Humor, is it Christian?

I notice that there is rarely any mention of anything humourous or light-hearted in scripture, or in religious discussion. I realize that this is because there are serious issues to discuss. Is having a good sense of humor ever a gift of God? I believe I have a good sense of humor, often on the silly side. Does God laugh with us, or is humor something to be avoided since there are so many serious problems all around?

Humor seems to make fun of our lack of virtue, but on the flip-side, maybe it can be helpful to those that realize it.

I love stand up comedy… nothing better than a good laugh sometimes :slight_smile: We have to realize that we are not perfect beings. Everyone has to live life and grow up with the problems that life throws at us all…

I just notice that people who lack humor tend to lack empathy, appreciation of beauty, communication skills, reality testing skills and other keys to a healthy attitude. Therefore, humor is necessary. God put it in almost everyone for a reason, and we should use it wisely as with all God-given gifts.

I have been told that many of Jesus’ comments include puns in Aramaic, e.g. the words for gnat and camel are quite similar. I don’t know Aramaic so can’t confirm this.

I have to disagree.

Look at this.
[FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]
[size=]Mark 3:17 And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he named them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder:

I have always noted that Our Lord displayed a real sense of humor in His nickname for the sons of Zebedee. He apparently recognized them for the rough and noisy fisherman types that they were, and maybe even the nature of their father.[/FONT][/size]

I’d put money on the idea that God, if he exists, is not so much laughing with but at us.

On Jesus specifically, remember that the gospels were intended to record his preaching and miracle-working, not his nightly stand-up act. Great orators don’t need to loosen up a crowd with cheap jokes, and Jesus was a world-class speaker (the sermon on the mount remains one of the most eloquent pieces yet delivered). Even so, I’ve heard the same thing as Joe, that he used puns occasionally, and his comment to Joseph about ‘his father’s house’ after he was found in the temple is undeniably sarcastic.

We know he had emotions: he wept, he sympathized, he flew into a rage a couple of times. Why would he not have laughed?

If you doubt that God has a sense of humor, just look at an ostrich.

Ecclesiastes 3 %between%
1 All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven. 2 A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted.
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal. A time to destroy, and a time to build.
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh. A time to mourn, and a time to dance.
5 A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather. A time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.
6 A time to get, and a time to lose. A time to keep, and a time to cast away.
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew. A time to keep silence, and a time to speak.
8 A time of love, and a time of hatred. A time of war, and a time of peace.
9 What hath man more of his labour? 10 I have seen the trouble, which God hath given the sons of men to be exercised in it.
11 He hath made all things good in their time, and hath delivered the world to their consideration, so that man cannot flnd out the work which God hath made from the beginning to the end.

Can you imagine how dull our lives would be without humor!!!:eek:

I also find that people who lack a sense of humor are so serious and depressing to be around.

I agree that God has a sense of humor I mean He made me :rotfl: :wink:
Ostrich thats a good one:D

My husband always points out the platypus when faced with this question. I point out men. :wink:

If God doidn’t have a sense of humor, he wouldn’t have created us.:smiley:

Many saints have had a sense of humor – I think of Mother Theresa (I know she’s not yet cannonized) and her dry wit. When asked, “What do you have to do to be a saint?” She replied, “Die now. They’re canonizing everyone!”:smiley:

When Dan Rather asked her if she prayed, she said yes, and when he asked her what she says to God, she said, “Nothing. I just listen.”

And when Rather asked what God says to her, she said, “Nothing. He just listens.”:smiley:

When Dan Rather asked her if she prayed, she said yes, and when he asked her what she says to God, she said, “Nothing. I just listen.”

And when Rather asked what God says to her, she said, “Nothing. He just listens.”:smiley:

I had heard about the first part but they left out the second. lol

1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7 a time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace. (Ecclesiastes (RSV) 3)

Looks like humor is covered here. It just has its proper time.

Uh, I beg to differ. The Book of Judges is not only one of the most violent books of the Bible, it has the most ironic humor, expecially if read in the King James.
Passages of Jeremiah have much sarcasm, and how about David lopping off part of Saul’s tunic while he was ‘covering his feet’ (going to the bathroom). Speaking of sarcasm, have you ever read 1 Corinthians out loud? Paul was up their with Blackadder.
Read Job when God is describing his creation, sounding like a proud owner of a cute pet.
There is MUCH humor and joy in the Bible.
:smiley:

It seems to me that the humorous passages some claim to have found in Scripture are nothing more than an individual’s own shallow interpretation of those passages. The Magisterium, who actually possesses the authority to authentically interpret Scripture, has so far declined to point out anything like an attempt at humor within God’s revelation.

Further, one ought to be careful in applying human characteristics to God. To imply that God can be moved to laughter is to say that He is something other than the Unmoved Mover and challenges God’s role as the Creator. Certainly Aquinas recognized this problem and taught that God was without emotion.

That God is without humor is simply the way things are. I will certainly not engage in the gross presumption of dictating to God that He should be something other than Who He is.

And he answered, “It is not fair to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” 27 She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.”

Matthew 15:26-27

I hope Jesus said that with a suggestion of a smile.

“Jesus wept”.

Perhaps He is the Eternal Laugher?

Humor is very Catholic. Although, when someone sneeringly told me I didn’t know what “trans-human” is, and I gave a humorous reply, the moderator removed it.

(PM me if you’d like a copy.):wink:

I think of myself as having a good sense of humor.

But speaking of saints with a sense of humor…don’t forget Saint Lawrence, as he was being grilled to death he said “Turn me over, I’m done on this side.” He is also the patron saint of…comedians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.