I am watching The Nativity Story for the first time

Hi everyone. I am now watching The Nativity Story for the first time. It is a very good movie and from what I have heard, it is accurate to Catholic doctrines of the sinlessness of Mary and such. :slight_smile: My best friend, Darrell, got it for me for Christmas. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me about it. I have it in a box of dvd’s and plan on watching it with the kids before Christmas. Tim

Actually i thought the filmmakers went out of their way to portray Mary as a brat. The annunciation is just a glossed over part of the movie too. Actually, in an interview, the director said she wanted to portray Mary as not being perfect.

BennyBoy

Actually i thought the filmmakers went out of their way to portray Mary as a brat.

I agree. They used the modern day feminism mind-set to portray Mary as a strong woman, rather than a humble holy woman.

The annunciation is just a glossed over part of the movie too. Actually, in an interview, the director said she wanted to portray Mary as not being perfect.

The director must not understand what spiritual purity is about.

I prefer the nativity story in the movie Jesus Of Nazareth, over The Nativity Story.

Jesus of Nazareth is part of my library collection, but The Nativity Story didn’t make it.

Jim

Hmmm, I didn’t really notice the worse points of the film. I thought it was pretty good myself.

I liked the film too. The only parts I didn’t agree with… when Mary was shown taking part in the immature behavior of the other young people; romping through the fields and throwing seeds at one of the boys.

And also, when they portrayed her as “stomping out” of the house, after learning she was betrothed to Joseph. Our Lady would not have behaved that way… because she was (and is) sinless. She would have behaved in complete obedience and graciousness to the will of her parents.

The director of the film, obviously didn’t have a “Catholic” understanding of Our Blessed Mother. But otherwise, I thought the film was good.

Not only did I cry during it when I initially saw it back in 2006, but my parish viewed it at an Advent retreat which was held a few weeks back, and several people are still talking about it.

I find myself preferring to ask for the prayers of the Mary as portrayed in The Nativity Story rather than the romanticized, overly-idealized Mary of Raphael or El Greco. She really captured my heart.

I can’t get past the fact that the actress went and got herself pregnant with her boyfriend at the age of 16. They picked a girl like that to play the Blessed Virgin? I am going to have to be really bored before I’ll watch that movie.

DaveBj

Our Lady may not have been a classical demi-goddess, but she was conceived without original sin, and wouldn’t have behaved as a brat like the movie portrays.

You may be right, but never once during the course of the movie did I see her commit a violation against God’s Law.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.