I am a catholic teenager losing my faith!

i am a catholic teenager and for a number of years i have been losing my faith. I have had a lot of troubles in the past few years. Many people i have loved have died. good, caring people! I feel that if god had a plan and that everything IS for a reason then these people may have died in a less painful way than cancer! I truly wished i still believed as i want these people to be in heaven and with God but every time i think about God all i see is evil. The person closest to me that died helped me through a very bad time of my life and two weeks later she was dead. How can this be fair how can God be just when for Helping me- a child at the time- through a bad patch of life deserve to die in such a horrific way? I really hope someone has some answers as i am so afraid of losing my faith! I dont know where to turn. I have prayed and have had no answers i can not speak to my parents as they have no problem with their faith and would never understand!

Dear Teen,
Jesus said, "in the world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
I recommend that you look at a crucifix. Look at Jesus dying on the cross for us. He is not up in the sky somewhere looking down on us coldly, He is right in the middle of our pain with us, suffering with us. He knows about your loved ones who died. He cries for them too, He feels your grief. He cried when Lazarus died.
Take your pain to Jesus and Mary, and trust in their love for you and those who have died.
Dying is sad, but it’s not the worst thing. The woman who helped you through a bad time is no doubt with Jesus, watching you and praying for you. Her suffering is over and done, forgotten. She’s incredibly happy now. Be happy for her.
Ask Our Lady to put her arms around your friends, and be sure that they are in a much better place now than they were on earth.
I hope this helps, I know how painful it is when someone you love dies. Please don’t give up on Jesus, there is no happiness apart from him.

BB are you still here? Your name is greyed out and I think that means you stopped your membership. :frowning:

I am very sorry. :o Please don’t believe that the other person died because of you, it most probably was for other reasons :frowning: I will try to pray a Most Holy Rosary for you asap. Here is my best explanation for suffering from all my spiritual reading: God knows that the deepest misery that he allows us to wallow in can be restored back, as in the book of Job, so he allows us to suffer in order to have MERIT. Unless you are put to the test, you cannot demonstratably prove your love of God in a justifiable fair way. So why does God let us suffer, because he loves us. He says: *“I know you have a capacity to love me, and I will reward you eternally for your time-limited sufferings here on earth, giving no more than you have the capacity to bear, but stretching you to the limits of that capacity so that I have more reason to love and reward you in the after-life and in the future worldly ages. In order that I can reward you and love you more than you can ask or imagine, I ask you: if you really love me, prove it by offering yourself as a living sacrifice for me as did the martyred apostles, Jesus, and Mary, and the prophets of old. Through our sufferings, he breaks us like a doctor breaks a leg that was badly set, in order to build us back up.” *

I know this may not help and I may be sinfully or cynically making light of your pain, which I cannot even feel and you carry a very heavy burden at such a young age. The most profound Catholic theology book on suffering that I have read is “Dark Night of the Soul” ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/dark_night.html by St. John of the Cross, who lived a very painful life. I hope that you will deeply experience the LOVE, HAPPINESS, MERCY, and CONSOLATION of God in the midst of your grief. May the Blessings of on High be upon you! May the Immaculate Heart of Mary be your protection, patron, Mother, and shield! May the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary grant you the graces that you deeply desire and surely need!!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

I prayed for 19 years for workmates who would put medown I prayed every day for their salvation. About 7 to 9 of them came to the Lord accepted Jesus and the next thing I wa going to their funeral. one said when I saw him in hospital “Don’t worry about me oli I know where I’m going”.
My daughter, no one would listen (police) about the boyfriend, 9 years latter I met my daughter and in a place where i never should have been at that time, she told me that all I hade told her was correct and that she had come back to Jesus. 10 days latter I was called to the hospital she died and I know she is in heaven.
One of my sons came home and said that a friend who he was play fighting with had been hit by a passer by and killed, another a short time latter was going over a bridge a truck crossed the centre line and killed him. I carry on, it was not God’s fault they died, for God gives in love, but through our being human and sinfull others can and often will cause fault and take lives for this is the imperfection of the world.
God is love He will cover us is we should claim the blood of Jesus Christ over us day and night.
Read Gallations 5 :22, James 3:5 Matt 5: 1-10.
Studdy these love them eat them and they will fill you. Finally tell God you give yourself to Him compleatly nad tell Him to do with what He wants, even though you may be daughting.

Godbless

I’m so sorry about your loss… hugs
you might want to read up about the Church’s teachings on (earthly) suffering…it is not a punishment, it can actually be a way to sanctify us. Christ suffered more than anyone on the Cross… He doesn’t look down at us from above, He suffers WITH us where we are, He cries with us…He’ll take away ALL our pain in Heaven and really make up for it, by giving us perfect joy with Him forever… “blessed are those who weep” , it says. :slight_smile:
He knows that it can be really hard for us and our loved ones here. We’re not alone.
But since Christ sanctified (made holy) suffering on the Cross, if we take our suffering and unite it to His, it will have redemptive value… meaning that God will USE it to make us more holy like Him, and we’ll have more reward in heaven. In fact the Saints even called their own trials GIFTS from God, as hard as that is to understand sometimes… they even rejoiced in their suffering, which was often very very intense.
I know this might make God look cruel, but - really He didn’t invent suffering, it’s actually an evil thing that’s the result of sin… yet when He USES it, that’s how He takes something bad and turns it to good!! Think of what a defeat that is for the enemy…
our suffering can either send us to heaven or hell depending on how we see it. The blessed in heaven will thank God for their trials on earth. The damned in hell will curse Him for the same trials. It really depends…do we let it destroy our faith, or, do we use suffering in the world as an opportunity to show love to others, and offer our own pain to God by uniting it to the Cross…

remember that no matter what we go through it will never be worse than what He has taken upon Himself.

God had a choice… to either take away all our suffering now… or, to share in it, out of LOVE for us, and THEN take it away. He chose the latter.

I hope that makes sense… please don’t give up and pray, I really doubted all this at first when I heard about it but I think God has shown me it’s true…

God bless!

Hi Monica 4316, I am in an extream confused settings with txt’s from a person I have helped and also a work mate who i try to help that are very confussing. To the point where other people in the hospital are talkiing about how my work mate is treating me and I am trying to be godly but it is very hard, (smile, be happy be joyful when he puts me down).
Your note to i am a catholic… relates to me and uplifts me to a point.
Thank you
I pray you all have the best Christmas ever, with all God’s blessiings.
Godbless.

I had the same fear at your age.

I will keep you in my prayers. Love, Trishie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.