Hundreds of immigrants convicted and not deported committed more crimes — even murder

At least 121 killings within a four-year span were carried out by convicted immigrants who were not deported, according to a 2015 U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee document recently reviewed by el Nuevo Herald. miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article131227599.html

I notice that you missed out the paragraph which says that innumerable studies have shown that both legal and illegal immigrants are less likely to commit crime than indigenous Americans. 121 murders in 4 years would be a lot for most countries but sadly is a drop in the ocean for the USA.

Existing immigration laws already call for the deportation of those who commit felonies or certain misdemeanors. In fact the article says that ICE tried to deport each of these immigrants after they had served their criminal sentences, but their home countries refused to take them back. (According to the article, the majority of the convicts were from Cuba and “The other ‘recalcitrant’ countries include Afghanistan, Algeria, China, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia and Zimbabwe, according to ICE.”)

So, what do you propose that the US do? Can we force other countries to accept our deportees who are their citizens?

Why are they allowed to refuse to take their citizens back? Is there an international law that allows this? Genuine question.

I do think we should be able to make them take their citizens back. We shouldn’t be forced to choose between unleashing them on the public and indefinitely paying to incarcerate them if they are here illegally.

Pay no attention to the paragraph behind the curtain.

Hmmm, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia. I think I’ve heard those tossed around recently…

And Cuba too! Are we all happy that we have begun to vet arrivals from Cuba?

What is an “immigrant” in this discussion?
Are recently naturalized citizens included?

Gee…doesn’t take into consideration that they are all probably locked up for extended periods in prisons. This is propaganda for the naive and ignorant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.