I am an atheist. Please tell me what book to read to help convince me God exists

Do not say the bible.

Hello Cajhockey,

Reading a book to be convinced that god exists is fruitless unless you truly have an inquiring mind and heart. It also takes faith. Faith means believing in somthing you can’t prove.

May I suggest that you meditate (prayer for people of faith) on how you may be able to recognize God in your life. At the same time I recommend you read 2 books from C. S. Lewis who was also an atheist for a time. Suprised by Joy and Mere Christianity they are both good reads and fairly short.

May God answer all your concerns,
John

Why should I have faith in something? What if someone told you to have faith in evolution.

Actually, I have faith that God created evolution.

Why should I have faith in something? What if someone told you to have faith in evolution.

According to most atheists one does not need faith in evolution, it can be proven.

Did you write your question just to attack someones beliefs?

I agree, you dont need faith in evolution. Basically, I was asking why not have faith that God doesnt exist. If faith is based on believing something without evidence than I can argue that whatever you have faith in is completely arbitrary.

Ill be happy to argue about this in this thread so as long as you include a book recommendation in your argument

“The Church has always taken great care that no one should be compelled against his will to embrace the Catholic Faith, because, as Augustine wisely declares: ***‘except he be willing, man cannot believe’***.”

Because in my mind it takes more faith to believe that God doesn’t exist rather than in His existence. Evolution rests on too many variables, although most of us believe that evolution also proves the existance of God.

Another reason for my faith is that once the Lord’s hand is seen working in one’s life there is no denial of it.

Another reason is because it doesn’t make sense to belive that all the saints and apostles were willing to die for no reason.

And lastly I would rather belive in God and be wrong than not believe and be wrong.

Ah - so all you really want to do is argue eh? Lovely. :rolleyes:

~Liza

If all I cared about was arguing then I wouldnt ask for a book recommendation.

I believe you but we all should admit we have gone off topic. I would like to hear any more book references.

I only converted recently (April 2009) and I do understand where you’re coming from. For a long time I wanted proof or for someone to point me in the direction that would lead to one answer or the other. Unfortunately as others before me have said you have to have an open heart and mind to see the truth. It took me years of delving gently into various aspects of theology and scripture (and then rebelling against it) before I finaly heeded the Holy Spirit’s call and went to Mass. I suggest that you go to your local library, search online or look at an online catholic bookstore if you want to explore certain issues.No one book will do it for you though. But please don’t do this with the sole purpose of battling it. I found greater peace and joy once I stopped fighting and started listening.

I have beem sitting here trying to think of any book that would convince you that God exists. I can’t think of any that would…but I will make a suggestion. Buy…or I will send you…“The Gospel Rosary of Pope John Paul II”. It is an audio recording…a scriptural walk of the rosary through it’s mysteries.

I am a cradle Catholic and I am amazed at how it has deepened my already strong faith. Let me know and I will get it to you…only if you promise to use it with an open mind. Please know I respect you and know I am on the same path you are on…I am no better in God’s eyes.:slight_smile:

I have an open mind. That is why I am constantly searching/debating everyday on this and other forums. And thats why I am trying to find a pro christian book to see if I can see your point of view. I dont know how I could open my mind any wider than it is.

I believe the idea of God is possible, it does not mean I have a close mind because I cant believe in something with very little evidence. You wouldnt call yourself close minded because of the many things you dont believe in.

I agree with the recommendation of Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis.

I would also highly recommend The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom (with John and Elizabeth Sherrill). It’s the story of a Christian family in the Netherlands who helped hide Jews during WWII. Ms. ten Boom doesn’t present all the philosophical arguments to prove God’s existence. She doesn’t argue or debate or quote Scriptures or saints. Her family proves God’s existence and love by their lives and deaths.

As for your question about faith, you demonstrate faith constantly. You have faith that the other drivers on the highway will stay in their own lanes. You have faith that the hamburger that the happy girl at Culver’s hands you isn’t laced with strychnine. I could go on, but you get the idea. Faith isn’t believing something that doesn’t exist. Faith is believing what is logical.

cajhockey (i am an old hockey player!) there is no book that will convince you.

**Look at the universe around you. The smallest flower is more beautiful than anything you or i could ever imagine.

100 billion stars in our galaxy and over 100 billion galaxies, all following specific universal laws.

Our ability to be a part of the birth of new human being, all miracles.

i couldn’t even create one blade of grass, this is no accident or “random occurrence” as the “geniuses” of our times try to convince us.**

**"My religion consists of the humble admiration of the Infinite Superior Spirit who reveals Himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds.

That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe forms my idea of God." (Albert Einstein)**

God is real, God exists, even if we will never comprehend His Infinite Perfection!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I have faith that the other person will stay in her lane because 99.9% of the time, that is always the case.

Heres an online copy of “Catholic for a Reason” by Scott Hahn… The beginning talks about God and the rest talks about the Catholic Church.
books.google.com/books?id=7zao8kBL7CYC&dq=catholic+books+on+God&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=3498Sr2nEMe3twfr64HtAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=14#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Even though you are against reading the bible, I think it would be helpful to read Genesis to get an idea of how we believe God created the world. Also, we believe in the Trinity (Jesus, holy spirit, and God are one), so reading the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John may help you see the miracles that happen to people who have faith. A good example of this is Saul who turns into Paul, you can find this in Acts and in Galatians.

The best book I ever read on the subject was Belief by H.H. Price. It is a collection of lectures which he gave in 1960. I am not sure it is still in print, but you might be able to get a copy through inter-library loan to which many public libraries have access.

Price was a capable British philosopher of the 20th century, and the book is by no means easy to read. However, for the person who wishes to exercise intellectual integrity, and fears belief in God would violate that integrity, Price puts forward an excellent presentation of why it would be rational and honest to believe in God.

Mere Christianity is a no brainer and a must read.

I also read this fantastic book called “The Mind of God” which attempts to answer the question of God’s existence using science, most notably physics( a warning though, it doesn’t really try and dumb down the science. It can be pretty difficult to understand unless you have some prior knowledge of physics). After all, it’s a simple fact that for whatever reason, the vast majority of our great scientists in the world DO believe in God. I believe it was Einstein that said as he got older and learned more and more about the universe, it became more and more apparent to him that the universe had to have been created and could not have been an accident. That is the generally accepted belief in the scientific community these days, despite what atheists will tell you. And while of course you can never “prove” God’s existence through science, if you do your research you will be able to realize that it is very unlikely that God does not exist.

Faith is important of course, but there is more than enough evidence and logic out there to point a non-believer towards God’s existence. I wasn’t raised any religion, but through observation of the world around me and research about the universe, I rationally came to believe the God exists. My Faith came after that. I am glad in many ways that my Faith journey went that way, because I feel I have plenty of reasons to back up my Faith, and do not simply rely on what I have been told to believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.