I am continuously tempted to leave the Catholic Church

Hi everyone. I could use some serious prayers. I am continuously tempted to leave the Catholic Church. It’s a part of my disorder (borderline personality disorder). Please keep me in your prayers.

Hello again everyone. I created a new thread in the spirituality forum concerning this. Please visit and provide any input that you can:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=5348327

We know that you have this recurring struggle, Holly. It can’t be much fun. I ask Jesus to stay with you in all your ups and downs. Please take care of yourself.

Holly,

I have two things to offer that might help. The fact you are able to articulate the statement and add the information you suffer bpd is reason to believe that you know it isn’t you wanting to leave; it is the distortion the disease causes - which you know deep down is not to be trusted (the disease). I suffer with chronic depression that brings temptation of dispair. As odd as it sounds the movie “Beautiful Mind” helped me get on more solid ground dealing with it. The main character suffers from schzophrenia and hallucinates three characters that tell him to do things - to him they are very real and he believes them for years until intellectually he notices that he is aging but the characters do not. Once he understood that the characters were not real - even though they remained in the background tempting him away from reality - he would not give in to talking to or believing them again. For me when I am tempted to believe the depression (worthlessness, greyness, darkness, etc) I remind myself I do have a beautiful mind and that these inclinations are not reality. I challenge the depression as false and I fight it by doing what I know is right and good - objectively whether I feel like it or not. It keeps me happier and it keeps me safe. Prayer is my anchor that keeps me from floating into the deep dark waters. Prayer keeps me in reality - and the ultimate Reality is God.

I can relate to this in some ways, being a recent convert and struggling w/ depression et al…

The hard part for me is that after about a decade of struggling w/ the decision to convert, it’s been tough not second guessing myself. I love the priest’s homilies and the liturgy…but the aloofness and coldness of the environment in this area AND the church itself is so painful for me. My husband and children are not happy w/ my decision AND I have little if any fellowship w/in the church, since people stay SO to themselves. The churches I have in my past were doctrinally off in ways, but the fellowship/dinners/get-togethers/worship times, etc. are sorely missed. That’s what tempts me to run around to various churches to fill different needs. :blush: Not practical!

I would love to move to a warmer climate, both weather-wise and culturally…another idea not practical at this point. I have reflected on this and realized it’s me that does almost all the reaching out to people, and the Catholics especially in general have little desire for fellowship or reaching out…oh, how I wish this would change! Why is it so?:confused:

Praying.

Holly, I have not posted here in a little while due to illness but the whole time, I want you to know, that I thought about you and prayed for you. I am so glad to see that you are still here. I will continue to pray for you. Please be strong and know that there are a lot of people here who care about you and are praying for you.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.
:signofcross:

I am continuously praying for you Holly… Don’t give up!

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thanks everyone so much for your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Let it be doe according to your will and not ours O Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.