Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients

Game over!

Hydroxychloroquine Has about 90 Percent Chance of Helping COVID-19 Patients

In a letter to Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) presents a frequently updated table of studies that report results of treating COVID-19 with the anti-malaria drugs chloroquine (CQ) and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ, Plaquenil®).

To date, the total number of reported patients treated with HCQ, with or without zinc and the widely used antibiotic azithromycin, is 2,333, writes AAPS, in observational data from China, France, South Korea, Algeria, and the U.S. Of these, 2,137 or 91.6 percent improved clinically. There were 63 deaths, all but 11 in a single retrospective report from the Veterans Administration where the patients were severely ill.

The antiviral properties of these drugs have been studied since 2003. Particularly when combined with zinc, they hinder viral entry into cells and inhibit replication. They may also prevent overreaction by the immune system, which causes the cytokine storm responsible for much of the damage in severe cases, explains AAPS. HCQ is often very helpful in treating autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Peer reviewed studies, etc. etc. more info at link.

AAPS Letter Asking Gov. Ducey to Rescind Executive Order concerning hydroxychloroquine in COVID-19

https://aapsonline.org/aaps-letter-asking-gov-ducey-to-rescind-executive-order-concerning-hydroxychloroquine-in-covid-19/

God bless the doctors for this advice that will undoubtedly save lives. Complete defense of the drug.

1 Like

The MO is to keep pushing this drug I see

I’d say the MO is to oppose giving people the chance to live. Why do you oppose them having that chance?

The fact that certain posters of a certain political persuasion continue to choose the HCQ hill to die on is odd. And yet, it isn’t…

Get over it.

6 Likes

Do a little research, people! Whenever you see an outrageous claim like the one in the OP, take a close look at the source. It sounds quite professional. But don’t be fooled. Despite its high-sounding name, the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons is nothing more than a conservative political action group. It does not represent doctors. It represents far-right political interests. Take a look at what else you can see on their website:

1. How to opt out of Medicare (for doctors).
  2. Donate today to save private medicine. (opposition to the ACA)
  3. In the current battle over health care “reform,” the AAPS helped organize numerous physician rallys and has a pending lawsuit suit in the DC Federal District Court challenging the constitutionality of the ObamaCare insurance mandate.

Trusting an opinion piece on covid-19 from this bunch is like trusting the NRA to deliver a report on gun control.

Don’t fall for the professional-sounding name. This is nothing more than a front for right-wing politics.

Just an example of the poor science represented in this article:

Scientifically, this means nothing, because if you take any random collection of covid-19 patients and treat them with nothing at all, you will also get 91% or better recovery. Adding HCQ does nothing, and the statistic is a blatant attempt to confuse the layman.

4 Likes

Like I described to my elderly mom.
Yes, if you have 4-6 hours to live, of course take it.
I continued, I liken it to falling off a very high cliff. On the way down someone asks," would you like to try these two large feathers to flap."
I told her, you would take the feathers.
Ultimately the medical and engineering reality in both cases are irrational, which is acceptable when you will be gone tomorrow anyway

Yea, and it’s evidence based. If you give antivirals early in the infection cycle, they do really help.

Results

A total of 1061 patients were included in this analysis (46.4% male, mean age 43.6 years – range 14–95 years). Good clinical outcome and virological cure were obtained in 973 patients within 10 days (91.7%). Prolonged viral carriage was observed in 47 patients (4.4%) and was associated to a higher viral load at diagnosis (p < .001) but viral culture was negative at day 10. All but one, were PCR-cleared at day 15. A poor clinical outcome (PClinO) was observed for 46 patients (4.3%) and 8 died (0.75%) (74–95 years old). All deaths resulted from respiratory failure and not from cardiac toxicity. Five patients are still hospitalized (98.7% of patients cured so far). PClinO was associated with older age (OR 1.11), severity at admission (OR 10.05) and low HCQ serum concentration. PClinO was independently associated with the use of selective beta-blocking agents and angiotensin II receptor blockers (p < .05). A total of 2.3% of patients reported mild adverse events (gastrointestinal or skin symptoms, headache, insomnia and transient blurred vision).

Conclusion

Administration of the HCQ+AZ combination before COVID-19 complications occur is safe and associated with very low fatality rate in patients.

2 Likes

Well then you know more than the whistleblower. So we will see. I don’t know this medicine well enough to evaluate as a medical expert.

It’s good to see research testing HQC and Zinc, not just HQC.

• The main finding of this study is that after adjusting for the timing of zinc therapy, we found that the addition of zinc sulfate to hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin was found to associate with a decrease in mortality or transition to hospice among patients who did not require ICU level of care, but this association was not significant in patients who were treated in the ICU.
  • Our findings suggest a potential therapeutic synergistic mechanism of zinc sulfate with hydroxychloroquine, if used early on in presentation with COVID-19
1 Like

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-cautions-against-use-hydroxychloroquine-or-chloroquine-covid-19-outside-hospital-setting-or

https://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/Sep2015/Hydroxychloroquine.htm

@PaulinVA
I recall reading the Brazil doctors are now under review, for intentionally harming the patients. They were overdosing the patients with 1200 mg daily and they observed known OD side effects.

2 Likes

I just grabbed a bunch of articles.

I really would like there to be a treatment. I’m not thinking about treatments from a political ideology. However, I think some pushing hydroxychloroquine are.

All in all, treatments help us open the economy safely, so I’m all in favor of them.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sure.

1 Like

And it is suspicious that it is only addressed to only one Governor?

Victoria, what’s up with this constant need to denigrate other posters who might not agree with you.?
Please don’t question my morality.

Actually, I’ll tell you what. I’m going to put you on ignore, and why don’t you ignore me. I’ve had it.

1 Like

Yet you post negative comments re its use.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Our objection is to promotion that has political motives. It’s like decades ago when pro abortion scientiests were madly pushing research into fetal stem cells. Turns out that adult stem cells are just as efficient. People pushing stuff for political/financial ends hamper the development of good unbiased cures.

You’re right. Unfair test that doesn’t reflect what physicians actually do.

But I think you miss the point. Conservative publications don’t have the right to have opinions, let alone to express them. All opinions by conservative organizations are automatically wrong. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, but bad orange man supports it, so we should oppose regardless of it effectiveness

2 Likes

Says no one.

What political motives were there for advocacy of hydrochloroquine + azithromycin initially? There were none. It was thought by many physicians that it has therapeutic effect, and still is. It became “political” only when Trump spoke encouragingly of its efficacy. His detractors then “made it political” by attacking him and everyone else who advocated HQ + Az. The detractors then became advocates of Remdesivir which has approximately the same status with FDA and physicians as does Hydrochloroquine plus Azithromycin.

It is “political” only because the anti-Trumpers made it “political”.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.