I am so excited about my upcoming convalidation!

Since I didn’t know until after I eloped with my husband that I was baptized into the Catholic church as a baby, and since I was raised in the Baptist church, I didn’t know that as a baptized Catholic, I should be married in the Catholic church. When my husband and I began the ‘conversion’ process in January, our wonderful priest stressed the importance of my infant baptism and my identity as a Catholic. This was joyful for me, because after all these years of being curious about the Catholic church, yet believing it would be impossible for me to join the Church, here I discover that I am already Catholic!:smiley:
Of course, that brought the priest to the tricky subject of educating my husband and I on marriage. He reassured us that we had not sinned, because neither of us were aware of my baptism, nor of Catholic teaching, nor of the idea of sacramental marriage. But he stressed the importance of making our marriage valid and sacramental by having a convalidation ceremony (especially since we went to a justice of the peace to elope). He also wanted us to understand that what we had intended to do 13 years ago we were unable to do because Christians (Catholics) are called to sacramental marriage. Anyway, many of you here already understand convalidation very well, so I’ll spare you all the details of our discussion. I am just getting so excited to have the opportunity to go before God in His Church, and make our marriage valid. My husband and I have loved each other deeply since we were 18, and we have always intended to have a lifelong marriage blessed by God and now we feel that our convalidation ceremony is elevating our commitment and partnership with each other to the level of a sacrament. I am so excited.
After our first confession, and then our convalidation ceremony, I will be able to take communion at Mass, and my husband and I will both be confirmed at Easter vigil. We are also planning for the immediate baptism of our son soon after Easter. Our daughter was christened as an infant in the Lutheran church (husband’s parents are Lutheran). Anyway, with both of us coming from seriously broken homes, we are doing our utmost to create a Godly legacy with our marriage and our family. And now that we learned about the authority and the graces found in the Catholic church, we feel even more enabled to do, with God’s help, what we have intended to do.
Sorry this is so long and rambling! I am just so excited about the next couple of months that I tried to say everything at once to express my joy. Has anyone else, looking back, seen God’s hand in bringing them to (or back to) the Catholic church and experienced such a dramatic ‘conversion’ time?

[quote="Randi, post:1, topic:188102"]
Since I didn't know until after I eloped with my husband that I was baptized into the Catholic church as a baby, and since I was raised in the Baptist church, I didn't know that as a baptized Catholic, I should be married in the Catholic church. When my husband and I began the 'conversion' process in January, our wonderful priest stressed the importance of my infant baptism and my identity as a Catholic. This was joyful for me, because after all these years of being curious about the Catholic church, yet believing it would be impossible for me to join the Church, here I discover that I am already Catholic!:D

[/quote]

What an amazing story!!! WOW!!!!

I am just so excited about the next couple of months that I tried to say everything at once to express my joy.

I am so excited for you!!!!!! What a wonderful thing, to bring your marriage and your child into the Fullness of Truth!!

I will keep you all in my prayers this Lent as you travel closer to Home. :D

~Liza

wow all these sacraments, all this grace, stand back because the Holy Spirit will be working wonders with you and your family. God Bless You and welcome home

thanks for sharing your story because it makes the point beautifully about the consequences of baptizing a child and then neglecting her upbringing in the faith. Your children will be much more fortunate and blessed.

Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing, may your lenten build up to Easter be a time of more spiritual gifts.

The Holy Spirit is at work here indeed!

:bounce::extrahappy::bounce:

That is so wonderful!!! :)

What a beautiful story!:)

Welcome Home! The day of your convalidation will the be the happiest day of your life. :extrahappy:

Congratulations! You’ll be amazed at how grace floods your life through the sacraments! I’m a convert from a Southern Baptist Church too and received the sacraments of reconciliation, communion, confirmation and matrimony all in one year and it was absolutely amazing and transformative!

How exciting!

Welcome home!! I'm so excited for you and your family. :thumbsup:

I had quite a journey home as well. This past Sunday when the people in RCIA were presented to the congregation I couldn't help but well up in tears with joy. It's been almost 11 years for me and I can see God's hand clearly in my journey. He pulled me out of Mormonism, into Christianity and then HOME!

Steph

Congrats on your upcoming convalidation!

I shed tears of joy for you. Congratulations.

Randi, your post made my teary eye. I'm so happy for you. And welcome home to the both of you in the fullest sense. :) There are a lot of nice siblings waiting for you. Watch out for the black sheep though. :p

What an exciting time for you and your family! I know just how you feel, because we just had our convalidation ceremony this morning. :smiley: I was also baptized Catholic as a baby but was raised in a Methodist church, but my husband was raised Catholic and had been away from the Church since before we were married the first time almost 12 years ago. Now he’s back in full Communion with the Church, and I will be confirmed next Easter (got in too late to be in this year’s RCIA class).

This morning before the ceremony, our 8 year old told our priest “I can’t wait till I’m Catholic, too!”:love: It feels good to know we’re back where we belong!

Wow! God bless you, and congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story! We had our marriage convalidated 3 years ago, right before I came home to the Church at Easter Vigil. I thought I was "converting" from Lutheranism, and I just learned, this past year, that I too was validly baptised Catholic as an infant in a Catholic hospital, when my life was believed to be in jeopardy! No wonder it feels so much like home! It's amazing to find out you were Catholic all along! My husband will receive the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and first communion at this Easter Vigil, which will make our marriage sacramental. We are feeling blessings rain down here too! My prayers are with you during this most exciting Lenten journey!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.