I am unsure of when to make a confession

I have not been to church in years, I have been Catholic for ever since I can remember. But about three years ago I went through a very tough time in my life, and I turned to sin and essentially abandoned my religion. Now, three years later, I have sorted out my problems, and I am ashamed of how I acted. I wish to go to church once more, and be fogiven by God. But I have a problem. Like I said, during that time I was going through personal issues. I turned to sin, and I commited countless acts that I would not feel comfortable mentioning here. So basically I need to confess, but the problem is, I don’t remember when or how to. I am not sure if it is after mass, before… Or on a totally different day. I am also unsure of how to. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Call the Church office, tell the person that you need to set up a meeting with Father and it may need to be lengthy due to personal matters you need to discuss with him. He will be so glad you’ve come back home and are going to confession. Do this asap.

Thank you so much! I will do this as soon as I can. I was so clueless as to what to do! Thanks again!

Believe me Father will be MORE THAN HAPPY to meet with you when he can and he will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy you are back in the Church. Be honest, tell him everything and be free of your sins once absolved.

I will tell him everything! I am just so worried that I might forget something important.

It’s ok to make a list. Just afterward make sure to destroy it. He will understand you being nervous or forgetful.

@Sit_laus_Deo

your can confess multiple times make your examination of conscious,your confessing to Jesus Priest are instruments

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/sacraments-and-sacramentals/penance/examinations-of-conscience.cfm

Before celebrating the Sacrament of Penance, one should prepare oneself with an examination of conscience, which involves reflecting prayerfully on one’s thoughts, words, and deeds in order to identify any sins.

There are various types of examinations of conscience but regardless of which one you use to prepare yourself for the Sacrament it should be rooted in Scripture; particularly, the Ten Commandments and Beatitudes. Below are a few examples of Examinations of Conscience that can help you prepare for the Sacrament.

Examination of Conscience based on the Ten Commandments

Examination of Conscience in Light of Catholic Social Teaching I En Español

Examination of Conscience for Children

Examination of Conscience for Young Adults

Examination of Conscience for Single People

Examination of Conscience for Married Persons

Alright, thank you both. I have such a bad memory.

Also to make it easier get the “worst”/if any mortal" sins out of the way first. Once you’ve confessed those the rest will be easier.

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/prayer/examconscience.htm

you can write down your sins in a paper and ask Jesus to reveal your hidden sins,don’t ever get discouraged,if the priest is busy or if the priest has important work he may rushy up ,you can always confess to another priest or to the same priest if is free, fix an appointment.please do not delay to confess them ASAP.there is also a General Confession you can write down all your sins from childhood till present but you need to speak to your priest about it and fix an prior appointment for that.god Bless

I agree. Just charge in with the worst stuff. End with the venial sins. Once you get the ugliest stuff out of the way, it gets better, especially when you realize the Priest is not recoiling in horror. :slight_smile:

@Sit_laus_Deo
Isaiah 1:18 Come now, let us argue it out,says the Lord:though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be like snow;though they are red like crimson,they shall become like wool.
19 If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land;20 but if you refuse and rebel,
you shall be devoured by the sword;for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

2 Corinthians 7:9 Now I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because your grief led to repentance; for you felt a godly grief, so that you were not harmed in any way by us. 10 For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation and brings no regret, but worldly grief produces death. 11 For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! At every point you have proved yourselves guiltless in the matter.

Jeremiah 29:11 11 For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.

Deuteronomy 4:1 So now, Israel, give heed to the statutes and ordinances that I am teaching you to observe, so that you may live to enter and occupy the land that the Lord, the God of your ancestors, is giving you. 2 You must neither add anything to what I command you nor take away anything from it, but keep the commandments of the Lord your God with which I am charging you.9 But take care and watch yourselves closely, so as neither to forget the things that your eyes have seen nor to let them slip from your mind all the days of your life; make them known to your children and your children’s children— 10 how you once stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when the Lord said to me, “Assemble the people for me, and I will let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me as long as they live on the earth, and may teach their children so

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good;and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God?

Call your area parish and ask a priest to schedule a consult.
He will walk you through the process.
It is tough to go back to confession, but truly worthwhile things in life are never easy.
I will pray for you! :pray:

Wow, thanks for all the insightful help you guys. This has all helped a lot, and I am looking forward to getting all my sins of my chest!

You can also just do what most of us do: look up the local parish online, note the confession hours, go early and stand in line, enter the confessional, and tell your sins to the priest.
Here’s the basic formula:
Bless me Father, for I have sinned.
It has been ____ since my last confession (how long ago).
These are my sins:
___
___
___ etc.
For these and all the sins of my past life, I ask pardon of God and absolution from you Father.

Father will counsel you, ask questions if needed, give absolution, give you penance to do, and ask you to say an act of contrition. In my church’s confessional, the act of contrition is written in the confessional for people who can’t remember it.

Most confessionals allow for a choice of screen or face to face. I like the screen.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.