I am being tempted

It seems that lately I am being tempted like no other. I have been trying to remain as humble as possible and avoid going out and hanging around certain people and "the scene" so I don't get caught up in the fantasy world that is the fashion industry. I've even left L.A. for a while and that seemed to help but my work is there so I had to go back.

I haven't given in yet (and don't plan to!) but its proving very difficult now for some reason, to remain so grounded and unaffected when everything is basically thrown at my feet. The money for doing some of these runway shows is ridiculous but then we are expected to attend the after-parties which is where the trouble begins. This is the only job I've ever had and after all these years I don't understand why now I am not finding it as easy to resist. I try to keep people I associate with on a professional level so I am not tempted to go out and party, which has worked so far.
Its like now that I am more into my faith the devil is trying everything in his power to get me to sin whether it be greed or pride or compromising my morals. I suppose I just need prayers to keep me strong because its very difficult to find others who are religious in the fashion industry.
I hope this is the correct area to post. It seemed proper enough...:o

Seeing as how I'm in the same situation as you (albeit in an entirely different industry and subculture :o), I can relate.

Personally the first thing I do is really separate the needs and really try to discern them from the mere wants. What are the things in your job that you really need? This doesn't have to limit to financial stuff mind you, even stuff like a feeling of fulfillment and purpose can qualify. You just have to make sure it's really a fulfillment and not some mere flight of fancy that tries to pass as one.

Secondly, think of the most important Catholic principles you hold on to and hold them up as something that differentiates you from them, that makes you unique compared to them. They say a non-conformist attitude is what causes people to "rebel" against religion and makes them feel like an "individual" but it's surprising how the same can apply to a conservative in a liberal-indoctrinated environment. ;):cool:

Finally, limit, if not, resist any temptation to preach. Do not share your views if you can help it because most likely they will just be rejected (with you along with them). Simply try to, as you say, be professional. Focus on your work with your lips sealed. That's what I do with my classmates, friends, even my professors and writing mentors when they tell me to "open my mind" and see things from a different "non-Western perspective". :rolleyes:

Believe me, like you I have not been perfect but at the very least, knowing who I am and what makes me different has kept me sticking to my principles.

[quote="runwaymodel, post:1, topic:229463"]
It seems that lately I am being tempted like no other. I have been trying to remain as humble as possible and avoid going out and hanging around certain people and "the scene" so I don't get caught up in the fantasy world that is the fashion industry. I've even left L.A. for a while and that seemed to help but my work is there so I had to go back.

I haven't given in yet (and don't plan to!) but its proving very difficult now for some reason, to remain so grounded and unaffected when everything is basically thrown at my feet. The money for doing some of these runway shows is ridiculous but then we are expected to attend the after-parties which is where the trouble begins. This is the only job I've ever had and after all these years I don't understand why now I am not finding it as easy to resist. I try to keep people I associate with on a professional level so I am not tempted to go out and party, which has worked so far.
Its like now that I am more into my faith the devil is trying everything in his power to get me to sin whether it be greed or pride or compromising my morals. I suppose I just need prayers to keep me strong because its very difficult to find others who are religious in the fashion industry.

[/quote]

This happens, remember it's not your fault that you are being tempted. Have you ever been watching a TV program you really enjoy and suddenly you get interrupted by the emergency broadcast system with a super annoying tone and voice saying this is a "test of the emergency broadcast system". You really want that to go away and get back to your program, but you can't do anything to change the broadcast.

Well think about temptation as having that huge warning going off in your head. You can deal with it in a couple of ways:

[LIST]
*]Listen to the warning going off in your head from God and your Guardian Angel
*]Recognize the devil is at work and trying to weaken you
[/LIST]
Either way, you are noting the temptation, therefore we need strength. Ideally we want to remove the temptation, start praying and if we can't remove it, then resist.

It's obviously easier to remove it (e.g don't go to the party) and pray, but maybe not always possible.

You are also a Evangelist in this situation and have the opportunity to spead the Word of God to others who need it by your example. Perhaps you can (with the help of the Holy Spirit) show others why it's important to be who you are, a dedicated Christian person.

Some good ways of doing this in an environment where you may not have believers present are:

[LIST]
*]Find out about their backgrounds and how they came to be here
*]What challenges they have in their lives
*]How they stay in contact with loved ones when away from family
*]Do you have siblings
[/LIST]

All of these will get you on some level playing field to relate to someone. I deal with a lot of prisoners in my ministry and they are in a very demanding environment, all with "stuff" they are trying to manage. Being a strong Christian for them will do more to broadcast and strengthen the faith more than reciting Bible verses.

Do protect yourself first from temptation, but if you can "go into their midst" this may be your calling to evangelize. Just draw your strength from the Holy Spirit.

Here is a poem I wrote for a prison retreat I am going on tomorrow which will be relevant for the "sinners' that surround you. Remember we are all Prodigal Son's and Daughter's at some time in our lives.

God Bless and I will pray for you.

*The Prodigal Son *

A gift of the marriage,
A son born so soon,
The boy with a brother,
Two beautiful blooms.

But just like some plants,
They grew up the same,
Yet strangely apart,
The devil’s new game.

I’ll take what I can,
From this short little life.
Some women, and wine,
And see what it’s like.

So using the money,
From Father’s hard toil,
I used others bodies,
And minds I did spoil.

God let me loose,
On everything worldly,
Life was a game,
No recourse to surly.

Until one day,
The devil was done.
He had taken my mind,
My pride, and his Son.

A lonely new place,
So dark and so cold,
Satan 10 points,
And I had to fold.

With no friends and help,
I cried out so loud,
Dear Lord direct me,
I need you somehow.

Return to your Father,
He waits by the Door,
The welcome return,
Alone be no more.

The father ran thrashing,
The fields with his feet,
The return of the his beloved,
Son from the Street.

The wrap of those arms,
So loving and warm,
Secured the lost son,
A boy now transformed.

[/quote]

Sounds about right! :rolleyes: Stay strong! I will pray!! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Dear sister in Jesus.
I saw this testimony on youtube yesterday along with others, and I thought about you.
Here is a Christian woman in the same situation. It will just take you five minutes to see it and I know all things in there dont fit you, but some of these things are definately something you will recognize from your own life.

youtube.com/watch?v=gckOHJTme6U&feature=related

Peace to you.

It seems that lately I am being tempted like no other.

[/quote]

With the above sentence,you have hit the nail right on the head!
The closer we get to God, the harder the tempter tries to spoil things for us. Saint Anthony of Egypt 's solitary life was marked by many temptations by the devil and demons; for instance, at one time Satan himself is said to have appeared in visible form as a seductive woman. He did not give in to this temptations. His biographer attributes these victories to his constant faith and the use of the sign of the Cross and the Holy Name of Jesus!
Be strong in your faith. Call on the Holy Name of Jesus often. Satan now sees you as a real danger to him so he has doubled his efforts. I think there is comfort in there somewhere :)

Saint Michael the Archangel ,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

[/quote]

You know what the fighter pilots in WWII used to say... "If you're not catching flak, you're not close enough to the target.":D

Hang in there. I will pray for you. Remember you have the Holy Spirit to count on. You are becoming the example that may draw others to you, the ones who may not have had the courage to say "no" yet.

[/quote]

it may be time to consider another line of work.

Oh Bless you all! Your responses have been very comforting and helpful.

Wow! That video was just what I needed. Its almost exactly like my situation. Thank you so much, my dear. :hug3:

I will pray that you are able to avoid temptation. I was listening to catholic radio and they were interviewing a woman who was in the modeling industry and eventually left because it was too much for her. In it they mentioned some modeling company that does only modest photo shoots. My guess is that those would not have parties that are tempting that are a requirement. It might be the same woman in the video but I'm not sure. Anyways, I have seen you posts before and it made me think of you. I wish I remembered what the company was called. I do remember that it was not based in LA. Good luck and even though LA may seem like the culture of death. I lived there for 2 years and found great young adult groups that really helped me to stay strong in my faith.

[quote="Onedayatatime, post:3, topic:229463"]
Well think about temptation as having that huge warning going off in your head. You can deal with it in a couple of ways:

[LIST]
*]Listen to the warning going off in your head from God and your Guardian Angel
*]Recognize the devil is at work and trying to weaken you
[/LIST]
Either way, you are noting the temptation, therefore we need strength. Ideally we want to remove the temptation, start praying and if we can't remove it, then resist.

It's obviously easier to remove it (e.g don't go to the party) and pray, but maybe not always possible.

[/quote]

Yes, if it wasn't for my family and our constant contact (I am very very close to them), I dont think I would have been able to be in the industry for all these years. Thank you for the beautiful poem.

Thank you for that wonderful example of Saint Anthony. :)

Brilliant quote! Thank you. I will continue to stay on the narrow path.

This is literally the only job I've ever had. I started very young as a teen. Believe me, I have considered it at times but I don't want to give up because temptation became too much. I'd rather struggle and fight through it.

[quote="runwaymodel, post:12, topic:229463"]
This is literally the only job I've ever had. I started very young as a teen. Believe me, I have considered it at times but I don't want to give up because temptation became too much. I'd rather struggle and fight through it.

[/quote]

But you should remember that modeling is never a lifetime job, even for the most famous or beautiful. If you think that you might want to do something else in your life, whether it be marriage or another career, you really should take some time to seriously consider it before it becomes too late.

[quote="1ke, post:9, topic:229463"]
it may be time to consider another line of work.

[/quote]

So just because one is in an work environment that challenges their morals, they should just quit? That sounds rather cowardly if you ask me and only directs people to seek unhappy jobs. Mind you, the latter is one reason work causes people to commit suicide.

Runway - I am not sure what kind of modeling you do, but the christian radio station I listen too has been airing alot of commericals, casting calls for Christian Models. They are called Actors, Models and Talent for Christ. AMTC.org/com...I can't remember if it is .org or .com...sorry.

I don't think it would hurt to look up the website and see what they are about. If nothing else, it might help you meet other Christian Models who are not into the party/sex/drugs scene.

Remember that the Evil One wants you to fall. He wants you to be tempted. But also remember that Jesus loves you so much that he gave his very life for you out of love. Try not to be impulsive. Try and stop and think before acting. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Just remember change is tough - even when it is good change. Remember back in the day whenever anyone would put you on a new diet or exercise regime to tone a certain area or get you into a new style of dress - well this is one of those for the soul. There is going to be some akwardness involved until you get used to it - and started people at your new gym (in this case Church) that are involved in the same things you are (who knows maybe there are some closet Catholics) and you have someone to laugh with and make it easier. Will pray for you and be here to laugh with you until then.

[quote="Maureen1125, post:15, topic:229463"]
Runway - I am not sure what kind of modeling you do, but the christian radio station I listen too has been airing alot of commericals, casting calls for Christian Models. They are called Actors, Models and Talent for Christ. AMTC.org/com...I can't remember if it is .org or .com...sorry.

I don't think it would hurt to look up the website and see what they are about. If nothing else, it might help you meet other Christian Models who are not into the party/sex/drugs scene.

Remember that the Evil One wants you to fall. He wants you to be tempted. But also remember that Jesus loves you so much that he gave his very life for you out of love. Try not to be impulsive. Try and stop and think before acting. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

[/quote]

I appreciate that Maureen. It is something I will look into. Yes, it is very difficult (especially living in L.A.) to find others like-minded. For the record, I have not ever done drugs in my life and never saw the appeal, so thankfully that is one category that I won't ever fall into. :thumbsup:

Peace, Runway.

Here's something you may want to meditate on: 1 John 2:15-17

You are in my prayers. :)

[/quote]

Satan and the world want you back desperatly, they want you to burn as they already are destined to. They're a bit like the Joker from The Dark Knight really, they really just want you to burn for no specific reason in particular.

Your best defence IMHO is to run to the Rosary and the Blessed sacrament. In particular when your feeling tempted pray the sorrowful mysteries, for me these were particularly powerful. They "asked me" a poinient question, did Jesus really endure all this just so I can live the "big life"? Is that what the incarnation was all about?

Or am I acting like a bratty teenaged kid who just wants wants wants and is going to yell yell yell, stomp, kick and scream until I get it. No, Christ didn't die on the Cross so I (and anyone else) can be free to live fast and sinful.

God bless, keep up the good fight! :knight2:

P.S. Passion of the Christ on bluray is a particularly powerful "sin repelant" as well.

[quote="crazzeto, post:19, topic:229463"]
Satan and the world want you back desperatly, they want you to burn as they already are destined to. They're a bit like the Joker from The Dark Knight really, they really just want you to burn for no specific reason in particular.

P.S. Passion of the Christ on bluray is a particularly powerful "sin repelant" as well.

[/quote]

Amen! This has verry much been helpful. I've always had a prettty good grip on everything but lately for some reason, I feel overwhelmed at times.

And yes! I agree with you about Passion of the Christ. That movie truly breaks my heart. I have never cried so much. :bighanky: Simply amazing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.