I am in shock!

The Bible foretells of 1830!! Go to www.whyprophets.com and go to Bible Prophecy then to 1830 AD. I am amazed and in shock. It is true! The Bible tells about the restoration of the Church in the Latter Days!

I assume you’re joking.

Whodathunkit?

Dan L

Seriously. Go to that website and go to Bible Prophecy and 1830 A.D. Foretold. I wish somebody could refute this.

am amazed and in shock. It is true! The Bible tells about the restoration of the Church in the Latter Days!

The only thing shocking is that you think it is true. Nothing on the web site substantiates this claim.

The most often repeated prophetic number in all scripture is 1260 “days” (equivalent to 42 Jewish months, or three and one-half Jewish years or “times.”) It is mentioned directly in Daniel 7 and 12 and Revelation 11 and 12 and 13. It is referred to indirectly in Daniel 8 and 11, Matthew 24, and many other places. The context is always the same — the defeat of the church. The first and most important reference is in Daniel chapter 2.

Mentioned directly? No it is not. Defeat of the Church not possible.
A better interputation

A year, two years, and a half-year: an indefinite, evil period of time. As seven is the Jewish “perfect” number, half of it signifies great imperfection. Actually, this corresponds fairly accurately to the duration of Antiochus’ persecution

[quote=Ann Cheryl]The only thing shocking is that you think it is true. Nothing on the web site substantiates this claim.

I don’t think he ever said he believed it .

Trick
[/quote]

The reason I posted this is because I wanted somebody to refute it. I didn’t exactly believe it.

Most of the “101 biblical prophecies foretelling of the LDS church” are not really biblical fact. They are just biblical facts twisted to suit their needs. Like I could tell you that a Bible prophecies tells of Muhammad and Terri Schiavo. That is not true, there are none.
[/quote]

The same system is used to prove the Pope is the antichrist, if you happen to be 7th-Day Adventist.:frowning:

Or to prove that Baha’u’llah is the Second Coming of Christ, if you’re Baha’i.:hmmm:

How shocking!!!:bigyikes:

[quote=Chazemataz]The Bible foretells of 1830!! Go to www.whyprophets.com and go to Bible Prophecy then to 1830 AD. I am amazed and in shock. It is true! The Bible tells about the restoration of the Church in the Latter Days!
[/quote]

You can order an entire book about the Bible pointing to 1830??? It’s hard to refute this because that site doesn’t give any info, just how to order the book. After looking quickly through the site, what would concern me most is that the author is calling the Catholic Church “the beast” discussed in Revelation.

The jws are also big number crunchers. They’ll give you all sorts of twists in the wind to prove their “theology”. Obviously, they either all correct (?) or none are correct.
I go with none.

I went on to the website you posted and printed out about 20 pages of information(that was all I could possibly read yesterday)
My husband and I sat and read it and the Bible and other references that this site gave for 3 hours last evening.
It is really interesting. I had never heard of this site, and had never heard of those theories before.
It clearly states that the beast is the Roman Empire, not the Catholic Church. Daniel 7:23 (the interpretation of the vision of Rome:the beast has 10 horns, which are ten kingdoms that will arise.
This site explains the apostacy with the Christians trying desparately to keep the church in tact in the same form as Jesus organized it. They do a pretty good job of it for about 4 centuries, at least they keep a semblance, but then comes Constantine, followed by the Emperer Justinian, who deals the death blow to the church by making it mandatory for all the people to be Christians. This brought the unbelieving into the church without being converted, which also brought some of their beliefs to mingle with the Christian beliefs.
The church prior to AD553 believed in premortal existence, but by the action of the second council of Constantinople the teachers of this doctrine were declared “anathema”
" It is after 538 that Justinian conquered Rome and scriptures were suppressed, the Greek and Latin languages ceased to be spoken as living languages, and the people were unable to read them. They prophesied still but their light did not shine because they wer in a language they did not understand. The Catholic church then prohibited the reading of the scriptures by the people without the permission of the saints. "

I don’t know if the above is true, it is just what I read in this site and it does make sense in a historical way, could be just a spin, I am not educated enough to know. I do know that in public school as a child studying the dark ages. They said the bible was taken from the people and was under control of the priests. That supposedly is why the people left the European Continent to come to America where they could have freedom to believe as they wished.
Well, true or not it is all very interesting reading. Someone did a lot of study to come up with it, but it would take years to cover it all.
Thanks for giving the information on the site. :slight_smile: BJ

[quote=BJ Colbert]" It is after 538 that Justinian conquered Rome and scriptures were suppressed, the Greek and Latin languages ceased to be spoken as living languages, and the people were unable to read them. They prophesied still but their light did not shine because they wer in a language they did not understand. The Catholic church then prohibited the reading of the scriptures by the people without the permission of the saints. "

I don’t know if the above is true, it is just what I read in this site and it does make sense in a historical way, could be just a spin, I am not educated enough to know. I do know that in public school as a child studying the dark ages. They said the bible was taken from the people and was under control of the priests. That supposedly is why the people left the European Continent to come to America where they could have freedom to believe as they wished.
[/quote]

I find it really funny when people say the Catholic Church didn’t allow people to read the Bible. Until the printing press, copying a Bible was a difficult and long process, and was done almost exclusively in Latin. Thus, it would not be something that was handed out to the average person. It cost far too much to produce a ton of copies. Priests had to chain Bibles to the altars and other stuff in their churches because people would steal them if they didn’t. They did this in order to assure that there was a Bible to be read at Mass, and so that people could come into the church and read the Bible there.

Side topic…The vast majority of people did not come to America for religious reasons. Cracks me up that that is what is taught in elementary school through high school. Makes all these people out to be such wonderful people. It’s baloney. Most people came to America to get rich! Many came to escape prison. Some came to escape religious persecution. There are obviously other reasons, but the biggest reason was to get rich.

[quote=BJ Colbert]I went on to the website you posted and printed out about 20 pages of information(that was all I could possibly read yesterday)
My husband and I sat and read it and the Bible and other references that this site gave for 3 hours last evening.
It is really interesting. I had never heard of this site, and had never heard of those theories before.
It clearly states that the beast is the Roman Empire, not the Catholic Church. Daniel 7:23 (the interpretation of the vision of Rome:the beast has 10 horns, which are ten kingdoms that will arise.
This site explains the apostacy with the Christians trying desparately to keep the church in tact in the same form as Jesus organized it. They do a pretty good job of it for about 4 centuries, at least they keep a semblance, but then comes Constantine, followed by the Emperer Justinian, who deals the death blow to the church by making it mandatory for all the people to be Christians. This brought the unbelieving into the church without being converted, which also brought some of their beliefs to mingle with the Christian beliefs.
The church prior to AD553 believed in premortal existence, but by the action of the second council of Constantinople the teachers of this doctrine were declared “anathema”
" It is after 538 that Justinian conquered Rome and scriptures were suppressed, the Greek and Latin languages ceased to be spoken as living languages, and the people were unable to read them. They prophesied still but their light did not shine because they wer in a language they did not understand. The Catholic church then prohibited the reading of the scriptures by the people without the permission of the saints. "

Well, true or not it is all very interesting reading. Someone did a lot of study to come up with it, but it would take years to cover it all.
Thanks for giving the information on the site. :slight_smile: BJ
[/quote]

B.J. The Bible was never taken from anyone. they never had a Bible in the first place to take. First of all, most of the people concerned could not afford one, especially if it was handpainted detail and secondly they could not read. The Bible was in the hands of the priests because, wow, they could read.
This is a matter of history both secular and religious. Check out a textbook from the local elementary school or the library or Barnes and Noble.
Perhaps before everyone here starts debating Catholic history, they should first have an awareness of world history timelines. After all the Catholic Church has been around 2000 years. That is a lot of history. I once had a person tell me that the Catholic church would not let any poor people have a Bible in 1200. I pointed out the printing press did not exist until after 1500 and he got mad at me and said all Catholics are too legalistic. Well, sometimes we have to be.

[quote=tkdnick]I find it really funny when people say the Catholic Church didn’t allow people to read the Bible. Until the printing press, copying a Bible was a difficult and long process, and was done almost exclusively in Latin. Thus, it would not be something that was handed out to the average person. It cost far too much to produce a ton of copies. Priests had to chain Bibles to the altars and other stuff in their churches because people would steal them if they didn’t. They did this in order to assure that there was a Bible to be read at Mass, and so that people could come into the church and read the Bible there.

Side topic…The vast majority of people did not come to America for religious reasons. Cracks me up that that is what is taught in elementary school through high school. Makes all these people out to be such wonderful people. It’s baloney. Most people came to America to get rich! Many came to escape prison. Some came to escape religious persecution. There are obviously other reasons, but the biggest reason was to get rich.
[/quote]

Excellent! I should have thought of that, just shows how we forget with all the modern conveniences that they did not have the printing press then, of course they would have to write by hand and of course they would not be handing them out to everyone. If I had to write the bible by hand, I would definitely keep it under lock and key.
The dark ages may not be taught that way in these days. I went to school in the 50’s and schools were not so enlightened then. I’m sure the textbooks have more information in them now, I have not heard my grandchildren even studying the dark ages, so they probably don’t even mention it now. Nice catch…tkdnick :thumbsup: BJ

[quote=BJ Colbert]Excellent! I should have thought of that, just shows how we forget with all the modern conveniences that they did not have the printing press then, of course they would have to write by hand and of course they would not be handing them out to everyone. If I had to write the bible by hand, I would definitely keep it under lock and key.
The dark ages may not be taught that way in these days. I went to school in the 50’s and schools were not so enlightened then. I’m sure the textbooks have more information in them now, I have not heard my grandchildren even studying the dark ages, so they probably don’t even mention it now. Nice catch…tkdnick :thumbsup: BJ
[/quote]

Thanks!

I think I read somewhere that it used to take them several years to produce 1 copy. What a pain it must have been to sit around for years copying every little word. I’m glad we had monks and scholars to do that back then…otherwise we’d have no records at all.

From what I hear the textbooks kids have now-a-days aren’t that great. When I went to school here in Sac, we only had 2 years of world history. 1 in 8th grade and 1 in 9th grade. Neither were very in-depth.

[quote=iwonder]I once had a person tell me that the Catholic church would not let any poor people have a Bible in 1200. I pointed out the printing press did not exist until after 1500 and he got mad at me and said all Catholics are too legalistic. Well, sometimes we have to be.
[/quote]

That is too funny!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.