i am homosexual, yet i am Catholic

I am an 18 year old male who is homosexual, yet i am Catholic, i love my religion yet I feel that it is against me, dose this mean I am not a Catholic? I attend church every Sunday and I do my best to attend evensongs on weekdays when I can, I was taught in a Catholic School and now I attend a Catholic college. I give blood and do a lot of charity work, and yet im writing this email as if I need to prove something to you, the Catholic people and myself. I did NOT choose to be Homosexual. Should I abandon my Catholic beliefs as I will never be accepted within the church? I live in a Catholic household and have a lot of Catholic friends, if they can accept me then why can’t my church? I have read the Bible and I do not personally believe is condones homosexual behaviour. I understand that it is not accepted within society, but surly the church is seen as a shelter from society’s brutality against its people, and is ment to unite people not segregate them. The question I put to you is am I Catholic, if I am not should I forsake my religion?

[quote=Equinox]I am an 18 year old male who is homosexual, yet i am Catholic, i love my religion yet I feel that it is against me, dose this mean I am not a Catholic? I attend church every Sunday and I do my best to attend evensongs on weekdays when I can, I was taught in a Catholic School and now I attend a Catholic college. I give blood and do a lot of charity work, and yet im writing this email as if I need to prove something to you, the Catholic people and myself. I did NOT choose to be Homosexual. Should I abandon my Catholic beliefs as I will never be accepted within the church? I live in a Catholic household and have a lot of Catholic friends, if they can accept me then why can’t my church? I have read the Bible and I do not personally believe is condones homosexual behaviour. I understand that it is not accepted within society, but surly the church is seen as a shelter from society’s brutality against its people, and is ment to unite people not segregate them. The question I put to you is am I Catholic, if I am not should I forsake my religion?
[/quote]

The bible and the Church distiguishes between homosexual attraction and acting on that attraction. I am not sure what you are asking in this post.

[quote=Equinox]I did NOT choose to be Homosexual.
[/quote]

I understand that you may be in a great deal of pain, but I think it would help if you saw it from the Church’s point of view. For example, do you think pedophiles chose to be attracted to young children? Would you expect the Church to accept pedophilia or encourage them to change their ways to live a better lifestyle? Should the Church never speak out against it?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

The Catholic Church calls all those who are not married to live continent lives. If I were not married I would live my life without sex and in service to God and my neighbor in whatever vocation God called me to. The fact is, I didn’t have sex with anyone except my husband whom I married at age 35. It can be done and all those who truly love Christ and his Church can find all the help they want to live as God has asked us to live no matter what our inclinations or station in life. I will pray for you, plesae pray for me.

Just because you are a homosexual is no reason to leave your Catholic Faith. Many faithful Catholics are also homosexuals, and of course God loves you as much as He loves anyone else.

You cannot however engage in sex outside the bounds of marriage - that is a mortal sin and clearly condemed in the Bible. If you do so you put your soul in grave danger so I pray that you remain true to yourself - a person of Faith and conduct yourself accordingly. There are many organizations that can help you overcome your temptations so that you can live a chaste life.

Bless you,
CM

So I am allowed to think homosexual but not act on the human feelings, thoughts, and emotions that go with them i.e. having a partner. Like any heterosexual male is. The question is simple am I allowed to be Catholic and Homosexual?

I think whether you are Catholic is up to you. The Catholic Church does not condemn homosexuals, but it does condemn the act of homosexuality, just as it also condems premarital relations for heterosexuals. Both married and single are called to live chastely according to our state in life.

If you are single – hetero- or homosexual – you are called to be celibate. If you are married, you are called to give yourself totally, freely and unselfishly to your spouse.

If you abide by the Church’s teachings, I think you can consider yourself Catholic. You don’t have to love the teachings, just follow them. In time, through the grace of God, you may come to love them. May God bless your discernment. I’m sure this is difficult for you.

[quote=Equinox]So I am allowed to think homosexual but not act on the human feelings, thoughts, and emotions that go with them i.e. having a partner. Like any heterosexual male is. The question is simple am I allowed to be Catholic and Homosexual?
[/quote]

Many heterosexual males live lives of celibacy without a wife and children. If you cannot live a celibate life but must engage in homosexual acts you are saying, in effect, that homosexuality gives you a license to sin that it does not give to heterosexuals and that simply isn’t true.

Ok so in the bond of marriage I may partake in such activities such as sexual intercourse? If that is the case than why dose the Catholic oppose the legalisations of gay marriages, and have ‘dismissed’ directly or indirectly priests who have ‘came out’ as homosexuals?

[quote=Equinox]So I am allowed to think homosexual but not act on the human feelings, thoughts, and emotions that go with them i.e. having a partner. Like any heterosexual male is. The question is simple am I allowed to be Catholic and Homosexual?
[/quote]

One is absolutely “allowed” to be a Catholic and a “homosexual”, as understood as one who is afflicted with a predominately same sex attraction, but like a “heterosexual” predominant attraction individual is striving to live a chaste existance.

Unfortunately, we do not always get to pick the crosses that we are called to carry for our sanctification and growth in holiness.

One will not fare very long without a supportive and loving circle of Catholic friends to carry such a cross as you depict for yourself.

[/quote]

You can be Catholic and homosexual but you can’t act on homosexual behavior, you must remain celebit.

[quote=Equinox]Ok so in the bond of marriage I may partake in such activities such as sexual intercourse? If that is the case than why dose the Catholic oppose the legalisations of gay marriages, and have ‘dismissed’ directly or indirectly priests who have ‘came out’ as homosexuals?
[/quote]

The Catholic Church recognizes and upholds the purpose and moral use of human sexuality is only licit in the marital bond of heterosexual love.

BTW – I know on no priests who have been dismissed for “coming out” as “homosexuals”.

[quote=Equinox]Ok so in the bond of marriage I may partake in such activities such as sexual intercourse? If that is the case than why dose the Catholic oppose the legalisations of gay marriages, and have ‘dismissed’ directly or indirectly priests who have ‘came out’ as homosexuals?
[/quote]

Marriage is a bond between one man and one woman, the Catholic Church is never going to O.K. one man and one man marriage, so if you absolutely can’t accept that, then maybe the Catholic church is not for you.

[quote=Della]Many heterosexual males live lives of celibacy without a wife and children. If you cannot live a celibate life but must engage in homosexual acts you are saying, in effect, that homosexuality gives you a license to sin that it does not give to heterosexuals and that simply isn’t true.
[/quote]

So I have to live in celibacy, or I will be committing a mortal sin against God? This is what I cannot understand God loves all his Children and will forgive most/ all sin’s and yet in ‘his eyes’ two homosexuals that are married cannot partake in the act which expresses love for/ to the other individual, without fear of Infernal damnation.

If you are seriously interested in the Catholic viewpoint and a support system for having a same-sex attraction and living a Catholic life I suggest going to the Courage website. It is the only organization within the Catholic faith that is approved by the Vatican for dealing with people with a same-sex attraction.

Their website is couragerc.net

[/quote]

Because marriage is the joining of one man and one woman, plain and simple. And homosexual relations cannot produce children, so they are not marriages. And while there are married couples who cannot have children they still meet the first requirement of being of the opposite sex who are physically able to consummate their relationship, as God intended a husband and wife to be and to do.

Any dismissal of homosexual priests has been done only if they defy Church teaching not because they are homosexual.

[quote=Equinox]So I have to live in celibacy, or I will be committing a mortal sin against God? This is what I cannot understand God loves all his Children and will forgive most/ all sin’s and yet in ‘his eyes’ two homosexuals that are married cannot partake in the act which expresses love for/ to the other individual, without fear of Infernal damnation./QUOTE

God created Adam and Eve

God never ever said this life would be easy, and obviously your life if you are to follow what God wants, will not be easy, but Jesus did not have it easy either did he? Look what Jesus went through for us, so I would think that not having gay sex would be a walk in the park in comparison to what Jesus had to go through for us.

Is the pleasure you may have in this life worth eternal hell in the next?
[/quote]

[quote=kamz]Marriage is a bond between one man and one woman, the Catholic Church is never going to O.K. one man and one man marriage, so if you absolutely can’t accept that, then maybe the Catholic church is not for you.
[/quote]

So you are stating that I should give up 18 years of upbringing, beliefs and values because I am homosexual, then you are basically saying that I am not excepted within the church. I have been told and I believe that the church accepts / loves everyone…

[quote=Equinox]So you are stating that I should give up 18 years of upbringing, beliefs and values because I am homosexual, then you are basically saying that I am not excepted within the church. I have been told and I believe that the church accepts / loves everyone…
[/quote]

Equinox, I notice that you have avoided my questions.

Do pedophiles *choose *to be attracted to young children?

Should the Church, then, support and encourage pedophilia?

[quote=Equinox]So I have to live in celibacy, or I will be committing a mortal sin against God? This is what I cannot understand God loves all his Children and will forgive most/ all sin’s and yet in ‘his eyes’ two homosexuals that are married cannot partake in the act which expresses love for/ to the other individual, without fear of Infernal damnation.
[/quote]

God does love all his children, that is why he gave everyone the right to choose to live by his commandments or to reject those commandments.

Two men are allowed to love each other in the same way as a person can love their brother, but the use of the sexual gift is reserved solely for use between a married couple.

Since by natural law marriage is reserved to be between a man and a woman, then only a validly married couple can have sexual relations.

God can forgive the sin of acting on homosexuality but you must be willing to ask for that forgiveness and repent. Deciding to live that life and then years down the road, repent is putting your soul at risk.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.