I am SO UNWORTHY!

Looking in my past and all that, all the sins I’ve commited, and all the things I should’ve did but didn’t do…I’m SO UNWORTHY to take Holy Communion! :frowning:

In fact, I sometimes feel so unworthy that I feel that I should NOT participate in the Holy Eucharist! Even after being confirmed! :eek: Something wrong with me!?

Anyone else feel this way? What does the Church say about this or what to do?

[quote=Paris Blues]Looking in my past and all that, all the sins I’ve commited, and all the things I should’ve did but didn’t do…I’m SO UNWORTHY to take Holy Communion! :frowning:

In fact, I sometimes feel so unworthy that I feel that I should NOT participate in the Holy Eucharist! Even after being confirmed! :eek: Something wrong with me!?

[/quote]

we are all unworthy… if salvation depended on our worthiness,
none of us would make it… so we pray…

“Father, i know i am not worthy to receive You,
but only say the word and i shall be healed”

and we have faith, that He will heal us… if we do the things
He asks…

:slight_smile:

Paris:

Sounds like you are suffering a case of the jitters due to what is comming or you are just being scrupulous.

If you will be going to confession before receiving, your sins will have been forgiven. If you are being baptized, all your sins will be washed away.

PF

My experience with my own scrupulosity has been in the confessional. When it comes time for Mass, I can’t wait to get to the Eucharist.

John is right - we are all unworthy. The fact that you recognize it is a great blessing. Don’t let this blessing keep you from receiving an even greater blessing, OK?

If you continue to have problems, try discussing it with your priest or spiritual director.

My dear sister,

Sometimes I choke up during Mass as we pray and sing. The Eucharistic prayer, “Lord I am not worthy to receive you but only say the word and I shall be healed.” does it every time. (Read what I said here ) I choke up a lot. Especially as I worship Him thankfully as He resides miraculously within me after Communion. I wouldn’t trade it for anything but His presence like that forever in heaven, and I beg Him to help me be just exactly the person that He wants me to be and to forgive me for all the times I fall.

The Eucharistic miracle works in me every time.

Remember this from John 15:
“16 You have not chosen me: but I have chosen you; and have appointed you, that you should go, and should bring forth fruit; and your fruit should remain: that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.” (the whole chapter is great, so be sure to read it!)
Pax tecum,

I think I’ve been through that. That’s why I try to confess every week. The thing is you have to be able to determine what is venial and what’s grave. It is normal to think that we are unworthy, in fact we’re supposed to since it’s what our faith teaches: “Lord, I am not worthy to recieve you…” However, we have to remember: “…but only say the word and I shall be healed.” Our Lord said the word at the Last Supper. If you are not in a state of Grave sin, you should recieve. If you have venial sins you just have to feel sorry for them and you’ll be healed by recieving.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Paris:

Sounds like you are suffering a case of the jitters due to what is comming or you are just being scrupulous.

If you will be going to confession before receiving, your sins will have been forgiven. If you are being baptized, all your sins will be washed away.

PF
[/quote]

I think it’s basically the fact that me, you, all are sinners 'cause we are born sinners. I just don’t understand why a All-Holy God can Love such stupid, evil sinners! I desire to be holy but that effect of Original Sin always gets me down.

It seems to me that the will and the flesh are in spiritual war. No really Paris Blues? :rolleyes:

[quote=Paris Blues]Looking in my past and all that, all the sins I’ve commited, and all the things I should’ve did but didn’t do…I’m SO UNWORTHY to take Holy Communion! :frowning:

[/quote]

Hi Paris , What you need is a good dose of the GOSPILL.and get some rest. :thumbsup: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Paris , What you need is a good dose of the GOSPILL.and get some rest. :thumbsup: God Bless
[/quote]

Yeah, you know Paris, he’s absolutely right, here’s your “gospill”:

"So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me. This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.” ~John 6: 53-58 :thumbsup:

We are so unworthy, but Jesus gave himself up so that we may be made worthy of the Kingdom of Heaven. I admire your scuples…I wish I felt the same way whenever I recieved communion. We are unworthy…but doesn’t that make God all the more merciful and the blessings He gives us all the more powerful?

Unworthy, you say? Well, I feel I’m an expert on being not worthy (pardon the pun). Yes, we are all not worthy, and nothing we can do will make us worthy. But Christ loves us unconditionally.

I think feeling unworthy is one of the keys. The moment that we do feel worthy to receive the Eucharist, we need to go right back and start over at the beginning, because we just don’t get it.

For this reason, I will always be,

NotWorthy

I sooo know what you mean Paris. Every time I go to communion I feel totally humbled. Who am I that the Son of God is able to be so close to me? It’s just awe inspiring. Sometimes I tear up a little when I head back to my pew. When you really think about it, it’s overwhelming, this gift we are able to share in.

It gets so bad for me that for the past few weeks, i havent gone to communion because each time my sins come flooding back to me and I feel so unworthy.

I didnt go to confession last weeked, and didnt have the Eucharist.

I say, that im too scrupulous.

Not that i suffer from it, :).

The best thing to do is pray the rosary.

I cant wait for Sunday now.

Rambling…

In Christ

Andre.

IMHO,
If ever you do feel that you’ve committed a sin serious enough that you should not receive the Eucharist, then a good idea would be to go to the priest straight after mass and ask him to hear your confession.
Even better is, if you think about it just before mass, then you can meet with the priest for a minute before he goes in and have confessions then. That way you can recieve the Eucharist (-:

You feel unworthy, but apparently Christ felt otherwise. He came to earth, taught about God, died for you, made it possible for you to receive him in the Eucharist and called you too him!

Who are you going to believe?

You are made worthy by Christ himself, by your relationship with him and accepting the grace offered and the power of the Spirit to follow the will of God.

You may be unworthy on your own, but you are NOT on your own!

Blessings,

cheddar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.