Hundreds of NYPD officers turn backs on Mayor Bill de Blasio at funeral of slain Det. Wenjian Liu

Hundreds of NYPD officers in dress blue, joined by cops from other cities, turned their backs Sunday to Mayor Bill de Blasio in silent protest as the city’s chief executive delivered the eulogy at the Brooklyn funeral of slain Officer Wenjian Liu in Brooklyn.

Packing the street for blocks outside the Dyker Heights funeral home, they faced away from de Blasio’s image on large television screens set up so the service’s overflow crowd could watch the memorial.

But many other officers, particularly those standing closer to the funeral home, did not join the protest and faced the screens, listening to the mayor reflect on Liu’s life.

newsday.com/news/new-york/hundreds-of-nypd-officers-turn-backs-on-mayor-bill-de-blasio-at-funeral-of-slain-det-wenjian-liu-1.9772292

It’s all so sad. :frowning:

I fully support the gesture of the officers. I do believe de Blasio’s rhetoric played a role in creating an atmosphere of green lighting hostility and aggression towards the NYPD (there is also of course a wider national trend along these lines). I put a lot of this back on the Ferguson riots - how the media and even the White House became involved in the narrative - and subsequent anti-police events since then.

I cannot side with these officers.

• A funeral is not about the mayor, or laws, justice, nor injustice
  • It is about commending a loved one to the care and the glory of God the Father.
  • It is about giving strength to those that were loved
  • It is about a life lived and people touched.

IMHO, it is a blasphemy to use anyone’s funeral as a place of political protest and it shows disrespect to the family, to the one that will no-longer be there to aid and comfort those in need, and to our Creator… of all the places, of all the practices, of all the things we humans do, what is it that we cannot set aside our differences when we walk thru a church/mosque/temple to attend a funeral - the angel of death has no prejudiced and comes for us all in the end… where is our empathy for our neighbor :frowning:

when did we lose our humanity?

-]/-]

Agreed.

I agree with you. There wouldn’t be a funeral for these two police officers if it weren’t for the liberal media and liberal politicians encouraging the public to hate the police and siding with the crowds that were chanting that they wanted dead cops. So they had to know that this would happen.

I agree with you. There is a time and place for everything, and a funeral is not the time or place for politics. In case one might think I am playing politics, I also believe the protests against the police should have been suspended at least for one day after the NYC police officers were murdered.

There is a time and a place of protest. This was not it.

Perhaps the timing wasn’t good, but I agree with them on what they are protesting. And these police officers don’t know if their own funeral could be next.

From what I understand the officers inside were respectful towards the mayor. The one who were outside turned their backs when the mayor was on the screen. I have no problem with what the officers did.

The police had their reasons. It is something that de Blasio needs to deal with.

All true, but neither side should “deal with (it)” at a funeral.

Deblasio went to the funeral to show respect for the slain officer. Apparently the police outside had another agenda in mind. Perhaps they should have asked the Westboro Baptist Church to join them in their protest

Westboro would no doubt have been more welcome than the person that many police see as inflaming the situation to where there were dead cops in the first place.

But I think the officers feel betrayed by the mayor and that he disrespected them which led to the inflamed emotions resulting in the assasination of two of their fellow officers.

The police officers and their union leadership can take up their grievances with the Mayor, as they are doing today, after the funeral is over.

Maybe they felt they were doing it for their fallen officers as much as for themselves.

Good point. However, I think their behavior was still inappropriate since it is viewed as a political act targeted toward the Mayor, and politics has no place at a funeral. In any case, what’s done is done; the officers did what they believed was the right thing. Now is the time for some serious talks.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.