Hypothetically speaking

What if a Catholic you know is a, say, a Freemason? What would you do?

-Karl

Ask them if they know that the Church teaches that this is incompatible with the Catholic faith.

If they do not know then I would provide them with the resources to show what the Church teaches.

If you're in my circumstances where you learned of this information in your office and are under strict privacy laws, you make ambiguous suggestions that he talk about Freemasons and the Church during his sermon.

I have spoken to several people about Freemasons and many believe that there are Freemasons in the Catholic Church. Certain groups of people also claim that the Freemasons are the ones leading the Modernist cause and they cite people like Our Lady of Quito, Pope Pius X, Our Lady of Akita and Our Lady of Sallette, including several priests, bishops and cardinals.

This is all confusing me.

-Karl

I got the following from the EWTN website:

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states, "Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward and punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiative and burial rites" (vol. 6, p. 137).

Masonry is also a secret society. Its initiates subscribe to secret blood oaths that are contrary to Christian morals. The prospective Mason swears that if he ever reveals the secrets of Masonry—secrets which are trivial and already well-known—he wills to be subject to self-mutilation or to gruesome execution. (Most Masons, admittedly, never would dream of carrying out these punishments on themselves or on an errant member).

Historically, one of Masonry's primary objectives has been the destruction of the Catholic Church; this is especially true of Freemasonry as it has existed in certain European countries. In the United States, Freemasonry is often little more than a social club, but it still espouses a naturalistic religion that contradicts orthodox Christianity. (Those interested in joining a men's club should consider the Knights of Columbus instead.)

The Church has imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become Freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 code of canon law (canon 2335), and it is implicit in the 1983 code (canon 1374).

Because the revised code of canon law is not explicit on this point, some drew the mistaken conclusion that the Church's prohibition of Freemasonry had been dropped. As a result of this confusion, shortly before the 1983 code was promulgated, the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued a statement indicating that the penalty was still in force. This statement was dated November 26, 1983 and may be found in 13/27 (Nov. 15, 1983), 450.

While theyre not directly connected, alot of members of The Orange Order are Masons, which tends to lead one to believe the Masons are indeed Anti-Catholic. But you seem to be inquiring about Mason "moles" as it were, infiltrating the Church Hierarchy? Am I correct in that assumption, or did I put the carriage before the proverbial horse?

[quote="CarloMagnus, post:4, topic:278012"]
I have spoken to several people about Freemasons and many believe that there are Freemasons in the Catholic Church. Certain groups of people also claim that the Freemasons are the ones leading the Modernist cause and they cite people like Our Lady of Quito, Pope Pius X, Our Lady of Akita and Our Lady of Sallette, including several priests, bishops and cardinals.

This is all confusing me.

-Karl

[/quote]

Well of course their are Freemason's in the church! Its no particular secret. Some "Masonic-Catholics" don't know or don't understand or don't care about the church's prohibition against membership, but existence such Catholics who joined Freemasonry is not in dispute,

Whether Freemasonry has anything to do with "Modernism" is another, more complicated question...

I actually know of at least one, but he is fallen away and does not got to Mass - so a lapsed Catholic - and I have never been talking to him directly, never mind bringing up this issue. However, I would not hesitate to bring up the issue with someone I knew was a mason or mason friendly. The members on the Parish council in my parish have openly told me that there is nothing wrong with being a freemason "now". Also, the parish priest regularly tells people to go to the local Masonic Lodge for various functions! I have not heard of any parish priests talking about masonry in their sermons lately.

[quote="Keystone28, post:5, topic:278012"]
I got the following from the EWTN website:

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states, "Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward and punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiative and burial rites" (vol. 6, p. 137).

Masonry is also a secret society. Its initiates subscribe to secret blood oaths that are contrary to Christian morals. The prospective Mason swears that if he ever reveals the secrets of Masonry—secrets which are trivial and already well-known—he wills to be subject to self-mutilation or to gruesome execution. (Most Masons, admittedly, never would dream of carrying out these punishments on themselves or on an errant member).

Historically, one of Masonry's primary objectives has been the destruction of the Catholic Church; this is especially true of Freemasonry as it has existed in certain European countries. In the United States, Freemasonry is often little more than a social club, but it still espouses a naturalistic religion that contradicts orthodox Christianity. (Those interested in joining a men's club should consider the Knights of Columbus instead.)

The Church has imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become Freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 code of canon law (canon 2335), and it is implicit in the 1983 code (canon 1374).

Because the revised code of canon law is not explicit on this point, some drew the mistaken conclusion that the Church's prohibition of Freemasonry had been dropped. As a result of this confusion, shortly before the 1983 code was promulgated, the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued a statement indicating that the penalty was still in force. This statement was dated November 26, 1983 and may be found in 13/27 (Nov. 15, 1983), 450.

While theyre not directly connected, alot of members of The Orange Order are Masons, which tends to lead one to believe the Masons are indeed Anti-Catholic. But you seem to be inquiring about Mason "moles" as it were, infiltrating the Church Hierarchy? Am I correct in that assumption, or did I put the carriage before the proverbial horse?

[/quote]

Judging by the article, I'm leaning on the idea of "moles".

-Karl

Freemasonry is a banned topic. If you have further questions on the matter, please submit them to the apologists in Ask An Apologist.

CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.