Hungary's Orban rejects 'Sovietization' by Brussels, defends nation state

At a commemoration of a 1956 anti-Communist uprising, Hungary’s right-wing leader Viktor Orban said his country must stand up to Europe’s “Sovietization” and defend its borders against mass migration.

Orban, a critic of the European Union and an early opponent of the recent migration wave into the continent, said freedom in Europe depended on the nation state and Christian traditions.reuters.com/article/us-hungary-orban-idUSKCN12N0PJ

Hungary has traditional;y clung tightly to their sovereignty and Christianity. They have resisted the typical modern social trends.

Good for him. EU bullying is so unattractive. My own country is slavishly obedient to the EU, so I feel like he is giving me a voice.

While the 1956 uprising is admirable, it is unfortunate that it is being appropriated by a right-wing nationalist state when it was a workers’ movement.

I met several Hungarians over the years who escaped the country after the 56 uprising, and they were all Hungarian nationalists.

Some describe him as center-right, which the U.S. used to be and perhaps still is. If resistance to erasing Hungary as a separate nation with its own culture is “right wing”, then it’s hard to criticize it.

The fact that Hillary Clinton doesn’t like him is a pretty fair indicator that he can’t be all bad. Her desire to increase inflow from the Middle East and open U.S. borders to 600 million Latin Americans seems foolish compared to Orban’s restricting non-assimilable and potentially terrorist immigration.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.