I am afraid I might have commited a mortal sin, and I wont be able to make it to confession

So this past Saturday I went to Confession since I will not be able to this next Saturday. It was very important I make it this past Saturday since of the fact that I will be getting my Confirmation, and First Holy Communion. However there is what I believe to be a very bad sin that I have recently committed (My luck) it is a sin I do struggle with, and now I do not know what to do. I am really upset, and I feel really bad. I do not know if I will be able to pull a priest before Mass real quick or what…but now I do not know what to do.

Make an appointment with the priest.

I second this post. A priest will be all to willing and happy to here your confession especially since you are coming into the church. I will say a prayer for you
God Bless you

I have been taught that AS LONG AS YOU are intent on going to confession as soon as possible you can receive Communion. All you can really do is try to see if a Priest will hear your confession once you are there. If you try but this can’t happen, then say an earnest prayer of sorrow and contrition and commit to going to Confession ASAP after the event.

What you could do is try making an appointment with your own parish priest. If that’s not possible in the time given, widen your search out until you find a parish that you can get to that can see you in time. If necessary, go to another city.

I’ve always read that this is in the case of grave reason. You cannot just go to Communion at Mass with Mortal Sin because you intend on Confessing tomorrow morning. This is a “you need to ask a priest” subject matter. Make an appointment.

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

The stipulation about celebrating Mass is for priests. Those in mortal sin must still attend Sunday Mass and not go to Communion.

Thanks, I can use all the prayers I get. Actually, I have to go to the church the morning of the day I will be getting my confirmation and first holy communion to do “rehearsal”. I wonder if it will be possible for me to talk to my RCIT director about me seeing a priest before the night of my confirmation and first holy communion.

Hi,

As the other users noted, you should call the parish and make an appointment with the priest. Just explain that you need to go to confession prior to your first communion. Talking to the RCIA director is fine, too.

Also visit this site: masstimes.org

If there are churches close by, one may offer confession during the week. I’d also visit the church websites and look at the online bulletin (usually a pdf). Typically, for Lent and Holy Week, churches offer Confession more frequently and you can see their special schedules on their bulletins.

One final thing: Say a prayer to the Blessed Mother and ask her to help you get to a confession. Recently, I needed to go and was in a somewhat similar situation. I asked for her intercession and I promised I’d pray a rosary to her in thanks if she could get me to Confession. About an hour and a half later, I bumped into a priest who heard my confession! :thumbsup:

I’ll say a few prayers that you’re able to get to Confession!

That is awesome! I will look to see if I can find any churches, however I also prayed to the blessed mother just as you did. Hopefully she will hear my prayer.

Check the times for reconciliation at your Cathedral.generally,they offer the sacrament a few times daily.You may be able to go as soon as tomorrow.God Bless you!

Well my teacher for RCIT(teens) said that this past Saturday was the only time I would be able to. I checked the times for other churches, and they all have their confessions on Saturday as well. I am scared they too will be closed for confession that day. It is okay though. I prayed for Mary’s help, and I do believe that when I go for rehearsal on Saturday, the director will make sure I see a priest. After all I chose the director to be my sponsor, so I know she will defiantly give me the guidance I need so that I may be able to talk to a priest. I will still continue to look for other parishes though to see if they have confession sometime during the week.

It’s Holy Week lots of churches will have extra confession times during this week. Check the church websites or call them for confession times.

Don’t wait that long. As others have pointed out, if you are in an area where churches are plentiful, see if there is time for confession scheduled during the week. (In our parish, for example, we have had confession every Wed. night during Lent.) Otherwise call the parish office or email the priest directly for an appointment. He may tell you it can wait until Saturday, but don’t assume the priest will have time to hear your confession then. (Unless, of course, there is regularly scheduled reconciliation time on Saturday before the vigil.)

The teachers aren’t always the most helpful when it comes to ‘out of the box’ issues. Can you email your parish priest? Ultimately, I would think he is the one who is responsible for making sure you are ready to receive. I know they are busy this time of year, but you shouldn’t have to explain to anyone other than a priest that you feel you might have committed a mortal sin.

You are right, plus the teachers might not be able to do much by this point. I just emailed my church about my situation so hopefully they will be able to find me a priest or parish to go to for confession. Lets just say worst comes to worst and I am unable to see a priest though…what do I do?

Try phoning the presbytery or another nearby one (some priests don’t always respond to e-mails quickly, if at all) - sometimes you just have to force the issue and opportunities for confession to tend to be more frequent during Holy Week! that said, if you really, truly can’t find an opportunity to confess before the weekend then you should go as soon as possible afterwards. As an aside, if it’s a sin you struggle with then this fact may lessen the seriousness of it.

It is a sin I do in fact struggle with, however I am happy to say the rectory emailed me back. They said there would be confession on Wednesday (Why that was not on the church bulletin I do not know).

God is indeed good :smiley:

Good! (They haven’t been listing our Wednesday Lenten confession in the bulletin every week either - don’t know why.)

I made a promise to Mary that if she helped me go to confession I would pray to her 5 rosaries. I guess I need to do my end of the bargain now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.