and glean some facts from some other sources besides al-jazeera or some other propaganda organ…

Read here for starters: humus101.com/EN/2007/08/30/who-stole-my-hummus/

Simply put…the arabs have no claim other than that they make the claim. Hummus is “Mediterranean” and “Middle Eastern” in nature…and its actual origin is unknown. Also, keep in mind that there were Jewish people in the Middle East long before Islam was made.

Oh my word…ANOTHER JEWISH CONSPIRACY!!! As if arabs and islamics don’t try to eradicate anything and everything wherever they go…

Makes little or no difference to me either way.

Do you enjoy pretending to be a “victim”?

Any way just thought i would pitch in may be there are some morals left.

Uhhh, I would not suggest that you even think of using the word morals in a sentence… I’ll stop there, but I advise that you leave the lid on that can of worms.

Actually i think your whole post is a big hypocritical junk. Beacuse culture is somthing that is fiercely defended in the west and all over the world .Not just the arab world. Just because food immigrated to many countries doesn’t mean it originated in these countries .

You seem to cannot grasp the concept that people can negotiate peace and still stand up for not allowing cucltural theft. ( what do you think i took a vacation of work to sit and reply to this post or somthing? ) May be you cant do these things at the same time , others can .

I don’t think it needs much history to say that The vast of middle easterners are arabs . They identify themselves as such . So the dihes that they make are arab dishes .

i don’t enjoy bieng the victim , but i will stand for my right to claim what is mine is mine and when it happens to you , i will stand for your right to claim what is yours si yours, and i i will not mock you when you claim you are a victim. Specially if you were forced to leave your home .

=meedo;4276732]
Its part of the process to wipe out any traces of arab culture in occupied Palestine

meedo,

Do you consider all of Israel “occupied Palestine”?

Jon

Is there an offical Israeli governmental policy on hummas?? I have to disagree and say it is funny and actually ridiculous to try to integrate Israeli sales of hummas with wiping out arab culture.

From Wikipedia: Many cuisine-related sources carry forward a folklore which describes hummus as one of the oldest known prepared foods with a long history in the Middle East which stretches back to antiquity, but its historical origins are unknown.

Meanwhile some cookbooks repeat the legend that hummus was first prepared in the 12th century CE by Saladin. Hummus is noted in a source cited by the OED as a traditional Arab dish. Sources such as Cooking in Ancient Civilizations by Cathy K. Kaufman carry speculative recipes for an ancient Egyptian hummus, substituting vinegar for lemon juice, but acknowledge we do not know how the Egyptians ate their chick-peas. Similarly, no recipe for hummus has been identified among the many books on cooking surviving from ancient Rome.

Despite these diverging origin theories for hummus, the Association of Lebanese Industrialists declared in 2008 that the dish is fundamentally Lebanese, and that it would pursue the acquisition of internationally-recognized cultural rights to the dish, similar to the Protected Geographical Status rights held over regional food items by various European Union states. The declaration was made with specific regard to Israel, on the grounds that Israel’s export of hummus and other Middle Eastern food items would render hummus a part of Israeli cultural heritage in popular international opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.