Husband won't sign papers

I filed for divorce back in April (2010) and as of today my husband still has not signed the divorce papers. Meanwhile, he has already started going on dates, yet he knows that I will not date or begin to move on with my life until the divorce is final and I have completed the annulment process through the church.

I have felt very strongly that I am supposed to be patient and wait for him to sign the papers rather than threaten further legal action or report his actions to his military command (he could get in major trouble for dragging his feet…)

But I am starting to lose heart and now I just feel like I’m being taken advantage of. If God has told me to be patient, does that mean that I should just sit and wait for HIM to get my husband to sign the papers? Am I showing a lack of faith in God if I pursue legal action to finalize my divorce?

More than anything I do not want my husband to participate in the annulment process because I know if he chooses to, it will drag it out infinitely (he absolutely will not be in any hurry to get paperwork turned in). My thought is that if I am patient now with waiting on the divorce papers, then perhaps during this time he will find someone new and not care about the annulment, and I will be able to move on with my life?

Not sure. I guess maybe I’m just thinking out loud here…

It’s just so frustrating when I feel like I’m being taken advantage of :frowning:

Continue to be a doormat, or look out for yourself.

Talk to your lawyer.

No, it would not be a lack of faith in God to proceed with legal action and actively work toward a resolution.

+1 to Catholic90’s post above.

In my state there is a one year waiting period. Could it be the same where you live? This waiting period is suppose to allow both parties to have a "think it over period" or some such thing. I believe if it is not signed by years end the divorce goes through anyway.

In my state, only one person needs to sign. You get someone to serve the papers, meet in court to divide assets and custody, and then you're divorced in about 6 months.

You should talk to your lawyer about what needs to be done in your state.

Here is some scripture on divorce. Please look to the Lord and do not lose hope in Him.

Matthew 5:31-32 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

Malachi 2:13-16 Another thing you do: You flood the LORD’s altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer looks with favor on your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. You ask, “Why?” It is because the LORD is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant.

Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.

“The man who hates and divorces his wife,” says the LORD, the God of Israel, “does violence to the one he should protect,” says the LORD Almighty. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful.

Matthew 19:3-9 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female, and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.