Hyper-offensive Kansas church group to protest local Marine’s funeral this week

A group from the Westboro Baptist Church, which travels the country directing incredibly vulgar and highly offensive messages toward homosexuals, the military, and Jews will be at a Virginia Beach funeral home on Wednesday, protesting outside the funeral of Lance Cpl. Kielin T. Dunn.

The young Marine was recently killed in action in Afghanistan.

Westboro Baptist Church members regularly demonstrate soldiers’ funerals with signs reading: “Thank God for IEDs!,” and “God Hates Fags!.”

The section on the church’s website announcing upcoming demonstrations, states the following about the fallen Marine, from Chesapeake: “The flag is a piece of cloth; it can not save your souls from the fires of HELL! You had better listen to us, or you will join Kielin T. Dunn in the Lake of Fire! He ignorantly sinned away his day of Grace and brought WRATH down on his head! You all put Antichrist Beast Obama in the White House, and there is NO HOPE! America is Doomed! Amen.”

In addition to protesting outside the funeral service, the group also plans to travel to Arlington National Cemetery the next day, to further harass this young man’s grief-stricken family.

Another message on their website directed at the U.S. military, reads: “God has put the IED into the hands of your enemies. He has turned back your bad-*** tanks with dirt-cheap IEDs. God Is Your Enemy and God Is America's Terror.”

The WBC group also plans the following protests throughout the area:

Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Landstown High School, Virginia Beach
Simon Family Jewish Community Center, Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach

Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Churchland High School, Portsmouth
Torah Day School, Portsmouth
Virginia Beach Convention Center, Virginia Beach
Norview High School, Norfolk

Source

Pray for them. Pray for them. Pray for them!

Any news on whether the Patriot Guard Riders will be there as well? I certainly hope they will be.

Hey, that’s a pretty cool group. I wonder how they stop the WBC though. Through violence?

I wouldn’t mind…hell… maybe I would join them.

[quote="Boddhissatva, post:5, topic:189101"]
I wouldn't mind...hell.. maybe I would join them.

[/quote]

I'm generally not a violent individual, but these.... people make me come close. I think they're sick. They give a bad name to Christians.

I"m not a violent person either…but some people deserve nothing but violence…

and these people aren’t Christians…they are antithesis of it.

I agree with Bodhisatva. I highly doubt that many non-Christians consider these guys to be the Christian orthodoxy.

If anything, they worship their Pastor Phelps more than adhering to their Christ.

[quote=Patriot Guard Mission Statement]The Patriot Guard Riders is a diverse amalgamation of riders from across the nation. We have one thing in common besides motorcycles. We have an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security. If you share this respect, please join us. We don’t care what you ride, what your political views are, or whether you’re a “hawk” or a “dove”. It is not a requirement that you be a veteran. It doesn’t matter where you’re from or what your income is. You don’t even have to ride. The only prerequisite is Respect. Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives.

• Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.

• Shield the mourning family and friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.

To those of you who are currently serving and fighting for the freedoms of others, at home and abroad, please know that we are backing you. We honor and support you with every mission we carry out, and we are praying for a safe return home for all.
[/quote]

they are yet another example of the distortion that comes from interpreting Scripture to suit ones own agenda.

so tragic to see more dumbing down of the faith. i’m not violent either, but i’d love to slap each and every one of them across the face three stooges style. better yet, i’d pay to watch them get clobbered in a theological debate.

I am amazed that they are still around, I dealt with almost 2 decades ago on a personal level. They were protesting a funeral for a male nurse who contracted HIV by a bad needle prick at a AIDs hospice, he had a lovely wife and a few children.

These people (I use the term generously) are cowards. They enjoy pouring out their contempt for humanity. One of these days someone’s going to say “enough is enough” and show them that there are consequences for their vile, despicable behavior. Freedom of speech wasn’t intended to sanction this stuff.

The Phelps family (which is what Westboro Baptist Church is) is a cult of publicity hounds. It is not Baptist and it is not a Church. The Westboro part is accurate. The fate of Fred, should he remain unrepentant, will be that of all false prophets. I have no words of sympathy or kindness for a parasite that thrives on inflicting suffering in others.

Before you make ignorant comments, try clicking the links that you quote in your responses.

You would be happy to know:

The Patriot Guard Riders is a diverse amalgamation of riders from across the nation. We have one thing in common besides motorcycles. We have an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security. If you share this respect, please join us. We don’t care what you ride, what your political views are, or whether you’re a “hawk” or a “dove”. It is not a requirement that you be a veteran. It doesn’t matter where you’re from or what your income is. You don’t even have to ride. The only prerequisite is Respect. Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives.

1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.
  2. Shield the mourning family and friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.

To those of you who are currently serving and fighting for the freedoms of others, at home and abroad, please know that we are backing you. We honor and support you with every mission we carry out, and we are praying for a safe return home for all.

They are in fact people, as we are all God’s children. However unfortunate their attitudes and behavior, they are expressing their very unpopular beliefs in a very public way. I’m not sure how that qualifies them as cowards.

My cousin in Nebraska is a member of the Patriot Guards and he said he would be going.

I live in the area and have a nephew at Landstown High. The Westboro group showed up there yesterday morning, but got very little attention from the media. Judging by the one tv report I did see about it, the students seemed to ignore them, too, so they didn’t create the stir they obviously expected.

And they didn’t show up, thankfully, at the funeral of Lance Corporal Dunn. It was raining and snowing most of the morning here; I imagine that was a major deterrent. Now it remains to be seen if they try to protest at Arlington. I have a feeling they won’t show up there, either.

Fred Phelps and his group have got to be among the saddest people I’ve ever seen. I feel most sorry for their children; they’re being taught the same hatred and twisted beliefs of their parents. We need to pray for all of them. :gopray:

ETA: By the way, the Patriot Guard Riders were indeed there to offer their support and protection. God bless them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.