Hundreds prepare protest against Islam chapter in Volusia Co. school textbook

From WFTV:Hundreds of people in Volusia County are preparing a protest against a textbook that’s in public schools across Florida.

They believe a world history book dedicates too much material to Islam and doesn’t focus equally on Christianity and other religions.

(snip)

District 2 Deltona commissioner Webster Barnaby said they just want balance.

“Why relegate Christianity to a footnote in an entire history book, and you give an entire chapter on the teachings of Islam?” Barnaby said.
I haven’t seen or closely reviewed a copy of this textbook (thankfully my offspring survived and is thoroughly finished with high school), so I can’t speak first hand. Here are some things that I have seen that would indicate bias:

[LIST]
*]If, for example, the say that “Jesus **claimed **to be a messiah” and then say “Mohammed **was **a prophet.”
*]If, for example, they call a conquest initiated by Christian forces as a massacre while calling Muslim-initiated conquest as a liberation
*]If, when talking about events like the Spanish Inquisition, they talk about torture, but don’t simultaneously talk about similar secular interrogation techniques (which were actually more barbarous)…while, at the same time, ignoring the “convert or die” policies of Islam
[/LIST]

The point is that all the stories I’ve seen on this textbook talk about “section count” but don’t address the tone and verbiage used.

While I haven’t actually seen this particular text, I have seen enough of them over the years…and most go out of their way to bash Christianity (particularly Catholicism). Not so much for what they say, but how they say it. Couple that with popular PC sensitivity to Islam, I could well imagine the reason why these parents are protesting.

[NB: I don’t mind them presenting a neutral point of view toward Islam…just not when it is coupled with the typical hostile POV given toward Christianity]

I wouldn’t have an issue with this if it was done correctly (Islam as a political and religious entity has had a large impact, both positive and negative, on world history). I’d wager a very large some of money that it won’t be done correctly.

It isn’t done correcly. My son’s “Social Studies” book was supposed to be World history this year (6th grade). I looked at the book before school started. Unbelieveable. Very long and descriptive chapter on Islam and mostly about the religion and not about history or contributions. Christian chapter very short and seemingly written by atheists. Verbage “Christians believe this and that” but in the Islam chapter it was written as fact based, had me scratching my head. If you are going to present something please present it in the same manner throughout.

I have since pulled both my kids and are homeschooling. I am blessed to be able to do this. I pulled them both because I do not like the way that common core is teaching. The history of Islam and Christianity is just one example of the failed curriculum but it was a big one for me.

I am old enough to recall when “world history” was not a subject in public education. The primary focus was on the history of western civilization, since the students, the U.S. and all of Europe are a product of western civilization. Of course, the history of western civilization is to a large degree coterminous with the history of Christianity. That seems to be a problem for modern educators.

I looked over a niece’s textbook on world history once, and it gave the impression of confusion and unrelated events. I can’t see any student grasping it. But if one begins with a strong grasp on the history of western civilization, one can then venture into other areas of world history more profitably.

Now I understand the chant of the old 1960’s protesters: “hey, hey, ho, ho; western civ has got to go!” It looks like they got their wish. And that’s partly why we see western civilization disintegrating before our eyes.

I also don’t have a problem with the book teaching about Islam. However, as others have said, they need to give equal time to Christianity and other religions as well. They also should be completely neutral in their wording of the book’s sections on religion. I feel like this would be the best way to satisfy the most people. But then again, there’s always going to be someone who is not satisfied no matter what.

I suppose that secularists really don’t like the fact that Western Civilization arose from the Judeo-Christian tradition. I recall an incident from my youth. I was talking to my cousin, who was not a Catholic, and had just completed his first year of college, including a survey course in the history of western civilization. He said to me, “Hey, I never knew that everybody used to be Catholic!” I just smiled. The history of western civilization, from the birth of Christ forward, at least, is the history of the Church, from which it arose. Even his secular university acknowledged that.

Good to know. Thank you for the information.

That is definitely true. The Catholic Church has had an enormous role to play in Western Civilization.

So where’s the “separation of Church and state” crowd on this??? :tanning:

I can imagine.

I am sure that the text would state that the religion started when the Angel Gabriel confronted Mohammed and told him to start taking notes on the Koran.

Anything less would be disrespectful—according to smarmy leftist political correctness at any rate.

It’s almost impossible to do textbooks right. I remember mine back in the day.
Islam was treated as this thing that just appeared and conquered half the world, followed by Crusades which Christians kept losing even though they were the good guys; then the Reconquista (yay!). No mention of the sieges of Vienna or the Battle of Lepanto. One or two references to Arab (not Islamic) contributions to math science.
I don’t think they show up again until the Shores of Tripoli.

In 9th ?] grade our history text was The Afro-Asian World :confused:

As for messiah/prophet, I think most Christians would allow that Mohammed was a prophet though a false one and most folks, even atheists, wouldn’t hesitate to call Jesus a prophet. The problem is that **all **non-Christians would object to stating Jesus was the Messiah.

As for “convert or die”, like the Inquisition it’s more complicated than that. Mostly Islamic rulers were glad to collect the extra tax levied on unbelievers but every so often the “religious right” comes to the fore.

Maybe someone beat me to the punch (I haven’t read any of the posts), but there was news awhile back relating Saudi money to our textbooks. Here are some of those headlines:

foxnews.com/world/2012/10/16/un-agency-funded-with-saudi-money-wants-to-edit-worldwide-textbooks/

counterjihadreport.com/2012/11/07/parents-win-fight-against-biased-saudi-funded-textbook/

republicaninthearts.blogspot.ca/2010/04/saudi-funded-us-text-books-claim.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.