Hypothetical situation - please help

A person really really really wants something, but they don’t know if they were meant to have it. They have been playing about it devoutly for months. Then something happens that makes the person want it even more. Does this mean that the answer is likely yes? God wouldn’t do something that would make a situation harder for someone if they’ve been constantly praying about it, would he?

Wouldn’t that depend on what is wanted? - To win the lottery or to become more devout, e.g,. If it’s of spiritual value, the deeper desire could be a sign that this is within God’s will. If it’s of material value, the deeper desire could be a temptation against trust in God’s providential care.

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to answer that sort of question in the abstract. It’s probably also impossible to answer it in the concrete, either.

Here’s my situation: I’ve wanted to marry this man who I have been dating for about 4 years but my parents would not give their blessing for me to do it. They had specific reasons why, which I understood, but saw in a different light.

My boyfriend and I both prayed during that four year period and slowly but surely my Mom (at least) became more friendly to my boyfriend. And now we’re at a point where they both said “You can do what you want to since you’re an adult and you have our blessing”. And now we’ll be getting married sometime next summer.

So I can understand how seeing such events would motivate you to keep going and keep praying.

I can’t say exactly that you’re in the same situation, but I do hope whatever it is that you want, God wants for you too.

Not necessarily. What if the something that someone wanted was to rob a bank? What if they really, really wanted to. And one day, they had an idea how to do it easily with minimum chance of getting caught? That’s not God’s will. That’s Satan’s will, and he is the father of lies and a murderer from the beginning. His total will is to destroy humans. And he’ll tell any lie or present any temptation in order to do so. He has nothing to lose. We have everything to lose.

Always measure up what we “want” against the 10 Commandments, using the virtues (such as prudence) to measure our wants against. :slight_smile:

=DaneClark;6901858]A person really really really wants something, but they don’t know if they were meant to have it. They have been playing about it devoutly for months. Then something happens that makes the person want it even more. Does this mean that the answer is likely yes? God wouldn’t do something that would make a situation harder for someone if they’ve been constantly praying about it, would he?

***He, God MIGHT do that?

Hard to give specific advice without knowing you and what your asking for.

IF, your asking for something NOT specifically related to your Spiritual Good; you should know this is the least likely kind of prayer to get God’s support of. NOT IMPOSSIBLE; but quite low of the “will do list.”

My advice to all; ALL OF THE TIME, is to end each and every prayer requst with “not my, by your will be done Lord.”

Keep in mind that God does answer all prayer request, BUT 1. not awways with yes; sometimes “No,” sometime MUCH later, Sometimes in a manner vastly different than we asked or expect.

God has as HIS GOALS our Spiritual well being uppermost in His mind and heart. We ought to ask, and then allow God time to react. Further we should not expect a “yes” to all request as only those that are for our Good, our betterment will be granted.

Love and prayers,
Pat***

I guess what I’m trying to ask is:

If a person has been constantly praying about a situation for monthes, God wouldn’t allow anything to happen that would give that person false hopes unless there was a very, very good reason to, would he?

=DaneClark;6904184]I guess what I’m trying to ask is:

If a person has been constantly praying about a situation for monthes, God wouldn’t allow anything to happen that would give that person false hopes unless there was a very, very good reason to, would he?

Certainly NOT by intent. But there is an area of “ones own perception” that God does not control.

Love and prayers,
Pat

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.