Hypothetical situation : Multiple personality disorder and salvation!

Suppose a person suffers from multiple personality disorder and has 7 different personalities.

In each personality, he believes in a different religion, as shown. Will he be saved???

http://lovethefaith.org/MPD.bmp

Let’s assume there really is such a thing as multiple personality disorder (there is a lot of controversy among psyc-dudes).

And we will assume (being also Christian) that he is Baptized.

Of course, the Church has not spoken on this subject. But we know that the person has only one soul. The “rules” would not be different for him - if he is not in a State of Grace, he is condemned.

How he behaves when any particular personality is dominant could lead to condemnation, though if this personality had no real knowledge of Jesus then the concept of invincible ignorance would apply, just as it applies to any other Muslim, Hindu, etc.

Furthermore, if the Christian went to Confession, the absolution would also be effective for sins committed by any other personality (because Confession works even if we omit sins that we sincerely cannot recall).

Of course, his entire culpability for mortal sin is diminished because he obviously has mental problems.

1 Like

Within MPD (or Dissociative Identity Disorder, as it is now officially called) there is always (as far as I know), the one-primary person who is the actual person. The new personalities are usually formed as a way to cope with a tragedy. While under the actual control of the human person, as in the main person (not a separate personality) one would have conscious awareness of what one is thinking, but under the others they would not have an ability to commit a mortal sin as much of their thoughts, actions, and even knowledge is completely out of their control. For example, a women would not make up that they are a 12 year old boy even though they are really a 25 year old women; they actually believe they are a 12 year old boy. Therefore, invincible ignorance would apply while in those states, and a mortal sin could not really be committed in that state, in my opinion. Perhaps if they, in that state, knew what they were committing a mortal sin and still did it while meeting the conditions for mortal sin, it would be a sin, but truly only God would know such a thing. They only have one soul, however, so the state of their soul would depend on the acts, the gravity of the act, the degree of consent, and the full knowledge that they were committing a sin while in the mindset they were in. I am sure our merciful God would not condemn a person while in such a devastating and uncontrollable state. Only he knows how one’s mind functions under such conditions, so I will leave it up to Him to decide how one suffering from such a condition would be judged.

1 Like

A person with Dissociative Identity Disorder is a sick person suffering from disturbance of his/her identity. He/she cannot be held responsible for what he/she does while in the grip of any of these other identities.
From what I read, a common complaint of persons suffering this condition is forgetfullness. They cannot remember what occurred at an earlier period of time; i.e whatever they did during these “periods of stress”, if I can refer to changed personality periods that way.
I think that God would judge them according to how they live their lives when they are " normal"
To the best of my knowledge, even the courts do not punish sufferers of this condition should they find themselves apprehended while “an alter” and commiting a crime. I am open to correction :smiley:

In every post there seems to be an ignorant, jack-*** kind of response. I have the unadulterated pleasure of supplying the first here.

One seventh of the person will be saved,

God bless,

Lol.

On a more serious note, I was wondering what would happen in this scenario. Just before his death, his Christian personality goes to confession and then he switches to atheist mode and commits a murder. And his opponent’s gang shoots him and he dies as well. Difficult to judge!

This makes some sense, but as the following poster pointed out, one primary person is dominant. So I guess that prominent personality would be judged.

P.S.

He obviously never played Fischer or Kasparov. But I am surprised he ignored Capablanca!!! You play chess??

Well said.

Odhiambo also implied the same thing. So I guess the dominant personality is what matters.

Had an acquaintance who had MPD, back when it was called MPD. It’s called something else now… I don’t know what it is; I’m not up on my abnormal psych.

When she decided she was comfortable with our group of friends understanding her disorder, we talked about it at her place. I want to say she had maybe four different “other” personalities. Each one of those personalities had developed in an effort to protect her from something specific and traumatic— a period of intense loneliness, a period of depression. Each of her personalities was “her”, but it might be a warped version of her-- a strong, aggressive protector who could come front and center when she judged my friend couldn’t deal with it and needed a buffer; or it might be a version of her stuck in time-- like a perpetually-five-year-old version of herself.

My friend had no memories of the personalities when they were front and center, but the personalities were always aware of what was going on. The primary alternate personality, the aggressive protector, knew all of the other personalities; but not all the personalities knew each other. We eventually annoyed the protector so much that she came front and center to correct us on some stuff we were talking about. It was also interesting in that she said that once my friend was able to come to grips with the traumas that had created them in the first place, they would no longer be necessary, and they would leave.

Anywhoo, ever since then, Hollywood-esque MPD has annoyed me a lot. :slight_smile: You might as well ask, “If a guy is a Hindu on Monday, and a Buddhist on Tuesday, and a Christian on Wednesday, and he dies on Thursday when he’s a Muslim, is he going to be saved?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.