Hyper-criticism/mocking/ridiculing entertainment in the media

I was wondering this for awhile…

Are sources that provide entertainment by excessively mocking other people’s work in the media (typically for humor) morally acceptable?

While the criticism is typically warranted, I was wondering if there is a degree an entertainer-critic should hold themselves back.

Back in the old days, it was just Mystery Science Theater 3000 stuff, but nowadays the increasingly prevalent critics on YouTube that make their living doing this can be pretty virulent, to the point that say, video game developers are starting to get harassed, spurred on by insulting reviews.

There isn’t going to be a white/black distinction on where the line is, but Great Commandment is a useful enough way to show that mockery - even if said criticism can be backed up - does not have the good of other people in mind.

Circus Maximus.
History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme.

If there were no one watching/listening, it would go away.

+Below are some . . . blest . . . helpful truths from the . . . sweet . . . deep . . . counsel of our . . . Wonderful God’s . . . **Holy :bible1: Word **. . . for God’s children re understanding such activities . . .

[INDENT][INDENT]:bible1: "Let no man deceive you with vain words. For because of these things cometh the anger of God upon the children of unbelief. Be ye not therefore partakers with them. For you were heretofore darkness, but now light in the LORD. Walk then as children of the light.

For the
fruit of the light
is in all
goodness, and justice, and truth;
Proving what is
well pleasing to God:

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. … See therefore, brethren, how you walk circumspectly: not as unwise, But as wise: redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore become not unwise, but understanding what is the will of God." - Ephesians 5:6-11,15-17

:bible1: "Even so the tongue is indeed a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold how small a fire kindleth a great wood. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is placed among our members, which defileth the whole body, and inflameth the wheel of our nativity, being set on fire by hell. For every nature of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of the rest, is tamed, and hath been tamed, by the nature of man: But the tongue no man can tame, an unquiet evil, full of deadly poison. By it we bless God and the Father: and by it we curse men, who are made after the likeness of God.

Out of the same mouth proceedeth
blessing and cursing.
My brethren,
these things ought not so to be.

[LIST]]Doth a fountain send forth, out of the same hole, sweet and bitter water? [/LIST]
[LIST]
]Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear grapes; or the vine, figs?
[/LIST] [LIST]*]So neither can the salt water yield sweet.[/LIST]
Who is a wise man, and endued with knowledge among you? Let him shew, by a good conversation, his work in the meekness of wisdom." - James 3:5-13[/INDENT][/INDENT]

*In dedication to the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart :heart: of Mary . . .

God bless . . . *

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Blessed Counselor,
Sweet Spirit of Our Holy God
+
. . . thank you Blessed St. Jerome,
Holy Biblical :bible1: Translator+
. . . praise God from Whom ALL
*** blessings flow+ *
:harp:[/RIGHT]

I am a huge MST3K fan, but I dont think a comparison can be made to what they do versus what the other things you are talking about today. MST3K was just good natured ribbing, even some of time the people getting ribbed are laughing too, they were not out to destroy anyone though. The other media folks today that do this kind of thing truly are trying to destroy their enemies.

No. They’re not. There was a time when one could be critical but not nasty. On the internet, it’s the opposite, generally. But a backlash is occurring. Our largest competitor just shut down their forums. A well-known comic book artist has decided to just ignore the nonsense he’s getting. Another top (in terms of ranking) web site has threatened banning anybody who trashes/hates on the owner of any game company owner/producer.

Restraint? What’s that? Part of it is genuinely ill-mannered people being told they now have the “freedom” (an excuse word) to be insulting. The other part has to do with people who have personal issues and have decided to take out their personal anger and frustration on others. And some of them pride themselves on being able to tear apart others. This “he deserved it” mentally, also includes people with emotional problems and mental health issues.

There are limits but thanks to the media, we are constantly being told stories that it’s OK to be bad, to do wrong, etc. NONE of that qualifies as “entertainment.”

To entertain means to feel good after you’ve watched, read or played something, like a computer game. It took you to another world and you were briefly in another reality that was fun. Good, wholesome entertainment? Very hard to find. It’s been mostly perverted and people have grown less sensitive or even developed a desire to engage with it. That’s wrong. Just plain wrong. Especially when our fellow human being/creative person can be abused on youtube or wherever just because total strangers gave us their “permission.”

Wake up, people! You’re not free. You’ve been made a slave to immoral and crude behavior.

Be truly good to each other.

Ed

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Ed. You’ve given me some good things to consider and reflect upon. :thumbsup:

You’re welcome.

Ed

Thank you for the responses everyone, I’ll need to reflect on this.

:hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.