"I am both Muslim and Christian"

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.

On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.
She does both, she says, because she’s Christian and Muslim.

(Excerpt) Read more at seattletimes.nwsource.com

:eek: :eek: don’t think it possible

So on Fridays she beleives Jesus was nothng more than a wise and holy man and on Sunday she believes he was the Son of God. No problem there , right? Her Bishop thinks its just fine-he’s “excited” about it. She got involved with Islam after a Muslim gave a talk at the local Episcopla Cathedral.

I guess the upside to all this is the Catholic Church is sure to find more Episcopaleans coming home as their Church continue its downward slide.

Can you say ‘Multiple Personality Disorder’??

This is bizarre.

M

It is certainly bizarre to our twentieth century view of Christianity. I just finished a book by Elaine Pagels, Beyond Belief, which documents the large degree of diversity in Christianity within the first few centuries after Christ’s death. She wouldn’t have been looked on as so odd say about eighteen hundred years ago, prior to the establishment of “orthodoxy”. Looks like she was born too late…

[quote=article]Redding’s situation is highly unusual. Officials at the national Episcopal Church headquarters said they are not aware of any other instance in which a priest has also been a believer in another faith.
[/quote]

This isn’t any big deal, but a year ago an Anglican priest made a splash when he converted to Hinduism, and still claimed status as a priest in the Church of England.
christiantoday.com/article/priest.converts.to.hinduism.still.claims.to.be.priest/7634.htm

As for the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding, some of the squishier denominations of Christianity are flexible enough that a person could claim to be both Christian and Muslim - basically Muslim but with a Christian flare.

She believes Jesus is the son of God insofar as all humans are the children of God, and that Jesus is divine, just as all humans are divine — because God dwells in all humans.

What makes Jesus unique, she believes, is that out of all humans, he most embodied being filled with God and identifying completely with God’s will.

It sounds like she is viewing Jesus as Catholics view Mary.

She does believe that Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected, and acknowledges those beliefs conflict with the teachings of the Quran. “That’s something I’ll find a challenge the rest of my life,” she said.

Yes, she will have to give up that belief if she wants to be fully accepted as a Muslim.

As for being an Episcopal priest… is the Episcopalian view of Christ so broad as to include Rev. Redding’s position? :confused:

Oh my-not Elaine Pagels! She of Gnosatic Gsopels and the descredited "Gospel of Thomas. She who makes a very poor case that the the Chruch did not exist until the council of Nicea? The same Elaine Pagels who the very few scripture verses about Mary Magdeline and built her into a first century feminist icon!

However I doubt if even Elaine Pagels could reconcile a person claiming to know Jesus as merely a man on Fridays and worship him as the Son of God on Sundays. But them given Elaine Pagels’s other books perhaps she can

All the truths about Christ had yet to be understood thus early heresies and the Church councils to correct them. She has the benefit of knowing (or should know) the truth of Jesus Christ and is rejecting it. If you read the article she has some views of Christ which are untrue and incompatible with Christianity. Eighteen hundred years ago someone who fell in to such ideas was ignorant until the Church defined the doctrine…she has no excuse.

M

Oh please! Read Revelations 3:16 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

Be a good Muslim or a good Episcopalian but quit trying to pretend you are both.

I am not defending this lady, only pointing out that her bizarre combination of beliefs would have appeared less bizarre in a different time period. Given the modern understanding of Chrisitianity, she can’t be both Christian and Muslim. Seems to me as though she is a Muslim and just needs to come to grips with that fact.

Estesbob: I can see that you like Elaine Pagels’ writings quite a bit! lol! Her version of history is both interesting and contrary to my Catholic perspective. Bart Ehrman’s Lost Christianties/Lost Scriptures falls in the same vein. Both of these authors are a good read though.

I just ran into this article on World Net Daily (link below). While I understand that people convert from one religion to another, even the clergy, you usually give up or lose your position if you leave that religion. However, in this bizarre case, this ‘veteran Episcopal priest’ says she is now a Muslim and a Christian simultaneously. You would think that any church, Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, or even Mormon, would either fire the pastor or ask for a resignation upon converting to another faith, but according to the article, " Redding’s [the converted priest’s] embrace of Islam has been affirmed by her bishop, Rt. Rev. Vincent Warner, who thinks the interfaith possibilities are exciting."
Any comments? I can’t ever remember hearing about this happening in any Christian denomination. It seems the American branch of the Anglican Communion has lost its collective mind, if even a bishop of the church has no problem with one of his priests converting to another religion and keeping the priesthood.

wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56244

The Episcopalians are allowing this? Unbelievable. One cannot be Christain and Muslim. Episcopalians should raise a loud stink about her being allowed to continue as a Christiand priest while she is also a member of Islam… a religion that has vowed to destroy Christianity. I just dont’ get how ignorant of reality her superiors must be… :shrug: :eek:

The conclusion in your last sentence is correct.

GKC

posterus traditus Anglicanus

Episcopal Church USA is hardly Christian, in fact not Christian. They are worse than schismatics (ie. our seperated brothers) and correctly called heretics (ie deviants) for they deny Trinitarian Creed (ie Nicene Creed) outright. The best word to describe them is hypocrite.

A hypocrite is a person who claims to profess being Christian yet his/her actionscontradicts the Christian Statement of Faith, the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed.

When I became Catholic, I completely abandoned Islam, which Saint John of Damascus called Islam a heresy. I also believe the only way to world peace is evangelism of Arabs and Muslims. Only when all Arabs have been de-Arabised, Arabic language will cease to be a spoken language and Islam will cease to exist.

Arab Christians should abandon Arabic in favour of Latin, French, Russian, Chinese, or a better language. We surely don’t want the language of the Quran to be spoken moreover as Arab Christians (and even Arab Muslims) are not really ethnically or racially Arab but Copts, Assyrians, Kurds and Berbers!

Re think what you just posted BelFarfalla. This says it all.

HER superiours.

:shrug: :eek:

If one cannot be Christian and Muslim, then one cannot be Christian and Arab! This is especially true as Egyptians are Copts who have been Arabised, just as Palestinians, Jordanians, Lebanese, Syrians and Iraqis are Assyrians who have been Arabised.

However, if we were to take Jewishness and Muslimness are races, then yes, we have Jewish Christians (ie those people who are racially/ethnically Jewish) and Muslim Christians (ie those people who are racially/ethnically Muslims/Arabs).

A Muslim Christian has to believe Jesus Christ is Lord and God and virgin Mary is theotokos (Mother of God). A Muslim Christian has to confess the Nicene Creed and believe in all ecumenical councills, from the Nicea right up to Vatican II. All Muslim Christians have to reject Sharia and declare Muhammad to be a false prophet.

The CCC says Muslims and Christians worship the same God, which can be interpreted as being truly Muslim means believing God is Trinity. So, vast majority of Islamists such as Hamas, Hezbollah, Shias, Sunnis, Ahmadis, Druse and Bahais are not really Muslims as they follow Muhammad’s concept of God.

The Arabic word “Muslim” just means SUBMITTER and so any Christian who submits to the Holy Trinity is a Muslim.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:confused:

Back this up please. You have, gone into a theological realm that I see no basis for.

Can you elaborate on my bolded portions?

"any Christian who submits to the HOLY TRINTY is A muslim???

I humbly ask you to reconsider such a rash reamark.

Are you willing to tell the Jw’s this? The Mormons this?
And all the others who gleefully deny the Holy Trinity?

Back this up please, or be silent.:mad:

Wow, I’m almost embarrassed to say that I was part of this Church…if even the Bishop approves of this…things really have changed since I’ve been there. Just from skimming the article, I really do wonder how she even became a priest considering she says she struggled with basic Christian doctrines (it doesn’t say whether that was before or after her ordination, so I won’t assume anything).

In defense of individual members of ECUSA though, the ones who I know would not support something like this, and I certainly can’t think of any clergy I know personally who would think this even makes sense…Bishop Warner’s support of this decision is absolutely ridiculous and an embarrassment to the Episcopal Church.

I’ll see what the general opinion is tomorrow when I meet up with some of my Episcopal/Anglican friends…I’m certain it’ll be pretty much the same reaction here…

If one can be a Christian and a Muslim. Can one be a Moslim and Christian?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.