I am a Doubting Thomas

Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a blessed Lenten season so far. Holy week is just around the corner and I should be excited. I am going to be baptized this Easter. I received God’s call to faith when my Grandma died last October. I have been eager the whole RCIA process but now all of a sudden I am stricken by this surreal doubt. It is scary really. I went into this process with the mind set that all religions are true. However slowly the classes taught me so much about the Church and became convinced that this was the true faith. I know that it is in my mind but something is prodding me. I think that previous mind set it sprouting back up and causing me to doubt if this is the real true religion.

I never took much thought to the existence of satan or his temptations. I always thought that all the sins I committed were my own fault not the cause of satans prodding. I know satan is attacking my faith now. I ask that by the intercession of St. Michael the Archangel satan may be cast into the depths of hell never to destroy mans faith again.

I need prayers, I have never asked for prayers ever in my life. I never thought I would need prayers from other people. I do now, oh me of little faith. Everyone please pray that I become like the Apostle Thomas who after touching the Lords wounds proclaimed that he was his God. I need to overcome this doubt more than I need oxygen in my lungs. I truly love Jesus he is my rod and staff I find comfort in his arms. I need my rod and staff back.

I find it appropriate to call upon saints Thomas, Augustine, Joseph, Francis of Assisi, Thomas More, and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Along with all the angels and saints in heaven.

Thank you all this means so much for me, I am so stricken with doubt I can’t even pray for myself whatever will I do?

Peace and Blessings to you all

Rhuarc (currently a doubting Thomas)

Hi Rhuarc,

Welcome to the Church. Beliefe me you are not alone in your doubts. Please check out this thread posted by one of you fellow Confirmation candidates that is going throught he exact same doubts you are.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=658799

Hopefully, the advice listed in that thread will be helpful to you as well. Will be praying for you. Stay strong and keep moving towards Christ.

Friend, I am going through the exact same thing. See my prayer request.

It’s been difficult for me to pray lately, too, but I’ll pray for you if you’ll pray for me. And even if you won’t.

:slight_smile: Stay strong. Don’t let the devil keep you down.

(edit: I see DJK100 beat me to the punch. :wink: )

I am going through your exact same predicament. In fact, I’ve considered making my confirmation name Thomas (If I make it to confirmation by his grace) lol. I’ll pray for you.

Please pray for me as well.

Lord, I just read in a very pious book that this is exactly what Satan does to people who are looking to enter the Church. Please help Rhuarc and help him/her not to get discouraged or grow weak against Satan. Rhuarc has you and the angels and saints fighting for him/her, may he/she hold his/her ground and fight with all his/her might. May he/she pray the prayer: Jesus, I trust in you! … or the prayer: Lord, I believe; help my unbelief! … and may he/she repeat these prayers as often as he/she needs. Please help Rhuarc to fight courageously; may he/she win this battle. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Everyone I would like to update you all and say that the doubt has subsided. Praise the Lord on high. Jesus I trust in You!:slight_smile:

Continuing prayers for you,
from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Light of the world, you gave light to the man born blind when he had washed in the pool of Siloam,
enlighten catechumens through the water of baptism and the word of life.
– Lord, build up your people in love.

:blessyou:

This is totally normal–please don’t let it discourage you.

Hail Mary,
Full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and
Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

:signofcross:

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray: and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

I will pray that Our Lord continues to draw you to Himself, even in your doubts.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.