Husband won't get annulment from his first wife. Is there anything I can do?

I’m in the 3rd month of RCIA and I’ve run into a snag. I’m not having any trouble getting my anullment to go through, but my husband doesn’t want to have an anullment from his first wife. He says that if he does that, his son will be a bastard. I’ve told him that it’s only the Catholic church that doesn’t recognize his first marriage and that legally nothing changes for Jake(his son) or for him or his first wife. If he won’t get the anullment, I won’t be able to be received into the church. Isn’t that right? I don’t know what to do now. Any suggestions? I also wanted to mention that my husband has a bachelors degree in theology(Pentecostal). Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Sally Lighty :frowning:

Dear Sally,

You might mention to your husband that without his annulment, you can still become a Catholic, IF you live as brother and sister—and you really want to become a Catholic! This might be motive enough for him to reconsider his stance. Good luck! You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.