"I am an atheist - help me"

I hope this is the right forum to discuss this. If it is not, please move it to the appropriate forum.

If I were an atheist. How would you help me answer this following question? Any Christian …please participate. :slight_smile:

**I can’t hear God and I don’t think God can hear me. How do I know that God hears my prayer? **

Thanks and God bless.

**I can’t hear God and I don’t think God can hear me. How do I know that God hears my prayer? **

Ask Him!

“God… if you’re really there… teach me.”

Don’t expect a huge miracle, and don’t ask for anything specific… just ask God to open your heart… and be truly OPEN to what He says to you.

If He’s really there, He’ll listen.

How do I know when he listens to me?

**You Are Mine **
lyrics by David Haas

I will come to you in the silence,
I will lift you from all your fear.
You will hear my voice,
I claim you as my choice,
Be still and know I am here.

Do not be afraid, I am with you.
I have called you each by name.
Come and follow me
I will bring you home;
I love you and you are mine.

I am hope for all who are hopeless,
I am eyes for all who long to see.
In the shadows of the night,
I will be your light,
Come and rest in me.

Come and follow me
I will bring you home;

I am strength for all the despairing,
Healing for the ones who dwell in shame
All the blind will see,
The lame will run free,
And all will know my name.

Come and follow me
I will bring you home;

**I am the Word that leads all to freedom,
I am the peace the world cannot give.
**I will call your name,
Embracing all your pain,
Stand up, now walk, and live!

Come and follow me
I will bring you home;

[FONT=Book Antiqua]"I will never forget you.
See, upon the palms of my hands I have written your name."
Is 49:15-16
[/FONT]

He listens to you ALWAYS. You’ll know when your life changes.

Faith is opening your heart and mind to God.

I hope I have faith, but I am only trying to know if there is God, how could faith starts? I need some sort of miracles?

If God loves me and wants me to know Him, why can’t He show me a bit of miracle? Sure, you might want to say looking around the universe, but I am taught from school it all started by a Big Ban.

God can be found through reason.

I think I have experienced something like this before my conversion: the feeling of wanting to pray, yet not knowing if all that really has a point and if God really exists.

And then He showed Himself to me in an instant when I tried, again, to pray, I guess when I was “ripe”, so to speak. It wasn’t anything in the senses (no vision or anything) - but the sudden sure knowledge that God exists. He can sometimes work in such subtle and yet spectacular ways… :slight_smile:

So, my answer to such a person would be:

"Be patient and wait! If you really feel a need for God, if you really feel drawn to God, then you will experience Him sooner or later. Only stay (or become) open to Him. How could He speak to you, if you are plugging your ears?

And something important: Don’t expect miracles in the vein of the road to Damascus. God mostly works in more subtle ways. Read 1 Kings 11-13."

How?

Honestly, I’m not sure if God exists or not. I’m certainly familiar with most of the philosophical arguments for God’s existence. Most are outright flawed, while some are simply unconvincing and open to endless debate.

Occassionally, I find myself wishing I could believe, but intellectually, I find the existence of God unlikely.

50 By natural reason man can know God with certainty, on the basis of his works. But there is another order of knowledge, which man cannot possibly arrive at by his own powers: the order of divine Revelation.1 Through an utterly free decision, God has revealed himself and given himself to man. This he does by revealing the mystery, his plan of loving goodness, formed from all eternity in Christ, for the benefit of all men. God has fully revealed this plan by sending us his beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Can You Prove God Exists?

Twelve Ways to Know God

great links, buffalo!

Ok, I’ve read the History and convinced that Jesus was real even the Romans had His name in history. However, in the past we have seen many claims to be Jesus reincarnation, and few people even said that they too perform miracle and ready to die for them. How do I know which one is the real Jesus?

Maybe If I can be convinced who the real Jesus is? my next step to know God would be easier.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

If God COULD make himself heard by you, what would he sound like?

If the answer is “John Huston” (“The Ten Commandments”), the next question is “Why?”

Could it be that God speaks to us first through our consciences, which is given by God to every person, as every person knows intrinsically, and through listening to it we can hear Him?

If God is powerful enough to have placed into EVERY person a conscience to listen to in times of “trouble” for their benefit, mustn’t He also be powerful enough to hear each person as well?

Now, whether what you actually ASK for is really GOOD FOR YOU is God’s decision, so don’t take not getting precisely what you ask for as proof that God doesn’t hear you.

But,… God ALWAYS answers prayers. He just may do so in a way that we have difficulty accepting AS an answer. Yet, your answer is always there.

Mahalo ke Akua…!

E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha. :slight_smile:

Most “proofs” of God are utterly unconvincing to “scientistic” minds, precisely because the premise of “Scientism” is that “somehow” the universe came into being but after it did there has been NO SUPERNATURAL INFLUENCE.

The premise OF believing in God is that “God IS the supernatural influence within the universe”.

Therefore, unless one has a need for God, God cannot be sensed.

The question then, is: “What is your need for God, if you have any feeling of needing God?”

Occassionally, I find myself wishing I could believe, but intellectually, I find the existence of God unlikely.

Why would you WANT to believe, at all?

What “problem” would it solve for you?

That “problem” is God talking, and the only real proof you need to actually believe in the existence of God.

Once you can break that “energy barrier” (think physics) into the “phase shift” that is belief in God, you’ll find a flood of proofs that God exists and is amazingly active in the world…!

Mahalo ke Akua…!

E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha.

The big bang theory basically says that all the matter and enegry of the universe was once compressed into a tiny point, from which it burst forth. I don’t think it is inconsistant with Christianity. The man who proposed it, Father Georges Lemaitre, seemingly didn’t.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

In a more general way, if you’re saying science can explain the universe without the need to appeal to God, I’m no convinced. Can science explain how a bunch of atoms and energy come together and form a person? How particles can create thought and conscience and expecially will? To me, the idea that you can make the human person out of deterministic particles is like saying you can build a house out of a pile of feelings or a bridge out of internet emoticons. To make a person, material isn’t enough. You need something spiritual too.

The real Jesus was crucified by the Romans and Resurrected 3 days later. He is the founder of the one, holy, Catholic and Apostolic church. After His resurrection He appeared to over 500 witnesses. This is the real Jesus.

very interesting, I am currently listening to the Relevant Radio.
Brother Jason Lewis, who was an atheist living a party-life style. One Christmas day, he stayed home and did not go party. He asked if there was Jesus out there, listen to him. … wow - the one that has great impact on his conversion is our Blessed Virgin Mary.

relevantradio.com/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?&pid=687&srcid=275

His miracles (not miracles of a “bang”) are all around you. You must open your eyes and heart to see them.
Shalom~

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.