Hymn during a wedding (I am the Bread of Life)?

I’m getting married later this summer. It is to a non-Catholic, but it will be a Catholic service (but no mass). We’re at the part where we are picking out readings and hymns. One of my favorites has always been ‘I am the Bread of Life’. My fiance is ok with including it, but I had someone mention to me that they thought it was primarily a hymn used in funerals. I’ve heard it after communion, at weddings, and at funerals. Because there is no mass, I’d have to put it somewhere else in the service than around communion.

Any thoughts on this being an appropriate song during a wedding service (where ~ half will be non-Catholics)?

Personally, I associate it with funerals and whenever it gets sung during Mass it reminds me of all the people whose funerals I’ve been, and I have try not to cry. Personally, I wouldn’t go with it, and it really is a communion song, so I don’t know where it could fit. What about something like Ave Verum Corpus? That’s a good hymn.

Doesn’t work.

While not a funeral hymn, the reference to death and the “Last Day” make it more mournful than nuptial in meaning.

And our LORD in Communion is THE bread of life. Why sing about what is not there (i.e., the Eucharistic Body)? There also is no place it would logically go.

ICXC NIKA

Why not sing something like Ave Verum Corupus? We are the latin rite, after all.

I like it because I like the scripture it is based on, but yes I hear it most often at funerals for some reason, like On Eagle’s Wings, it has been co-opted for that use.

Your parish might have a list of approved music better check that out first. Have you talked yet to your cantor or music director?

We are not allowed to use it here at all because our pastor does not like songs that have God speaking in first person, in the mouths of cantor, choir or congregation. We also have never been allowed to use songs that use the name “Yahweh.”

There are plenty of hymns that are in use both by Protestants and Catholics so you can keep that sensitivity in mind as well. Talk to the music director or whoever will be doing the music for you.

If you mean a soloist before the wedding, they usually have a standard list of songs. (or pastor forbids “sunrise sunset” however).

Really? Where does that put the psalms? A couple of weeks ago, I sung this at Mass:

I am The Lord your God, hear my voice.
[INDENT]An unfamiliar speech I hear:
“I relieved his shoulder of the burden;
his hands were freed from the basket.
In distress you called, and I rescued you.”
I am The Lord your God, hear my voice.
“Unseen, I answered you in thunder;
I tested you at the waters of Meribah. (mer-i-bah)
Hear, my people, and I will admonish you;
O Israel, will you not hear me?”
I am The Lord your God, hear my voice.[/INDENT]

It appears he effectively banned many of the psalms from being sung. :eek:

You are free to use it in a wedding, and it could be very appropriate.

I have seen it use din weddings before. It expresses one of the basic beliefs of the Church, very well.

It’s YOUR choice, not people on thei forums.

When our daughter was married almost 3 years ago, the organist sent a list of songs. No joke - there were some Disney and Hollywood songs on the list! We went with the traditional songs/ hymns.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.