I have never even been baptized, yet I think God wants me to be a priest and I think I want to be a priest. To be sure that I am not just caught up in zeal, I created an account on this site just to share this and to get some advice. Here is the story.
I am in college right now. I felt the desire to be a Roman Catholic about five years ago, and I have been contemplating the priesthood for a while as well. I have tried to tell myself to snap out of it when I get these periodic feelings, and I am afraid to surrender all that I have wanted to be for most of my life. I have always wanted to go to a great law school, become a lawyer, and maybe go into politics. Now it seems like those are/were selfish goals. The main reason why I wanted to do those things was mainly out of ambition and to satisfy my own ego.
Here are the reasons why I think I might be called:
- I feel closer to God and want to serve him
- I feel that I have skills that allow me to engage with people and aid people
- I love studying philosophy, Church teaching, and anything Catholic
- I am mesmerized by the Catholic Church
- My past plans seem trivial now
- I look good in black
- Joining the priesthood feels like the way I was meant to honor God
Here are the reasons why I think I might not be called:
- I am not even Catholic yet, and I don't have the strongest relationship with God
- I am kind of an introvert
- I wrote this post like a legal argument
- My life is very sinful - full of lust, pride, anger, disobedience
- I don't know enough about Catholicism
- Why would God put such grand plans in my mind before, but then change them just as I was starting to get closer to them?
- I have not been given a tangible sign
I am not saying that I am going to transfer to a seminary college. I even still have a few years of college left. I am going to change my major to philosophy, and even if I do not have the call, this major is still much better for preparing for law school and in a legal career.
Still, I feel more relaxed, content, and meaningful in possibly being a priest. I am, nevertheless, afraid to stop doing what I had always wanted to do and change the course I had planned for myself when I was very young. My plans are all muddled right now, and I don't know what I should be doing.
Any ideas or advice?