Hurricane Ike-Galveston-Number of Dead?

When Ike hit Galveston—and the day after, the news reported:

-40% of the people who lived on Galveston Island didn’t evacuate for Hurricane Ike.

-140,000 people estimated remained on Galveston.

The numbers above are just Galveston. They don’t include Bolivar,
Gilchrist or High Island (and more)…

The numbers don’t add up…even on this blog-these folks realize:

khou.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28312

I’m tellin’ ya…I pray I’m wrong, but I fear the death toll is going to be enormous. And, of course an accurate count will never be known, as much has been washed out into the Gulf.

+Peace Be With You.

I’ll be following this thread. We don’t get much news about this out here. Everything is being overshadowed by the results of our State Election which occurred at the same time.

I used to live in Houston 28 years ago so I have some interest in the area.

Also, has there been any news on Cuba? Ike travelled from one end of Cuba to the other. There was no place to go to get out of the path of the storm yet even a search on the news has failed to bring up much at all.

Cuba stated only 4 or 5 deaths from Ike. But the physical damage must have been enormous. As for the U.S., I agree with the previous poster that the death count will go up by large numbers. I’ve ridden out hurricanes also, but never one as huge as this one. I would have been clear across the Ga. border if one of these babies was coming in.

I think there will be many never found. However, much of Galveston Island would be totally survivalable. Most of downtown and all of the Strand have survived many hurricanes. In fact, they had a nineteenth century ship moored there that lost nothing but its sails.

The west end of the island, though, has no storm wall and lies low. This is where the eye hit. There were some who decided to stay there. Unless they were in one of the best of built houses, they had no chance.

Bolivar Pennisular will also have some washed out to sea.

Where I live, Surfside only had one person stay that was known and he survived. But just today they found one drowned in a car that no one knew tried to stay.

The coroner said yesterday that there was no one searching for missing bodies. No resources will be spent on that while the need to find and and assist survivors overshadows everything.

It’s a communist country. When we do receive news-it’s not always accurate.

If it can be believed, the latest report from Cuba says 7 deaths.

Its hard to put a number on how many people were actually there. Yes Roy from surfside rode the storm out but the mayor knew about him because he was a local and they talked to him before him. There are others on the island that no one knew about. I believe it was the mayor of Crystal Beach who said “He is not pollyanna and knows the number will be higher than it is.”: The truth is a lot of people might have gotten swepted out to sea with the storm surge. A full account of people can’t be made until contact with those who left the island safely is determined. I think we will get a full account a few weeks/months from now when the city gets some what back to “normal”.

I can’t describe how galveston and houston and southeast texas were effected by this storm. The beach line is completely changed. Missing in some areas. Houses that use to be on the beach or behind the dunes are now sitting in the water. Whole towns have been wiped off the map.

Right now i started back to school on Wednesday (going to law school) and it is amazing to see and hear people’s stories. So many are still with out power. Its hard to pick up the pieces of your life when you can’t control any of it. So many of our fellow houstonians don’t have basic water or even food. We have been lucky with the weather. Its been in the low 80 with brezzes and no humity but that will change this weekend with a front. I would not be shocked if you hear reports of people dying do to health problems over the next week.

There were some people in San Luis that were already re-roofing at the water line. They were warned they were pouring their money down the drain, but they didn’t care. The GLO will claim all home that end up in front of the vegetation line. So even some of the standing homes are lost.

msnbc.msn.com/id/26765035/

Some of Ike’s missing may have washed away
With no idea of numbers, authorities say final accounting may take years

Believe me i know all about those houses. That is where our beach house is.Before the hurricane there were 14 houses that the state was trying to go after about being in front of the vegatation line. These people went as far as to make main made barriers to be behind the vegation line. I believe they have reported that 10 of them are now destoryed. Here is a picture of the San Luis pass. Its amazing to see the coast line in the bottom of the corner because houses that where hundreds of feet from the water line and behind the dunes are now beach front property or have water under them.

ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/ike/geo-C25881544.jpg

also news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_re_us/ike_beach_houses

The reason: A 1959 law known as the Texas Open Beaches Act. Under the law, the strip of beach between the average high-tide line and the average low-tide line is considered public property, and it is illegal to build anything there.

Over the years, the state has repeatedly invoked the law to seize houses in cases where a storm eroded a beach so badly that a home was suddenly sitting on public property. The aftermath of Ike could see the biggest such use of the law in Texas history.

“I don’t like it one bit,” said Phillip Curtis, 58, a Dallas contractor who owns two homes — a $350,000 vacation home and a $200,000 rental — on Galveston Island’s Jamaica Beach. “I think the state should allow us to try to save the houses. I don’t appreciate the state telling people, `Now it belongs to us.’ It breaks your heart.”

The former state senator who wrote the law had little sympathy.

“We’re talking about damn fools that have built houses on the edge of the sea for as long as man could remember and against every advice anyone has given,” A.R. “Babe” Schwartz said.

has anyone who lives in the houston area heard if webster, texas received a lot of damage?

i used to have relatives who lived there, but i am not sure if they moved or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.