I ask a question about James 5:14-15

(Is anyone among you sick? 6 He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord,
and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven. )

And was told any one can anoint ths sick person but WHy do we summon the presbyter(priest) why not just ask a family member or a nurse or the guy in the next roam.,I my self have been near death two times and we always wait for a priest and it worked for me,if Benny Hinn,Leroy Jeskins or Earnest Angly walk in it"s over,its to late for a priest. Please don"t get mad at me.

dont understand what your trying to say went over my head but hey had a long night…crying baby

The amazing thing for me is that the sick person does not even have to be a believer or consent to being prayed over. The faith of those who take him to the Lord is enough as the Gospels clearly show.

Pax Christi

The verse demonstrates several things the Church has taught for 2,000 years. First, in order to confect the sacrament, one must call for the elders or priests of the Church. This requires men specially ordained to do the job, and gets into what we mean by Church (don’t forget about Peter, the keys, dynastic succession, priestly ordination, the power to bind and loose, and the pinnacle and bulwark of the truth). Secondly, James says the priests’ prayer of faith will save the sick man and the Lord will raise him up. This demonstrates that the Church’s priests act in the person of Christ (“in persona Christi”) in furthering Christ’s work of salvation. Yes, Jesus is our only Savior, but He desires us to participate in His eternal priesthood, and He calls certain men to participate in a very intimate way by effecting salvation (through the ministerial priesthood described here). So the priests, through the power of Christ, save the sick man’s soul.

Finally, by virtue of the actions and prayers of the priests, the sick man’s sins are forgiven (this is what actually saves the man’s soul). Protestants have great difficulty with this verse particularly because it demonstrates that priests have the power and authority to forgive sins (which was given to men by Christ; see also Matthew 9:8). Unlike what the Bible provides, no where in its theology or practice does Protestantism provide for priestly forgiveness of sins or the sacrament of the sick.

Amen.

Our Priests and even Deacons are ordained by succession by the Apostles of Christ the Lord. They are very special.

We are well blessed by some very uplifting clergy. God bless them all and thank you Lord for giving them to us, Your Agents of great spiritual healing

Blessings and Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.