Hymns of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Has your church used any of the following hymns of the Blessed Virgin Mary? Immaculate Mary or Virgin Full of Grace or Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above What is your favorite hymn?

At the last parish I was at, the most common hymn that we used was “Immaculate Mary.”

We also sang" Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above," too. That one is my favorite. :slight_smile:

I fibbed. Actually my favorite is Ave Maris stella, hands down. I sing it every evening with my Rosary.

I think if everyone sang one Marian hymn a day they’d begin to experience wonders.

I picked the Hail Holy Queen because it is the easiest tune for me to carry. It takes a bucket for me to sing and I don’t always join in at church. That is motivated by love of neighbor in the pew next to me who may not think my idea of the tune is theirs.:stuck_out_tongue:

Glenda

I hunted down the medieval chant version of AVE MARIS STELLA when I heard that some abbess drove off barbarian invaders singing this while revealing the Blessed Sacrament…Would like to hunt down that story…It’s a beautiful and haunting hymn. Thanks for reminding me of it.
youtube.com/watch?v=NOipola4doE

All of the above when I was Music Director. My present parish tends to sing something out of Spirit and Song whose title eludes me at present.
But…
my all time favorite is “Ave Maria, O Maiden, O Mother” which comes out of the old St. Gregory Hymnal. We sang it as children along with about 17 other hymns for May Crowning.
love it love it love it. :harp:

We use Immaculate Mary quite a bit and Hail Holy Queen sometimes.

I love hymns so much that it is hard to keep a specific set of favorites- I find different ones meaningful in different ways at different times. Right now, my favorites are:

Hail Queen of Heaven the Ocean Star

O Purest of Creatures Sweet Mother Sweet Maid

We often use Immaculate Mary and Hail Holy Queen which are logistically good for long processions. I must admit that I have no great love for either as I find the words quite trite and the music simplistic.

There are some lovely simple congregational settings of the Ave Maria which I love.
My favourite Marian hymns are from the Anglican New English Hymnal:

For Mary, Mother of our Lord
youtube.com/watch?v=xzRMykx5wIo

Sing we of the Blessed Mother
youtube.com/watch?v=AtnEv8F6dN4

Hail O star that pointest (based on Ave maris Stella)
cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/o/s/hostpoin.htm

:bigyikes::extrahappy:Magnumo, Thank you for the thanks! I attended the December wedding of my friend Sandra at a Roman Catholic church. Her mother sang a solo rendition of Ave Maria. It was as lovely as Norma Zimmer sang it on The Lawrence Welk Show.

Magnumo, Thank you for the thanks! I attended the December wedding of my friend Sandra at a Roman Catholic church. Her mother sang a solo rendition of Ave Maria. It was as lovely as Norma Zimmer sang it on The Lawrence Welk Show.

Hail Queen of Heaven, the Ocean Star
O Sanctissima
Holy Light on Earth’s Horizon
Stainless the Maiden
Hail, Holy Queen
Hail, Heavenly Queen

I can’t pick between “Immaculate Mary” and “Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above”. However, my favorite isn’t on the poll: “Stainless the Maiden”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.