I am worried about the unpardonable sin. Did I commit it?

I’m worried that I may have committed the unpardonable sin. I keep thinking I have accidentally said bad things about the Holy Spirit. When I heard about it being saying that the Holy Spirit is dem**ic, I started having bad thoughts. Today, I think I kept thinking about what I would feel like if I said it and I had horrible thoughts imaginging it. I’m scrupulous and I always think I’ve said something blasphemous if I’ve just breathed while having a bad thought. I don’t even know if I have said anything bad about the Holy Spirit today. I don’t hate the Trinity and recently I have just been anxious and fearful. Please answer these or any of these questions:

1. Can I be forgiven, if I had said anything, it was not out of malice.?
  2. The Catholic teaching about the unpardonable sin is that is refusing to repent and accept God’s mercy. As a Catholic, I am supposed to believe in the Church and the Catehchism teaching aren’t I? So then I should believe that as the unpardonable sin and not worry about having said or saying bad verbal things?
  3. From the Bible text about the unpardonable sin, why is it interpreted to be refusal to repent etc?(CCC teaching)

Thanks, please help

Murphy,

I know how anxious you are to get make sure you are right with God, so I’m going to walk you through step by step. First are links explaining our assurance of God’s forgiveness when we repent of wrongdoing. Second is information which you might find beneficial on the form of spiritual OCD called scrupulosity that is putting these doubts in your mind. Third is an explanation of the unforgivable sin being an unrepented sin. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading on Being Forgiven:
Can I be sure I’ll be forgiven?

What should I do regarding these scrupulous issues?

Recommended Reading on Scrupulosity:
How do I cope with consent of the will and OCD?
Any help with scruples?
Am I being scrupulous?
Is the book “Understanding Scrupulosity” OK?
How do I conquer scrupulosity?

Recommended Reading on the Unpardonable Sin:
Is there a sin that will not be forgiven even with repentance?
Is there a damnable sin?
Have I committed the Unforgivable Sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.