I am ashamed to go to confession

I am unbelievable ashamed to go to confession. It is a bad habit which i confessed a long time ago and now again i felt to it. I am so ashamed to go to my priest and tell him i did it again.

Go to another parish and confess anonymously from behind the screen.

I though about this but i live in a foreign country and there is a language barrier. It is very hard for me to find some English speaking priest. One time i went to another parish and asked the priest if he speaks English, first he seemed scared and then he was sad that he can’t help me and then i was sad that i put him in this position.
I think in the end i will go to my own priest.

I too live in a foreign country with language barriers. In fact I have been living in different foreign countries with different language barriers for most of my life.

Not knowing a language is no reason to not receive a sacrament. Learn the basics, every priest knows the word “confession” or at least the latin version of the word “confesion”.

Get yourself into a confessional, Use google translate to find your local translation of “bless me father, my last confession was xxxx time ago” and also the list of sins, just type the words into google translate and it will spit out your local words. Make a list of these words, and rattle them out in the confessional. After that say the local term of “I am sorry”.

It may not be very gramatically correct, but any sensible person (and most priests are) will understand what you are trying to say.

I have done this at times when I couldnt find an english speaking priest where I live. Unfortunately I now live on the top of a mountain, and I can barely ever get to a confessional due to transpostation issues.

Good luck! Don’t be afraid to try what I said. It works. It is not ideal, but it’s better than not doing a confession at all.

To respond to your last post, any priest you meet will be scared or not confident to attempt communicating with you.

You must go into a confessional when the priest is already inside for a scheduled confession.
Then follow my advise from my previous post, and you should not have any problems. You must go with preparations of the translated words, otheriwse you’ll just confuse yourself and the priest.

I did not literally mean that. There are always exceptions and priests who are brave enough to try helping. Most that I have met were not very “brave” to accecpt such a situation. You are lucky to have a priest who tries to help.

I really should have said “most” instead of “any”.
[/quote]

I understand how you feel. The following prayer has helped me when I feel similarly. We are all sinners, including the priest and have the need for confession. Don’t let how you think a priest may react keep you away and remember they are under the seal of confession and will never disclose what you confess. Confession is also a great way to help overcome whatever sins we may relapse into.

Trust in God’s Mercy

Gracious Father,
I thank you for the mercy you have shown in forgiving my sins and for the peace that comes from being reconciled with you and with your Church.

O God, you are faithful, and you never abandon those who hope in you. I know that my redemption from sin and death has been purchased at the cost of your Son’s blood. In return for this priceless gift, I resolve today to renew my trust in your unfailing mercy.

In times of doubt, when painful memories of past sins threaten to destroy the peace you have given, let the power of your Holy Spirit cast out all self-condemnation and give me greater confidence in your word of pardon.

Teach me to encourage others so they, too, may seek your tender compassion and come to know your peace, which nothing can take away.

I pray this in the name of Jesus, your Son, in whom you have restored me to life. Amen.

:frowning: I believe I understand how you feel, and I remind myself of what I remember reading somewhere from Pope Francis about going to confession “Just do it, be courageous”

"My child, do you fear the God of mercy? My holiness (80) does not prevent Me from being merciful. Behold, for you I have established a throne of mercy on earth – the tabernacle – and from this throne I desire to enter into your heart. I am not surrounded by a retinue or guards. You can come to me at any moment, at any time; I want to speak to you and desire to grant you grace." (Diary, 1485)

"…when you go to confession, to this fountain of My mercy, the Blood and Water which came forth from My Heart always flows down upon your soul and ennobles it. Every time you go to confession, immerse yourself entirely in My mercy, with great trust, so that I may pour the bounty of My grace upon your soul. When you approach the confessional, know this, that I myself am waiting there for you. I am only hidden by the priest, but I myself act in your soul. Here the misery of the soul meets the God of mercy. Souls draw graces solely with the vessel of trust. If their trust is great, there is no limit to My generosity. The torrents of grace inundate humble souls." (Diary, 1603).

"I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485).

http://s8.postimg.org/422f1cyxh/Christ_9.jpg

I hope this has helped.

God Bless you

Thank you for reading
Josh

Remember, God already knows your sin. You are just saying it out loud. I am praying for you and your situation. God Bless You!

THIS^^^^^^

God already knows. You need to confess it and move on, absolved and with a resolution to quit the behavior. In confession you receive the GRACE to do it.

I think shame is a pretty natural thing to feel when we have sinned – particularly when we commit those same sins over and over again (and, really, I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who does not do this…I know my Confessions are generally pretty repetitive :o).

So there are basically two responses we can have to this shame: the devil’s way and God’s way. The devil wants to use this shame to keep us away from the Sacrament. He wants us to feel shame and embarrassed and to stay in this miserable place away from God’s merciful grace.

But God wants this feeling to serve as a catalyst to go to Confession. To run to Him. Or, more accurately, to let Him run to us as He does in the parable of the Prodigal Son.

Yes, it can be awkward. Yes, it is definitely a blow to the ego. Yes, it is humbling. But we should try to count those as good things. I know it does me good to be taken down a couple of notches. :o

I’ve never heard of a priest berating someone for confessing the same sins over and over again. Indeed, the priests I have heard speak on it take the seal of Confession so seriously that, if you ask them to recall what you confessed last time, they will say that they do not know what you are talking about. They will not bring up old sins again as the sacramental seal is absolute.

So go to Confession and be at peace!

If we should fall into sin let us remember Jesus of Nazareth: The Lamb and the Good Shepherd (and let us think of such even daily…)

"Jesus is called the Lamb: He is the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. Someone might think: but how can a lamb, which is so weak, a weak little lamb, how can it take away so many sins, so much wickedness? With Love. With his meekness. Jesus never ceased being a lamb: meek, good, full of love, close to the little ones, close to the poor. He was there, among the people, healing everyone, teaching, praying. Jesus, so weak, like a lamb. However, he had the strength to take all our sins upon himself, all of them.

“But, Father, you don’t know my life: I have a sin that…, I can’t even carry it with a truck…”.

Many times, when we examine our conscience, we find some there that are truly bad! But he carries them. He came for this: to forgive, to make peace in the world, but first in the heart. Perhaps each one of us feels troubled in his heart, perhaps he experiences darkness in his heart, perhaps he feels a little sad over a fault… He has come to take away all of this, He gives us peace, he forgives everything. “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away sin”: he takes away sin, it’s root and all! This is salvation Jesus brings about by his love and his meekness. And in listening to what John the Baptist says, who bears witness to Jesus as the Saviour, our confidence in Jesus should grow. Many times we trust a doctor: it is good, because the doctor is there to cure us; we trust in a person: brothers and sisters can help us. It is good to have this human trust among ourselves. But we forget about trust in the Lord: this is the key to success in life. Trust in the Lord, let us trust in the Lord! “Lord, look at my life: I’m in the dark, I have this struggle, I have this sin…”; everything we have: “Look at this: I trust in you!”. And this is a risk we must take: to trust in Him, and He never disappoints."

~Pope Francis

vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/homilies/2014/documents/papa-francesco_20140119_omelia-parrocchia-sacro-cuore-gesu_en.html

"Jesus is the “Good Shepherd” who goes in search of lost sheep, who knows his sheep and lays down his life for them (cf. Mt 18:12-14; Lk 15:4-7; Jn 10:2-4, 11-18). He is the way, the right path that leads us to life (cf. Jn 14:6), the light that illuminates the dark valley and overcomes all our fears (cf. Jn 1:9; 8:12; 9:5; 12:46).

He is the generous host who welcomes us and rescues us from our enemies, preparing for us the table of his body and his blood (cf. Mt 26:26-29; Mk 14:22-25); Lk 22:19-20) and the definitive table of the messianic banquet in Heaven (cf. Lk 14:15ff; Rev 3:20; 19:9). He is the Royal Shepherd, king in docility and in forgiveness, enthroned on the glorious wood of the cross (cf. Jn 3:13-15; 12:32; 17:4-5)."

~Pope Benedict XVI

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/audiences/2011/documents/hf_ben-xvi_aud_20111005_en.html

"I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day. No one should think that this invitation is not meant for him or her, since “no one is excluded from the joy brought by the Lord”.[1] The Lord does not disappoint those who take this risk; whenever we take a step towards Jesus, we come to realize that he is already there, waiting for us with open arms. Now is the time to say to Jesus: “Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you. I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”. How good it feels to come back to him whenever we are lost!

Let me say this once more: God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking his mercy. Christ, who told us to forgive one another “seventy times seven” (Mt 18:22) has given us his example: he has forgiven us seventy times seven. Time and time again he bears us on his shoulders. No one can strip us of the dignity bestowed upon us by this boundless and unfailing love. With a tenderness which never disappoints, but is always capable of restoring our joy, he makes it possible for us to lift up our heads and to start anew. Let us not flee from the resurrection of Jesus, let us never give up, come what will. May nothing inspire more than his life, which impels us onwards!"

~ Pope Francis

EVANGELII GAUDIUM

I’m ashamed to. I go anyways. :smiley:

If you’re that ashamed, go to another priest. But honestly, practicing humility is one of the best things we can do spiritually. Usually the practice (or often) involves some amount of pain or discomfort.

This is called contrition…go anyway, receive forgiveness and move forward.

Me too! But I do it anyway because I need absolution. You can go to another parish if you want to, you don’t have to go only in your own parish.

Offer this humiliation to Our Lord. This will console Him when you are confessing your sins to Him in Confession.

Jesus to Sr. Benigna Consolata (d. 1916):
“A soul faithful in self-humiliation, who denies Me no act of humility, neither interior nor exterior, is the soul that ravishes My Heart.”

Pax Domini!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.