I am an Anglican, but I love the Catholic church

I am a new member of this forum and while I have already posted a thread and some comments I felt compelled to let my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ know that I love them and the Church.

I have long had a burning love for the Church, even growing up around protestants. I love the traditions, the liturgy, the passion and the beauty of the Church’s authenticity and dedication to the Gospel and our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I am not becoming a Catholic, but instead have opted for anglicanism. Here is the reason: I want to spread and preach the Word but I also feel a profound calling and passion to marry and have children with a woman I love. This has always been in my heart. I have that opportunity in my currenct denomination.

Anyways, I didn’t mean to get sidetracked. I just wanted to let you know you have my love and support and I will be praying for all of you.

God bless.

I want to clarify that I am aware Catholics can marry. I’m simply called to both preaching and marriage. I’m simply outlining my appreciation for the church.

15 Likes

I’m Catholic and I want to get married to a woman.
I didn’t realize I am not allowed too?
Look Anglicanism is one of the traditional branches of Protestantism I really don’t have a problem with. In fact I own a Book of Common Prayer.
But I’m also not a fan of relativism. If you are Catholic you can and should spread the Gospel whether you are married or a priest.
The issue with Anglicanism is it isn’t just in a state of schism like the Orthodox. It was originally, but that Archbishop Cranmer was a secret Lutheran and manipulated the King into pushing the church into heresy. Just saying if you feel a calling, dont let stuff like that discourage you . I am a convert myself and I was scared at first but once you make the leap it’s fine. Actually Anglicans and Lutherans really wouldn’t have much of an issue converting I don’t think, at least in a liturgical and practice sense. In the Catholic Church there is a rite just for Anglicans who converted to the Church. I believe it is called the Ordinariate.

3 Likes

The Catholic Church and Catholics
need lots of prayers in these challenging times. Thank you for your prayers. (I am a former Episcopalian and Anglican).

4 Likes

My first thought was that either you were a woman yourself, or you are a man interested in a specific woman within the Anglican communion, who’d then complicate a conversion. But perhaps you feel called to both marriage and preaching?
The Eastern Catholics allows married priests, so that may be an option. On the other hand, preaching is not the main purpose of the sacramental Priesthood as we Catholics understand it. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is. So to my ears it sounds like you have a different calling not in opposition with the Catholic faith.
I know I’ve seen a video from The Journey Home of a previous protestant preacher who found his calling as a Catholic teacher. I’ll try and find it if I can.
If you see the truth in Catholic theology, you need not necessarily compromise.
I’m praying for you.

5 Likes

I found it!

As I have advised elsewhere, give a read to Cardinal Newman, G K Chesterton, Bishop Henry Graham and Monsignor Ronald Knox. At great price and loss did they convert. I beieve that all called to mind the Edwardine Ordinance.

2 Likes

Thanks for the prayers, but I can’t say I’m big on your reason for not fully joining the Catholic Church that you claim to love so much.
You only love the Church to the extent it doesn’t get in the way of anything you personally want to do, it seems.

11 Likes

I think what our OP is saying is that he is not becoming Catholic because he feels called to the priesthood and marriage at the same time. If you ever change your mind, the Anglican Ordinariate is always an option after you become an anglican pastor. That way, you might be able to stay married and retain the priesthood upon conversion.

6 Likes

Thank you for Your prayers.
May God bless you according to His divine purpose.

2 Likes

If you are an anglican minister and have a longing for the Catholic church, maybe you could look into the Personal Ordinariate of the chair of St-Peter;

6 Likes

Following OP’s own logic, I’d say he feels called to something he doesn’t think the Catholic Church can provide. But on the other hand there’s nothing His Church and He won’t do for you. He wants nothing more from you. :heart::pray:

2 Likes

Are you under the impression that Catholics are not allowed to marry?

You never know how God might just bring you into the Catholic Church. God’s ways are not our ways.

4 Likes

Also there are a fistful of your fellow Anglicans on this board. Greetings from a rare ACNA Anglo-Catholic!

3 Likes

You could become Catholic and become a Deacon if you are already married.

3 Likes

There are also ways to professionally spread the Gospel outside of the ministerial priesthood.

8 Likes

There are many good men who would become priests, if they were allowed to marry and have a family.

4 Likes

Well, thanks for your love, we appreciate it, brother in Christ. Btw, Catholics can become permanent deacons and be married while doing so.

3 Likes

Many good men with many good intentions. Is it better to have married priests than no priests? Is it better to have female priests than no priests? Okay, so I took it a step further, but I think we mustn’t underestimate the value of the celibate Priesthood.
I can only go by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denmark for comparison. In the 1500’s they recommended marriage for priests, in the 1940’s they allowed female priests.
Today they have exactly the same problem as the Catholic Church, too few priests for too many people. So I think we’re fooling ourselves if we think we need to change the rules regulating the Priesthood. Rather I think we need to (among many other things) talk more about vocations, and focus on catechesis.

3 Likes

We in the East have married priests and we’re doing perfectly fine. Don’t see why you would think it’s such a bad thing that it’s better to have no priest than a married one.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.