Husband gives bible to his wife's killer

NY Post:

Husband gives bible to his wife’s killer

Had Noel Pumarejo given his wife’s murderer a piece of his mind in court today, no one would have faulted him.

Instead, speaking at a podium in an emotional Manhattan sentencing, Pumarejo gave the man who’d senselessly stabbed his beloved Sandra a bible and a piece of his soul.
“God is going to be with you,” Pumarejo sobbed, his hand on a boxed bible and his eyes on David Andrango, 32, who slaughtered his wife over $10,000 in missing gold when they worked together at an Upper East Side boutique three years ago.

“Just read this bible, and come to him, and save your soul. God bless you, David,” he told the killer.

I probably would have gone with something more like, “Rot in Hell, you SOB.” :frowning:

[FONT=Book Antiqua][size=2]. . . forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
[/FONT][/size][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Before I was even converted to the Catholic Church, the story of Pope John Paul II sitting down with his attempted killer moved me. He has been one of my heroes ever since I can remember, because of his forgiveness. I don’t know if I’m that strong…

God bless this guy for keeping it going.

What a beautiful testimony to God's Love and forgiveness.

May we all take a hard look at this and pray on it.

Let us not say - "Oh I couldn't do that" (negative) but rather pray, "Father grant me a forgiving heart like this man's"

Peace
James

I’d agree that I also would probably have given him something different (like something that makes a person die of lead poisoning quickly, a.k.a. a speeding bullet from a loaded gun.) As nice as I try to be or may think that I can be, I don’t know if I would have been able to do that. God bless that man.

God help me, I probably would have, too. There’s too much of the old Air Force sergeant in me, as well as twenty-plus years of law-enforcement officer… :frowning:

That man’s place is assured in heaven.That was a supreme work based upon a supreme and unshaken Faith.

Several years ago our parish priest gave a sermon based upon the reaction of a man near St Catharines Ontario who had lost his wife and 8 children in a farmhouse fire.The man was a member of the local Brethren in Christ Church.The man’s reaction was,"At least I’ve got my Faith to comfort me."
Real Faith is practised always and when it’s most difficult not just when it’s convenient.

One thing that perhaps we should all recognize in this is the time line.

Who knows what the man’s reaction was at the time of his wife’s death. Probably the same or similar to many reactions posted here. But over time, some three years in this case, he had the opportunity to reflect, and also good councelling and deep prayer. So, by the time of the pre-sentencing hearing, he had moved past much of his anger and grief and was able to extend, not the fist of condemnation, but the open hand of salvation.

I pray that the guilty one learns from the “thief” on the cross and embraces salvation through our Dear Lord. That this guilty man, the slain wife, and her dear husband will all meet one day in heaven before the throne of Our Dear Lord, in Love and Praise.

Peace
James

For those that say they can’t forgive something like this let me tell you how it’s done.
[LIST=1]
*]First you pray and ask God to help you forgive.
*]Always keep in mind what our Lord taught us “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us”
*]Then most importantly, pray for that person whenever you have a bad thought about them. When the bad thoughts go away, continue to pray for them daily.
[/LIST]
Alone we would have a very hard time with this, with God though anything is possible.

Well Said :thumbsup:

Peace
James

heh… :o

This why we have a judicial system. Most would want to take the law into their own hands. The judicial system protects us from doing so. One can still be forgiving and also seek justice.

In God’s mercy, He punishes the guilty. Mercy is not just forgiveness it is also correction. If we correct the guilty before they die, we are doing them a serivce. We are serving their soul and preparing them for God’s final judgment.

If we simply forgave, there would be no justice for this woman and a killer could go free to kill again or commit other heinous crimes.

We forgive for ourselves and so that we do not stoop to the level of a criminal.

This man was merciful and forgiving and I feel he did this for his wife’s memory and for the salvation of his own soul.

This story reminds me of a part in “The Mystical City of God”, which was dictated by Our Lady to the Venerable Mary of Agreda. Our Lady uses the illustration of witnessing the Roman solidier, Longinus, pierce the side of Jesus with a Lance when Jesus was hanging crucified on the cross. According to Our Lady’s account, she was heartbroken and couldn’t help but wonder what new sorrow would be afflicted on the body of her son, even now that he had died. She earnestly prayed to the Father in heaven to give light to the soldier, reminding Him that her son had given His life for his soul too. At that time, Longinus was instantly converted as the blood and water gushed forth from the side of Jesus and he proclaimed that He truly was the Son of Man. Our Lady instructs the reader that when we are afflicted to pray for the afflicter – that by this unselfish gester the afflicter receives a special grace of conversion and the one who is praying (the afflicter), receives grace to grow in virtue that they would not merit had they not been afflicted.

I know this is a lengthy reply, but I like to share that. I haven’t read it in a while but I hope I have relayed the essence of her message. I don’t know if I could forgive like that either–as I enter the menopause stage of life, I find forgiving even the simplest things is not as easy as it used to be for me.

God bless each of you:-)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.