"I am the Immaculate Conception."

Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Celebrated on December 8th

Today’s feast was first approved by Pope Sixtus IV in 1476.

In 1854, Pius IX solemnly decreed that ‘the most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by the singular grace and privilege of Almighty God, and in view of the merits of Christ Jesus the Saviour of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin. That is revealed by God and therefore firmly and constantly to be believed by all the faithful.’

n 1830 St Catherine Laboure experienced a vision in which she saw Our Lady standing on a globe with rays of light emanating from her hands. The vision was surrounded by an oval frame on which were the words 'Oh Mary conceived without sin pray for us who have recourse to you " .

In 1858 in Lourdes, the 14 year old St Bernadette, who had very little education and would have know nothing of papal statements, began to experience a series of apparitions of ‘a lady’, When she asked her name, the Lady replied: “I am the Immaculate Conception.”

Saint Bernard wrote of Mary: "If you follow her you do not stray; if you think of her your mind does not err; if you ask of her, you will not be disappointed; if you cling to her, you will not fall. If she be with you, all is well, and you will realise the truth of the words ‘the name of the virgin was Mary.’

May Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception bless especially the people of the United States of America whose patron she is .

Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by the singular grace and privilege of Almighty God.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p6.htm

[967] By her complete adherence to the Father’s will, to his Son’s redemptive work, and to every prompting of the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary is the Church’s model of faith and charity. Thus she is a “preeminent and . . . wholly unique member of the Church”; indeed, she is the “exemplary realization” ( typus )510 of the Church.

**[968] Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. "In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior’s work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace."511

[969] "This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation . . . . Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix."512.

Sirach 24:18, I am the mother of beautiful love, of fear, of knowledge, and of holy hope; being eternal, I am given to all my children, to those who are named by him.

Wisdom 7:22 There is in her a spirit that is intelligent, holy,unique, manifold, subtle,mobile, clear, unpolluted,distinct, invulnerable, loving the good, keen,irresistible, 23 beneficent, humane,steadfast, sure, free from anxiety,all-powerful, overseeing all,and penetrating through all spirits that are intelligent, pure, and altogether subtle.24 For wisdom is more mobile than any motion;because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things.25 For she is a breath of the power of God,and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty;therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her.26 For she is a reflection of eternal light,a spotless mirror of the working of God,and an image of his goodness.27 Although she is but one, she can do all things,and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;in every generation she passes into holy souls and makes them friends of God, and prophets;28 for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

I love the Miraculous Medal

I do too. It is a beautiful reminder of Our Lady that we can wear to feel her close by.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.