I am interpretting this correctly?

From the CCC 2187:

Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

I always understood that those jobs that are truly for the benefit of society, such as policeman, hospital workers, EMTs, and even those who keep the utilities running, and those jobs that are truly needed to keep society running and people safe, were the ones that are “excused” from the “no work on Sunday” obligation. However, it seems as though almost any job, including restaurant waiters, chefs, managers, etc. are allowed to work. People don’t need to go out to restaurants to eat on Sundays, they can cook their own meals. This seems as though it opens the door for any excuse for any job for Sunday work.

Well, I need to buy this drill at Home Depot because I needed to make a gift for my grandson. – Thus the HD worker must work.
I needed to go shopping for a new pair of shorts because all of mine were ripped and we were going on a nice picnic. – Thus the JC Penny’s worker must work.
My phone died so I need to go buy a new one at the Verizon store. – Thus the Verizon worker must work.

Where does it end?

I’m invited to go to a birthday party on Sunday for my kids at a nearby restaurant, and my attending the restaurant would cause unnecessary work form those working there. If no one went, they restaurant would realize it shouldn’t be open on Sunday, so I am culpable in their sin, and thus I have sinned. But it really seems that this passage in the CCC says it’s okay?

So which is it?

It’s ok. People still have to eat on Sundays, so *someone *has to cook and clean, right?

As to shopping… for example, a grocery store I go to is open only in the afternnon on Sunday, so the people who work there can go to church. They also do not have the “extra” work like putting stock on the shelves, so they need fewer employees on Sundays and rotate them.

Who says they sinned? Have you considered the fact that others may not be Catholic, and that for many working on Sunday is a must to keep their jobs and feed their families even though they are not in a public service occupation? So you cannot judge them as having sinned, you don’t know really. I would consider being able to support your family a necessity. And the church says eating out in a restaurant on Sunday is ok, (it’s a traditional activity), so someone has to work at the restaurant, according to what you quoted, so why are you worried about a birthday party in a restaurant? You have your answer in what you quoted from the Catechism already.

+1.

In a religiously-plural society, neopuritanism is **not **the Gospel.

ICXC NIKA

I agree, just because other denominations or people who don’t believe in God can’t sin because they don’t believe something is a sin. All sin is sin in God’s eyes and it doesn’t change based on whether you believe or not.

Why is there so much confusion about this? I often hear from EWTN and other Catholic sources that any sort of work on Sundays should be foregone, except for those types of work that I mentioned earlier that are called out specifically in the CCC (e.g.: police, EMT, firefighters). Even our priest says to avoid shopping, do it another day. How does one say that work is okay for some when it is unnecessary work? I mean, that’s my understanding, if it isn’t necessary, you shouldn’t be doing it. There is no need for people to go out to a restaurant, they can eat at home, and people can plan, it’s not like it is an emergency… they know Sunday is coming…

Your obsession with having to work or even have fun on Sundays is bordering on scrupulosity. Blue laws were done away with decades ago except in small pockets of our country and Utah. If you wish to observe the old customs, then that is your business, but why would you want to force those who do not believe as you do to lose one of the two days a week they have for family fun and completing projects they cannot duo during the work week?. Please try and enjoy your weekends with your family. I would imagine that most priests would tell you to chill and relax. EWTN is not the end all AND be all in Catholic matters, sometimes a human perspective (like a priests) is needed to explain how customs and mores change over time.:wink:

Not sure I agree with that, you are right about times changing, people, customs, change over the years, but God does not, I dont think he will take ‘change’ into consideration regarding these issues.

Im not surprised its common for priests and others to tell people its perfectly fine to work, spend money, go shopping, etc on sunday, basically anything that would put a crimp into normal business is NEVER encouraged, no matter what, if that takes a 'slippery interpretation of certain verses, so be it, they will cherry pick to find something that justifies just about anything one can come up with.

Its kinda like, priests, religious leaders, etc care about following Gods laws, but if it infringes too much on ‘normal secular activities’ or companies doing business, rest assured, someone will come up with another verse or certain interpretation that seemingly says its OK…IMO, people want to be justified in doing whatever they want, they are just serving this up for them on a silver platter.

Plus, ya know, all these companies, retail stores take FULL advantage when Christmas rolls around each year!! (for the wrong reasons of course), but they are still recognizing and celebrating it, turn the tables though, if something religious turns out to have a negative effect on them, they suddenly want nothing to do with it, or like I said above, grasp at straws to find some way to justify the actions.

Personally, I do make an effort not go shopping on Sundays. I figure the less people shop on Sundays, the less the stores will find a need to be open on the Lord’s Day. I occasionally hang out with friends at restaurants on Sundays, though.

I suppose some people have to work in restaurants to feed people who are away from home but to go out to a restaurant on Sunday simply because you feel like it is selfish and increases the demand for workers on Sunday. Most Catholics don’t care.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.