I believe the Catholic Mass is the perfect expression of Christianity and how we are to; “Keep the Sabbath Holy”. Does anybody disagree?

I believe that the Catholic Mass is the perfect expression of Christianity and how we are to; “Keep the Sabbath Holy”. Does anybody disagree?

I will attempt to, one post at a time, illustrate why the Catholic Mass** is** the perfect way to worship, honor and glorify God.

Hint: It starts with the configuration of the Church building itself and with the front doors of the Church.

See my next post, (coming soon)

· **If you do not agree with me, that that Mass is perfect, share your thoughts and information here. **

****· ****If you agree with me, that Mass is perfect, share your thoughts and information here.

Please try to prove the reason for your belief and list any sources used**.**

I think when this discussion is over; it will prove the perfection of the Roman Catholic Mass.

This will be especially true if my Catholic brothers and sisters here at CAF, give me a little help here, to prove this point.

You will be amazed. There exist many talented people here a CAF, so please help me with this one.

I think this thread has the possibility of being very insightful, even to Roman Catholics. There is much information out there explaining the Roman Catholic Mass.

Try to keep this discussion in chronological order.

Feel free to use Bible verses, history and tradition, the commentary of others and your own personal views.

They said therefore unto Him “Lord, give us always this bread”. and Jesus said to them: “I am the Bread of Life; he that cometh to me shall not hunger: and he that believeth in me shall never thirst”.
(John 6:34-35)
Then Jesus said to them: “Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day”.
(John 6:54-55)
“For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me and I in him. As the Living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me”.
(John 6:56-58)
“He that eateth this bread, shall live forever”
(John 6:59)

The Catholic Mass is a gift from God.:signofcross: .
(John 6:59)

The mass is really an imitation of what is taking place perpetually in Heaven. I voted no because we don’t have the beatific vision being here on earth, so we do the best we can, but we can’t be perfect although it is a very good thing to participate in something perfect to the best of our abilities.

In order to not upset Eastern Catholics, I would say the Catholic Liturgy, both Eastern and Western is the perfect experssion of Christianity. If it’s possible for you to change your poll, I would.

Sometimes Latin-Rite Catholics forget that there are Eastern Catholics. Their liturgy is every bit much as important. Some are even older than the Roman Liturgies.

Pace e Bene
Andrew

I think the right way to observe Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday with that time spent talking about God and things, like the Torah says. But it’s just mandatory for Jews not Gentiles.

By not bowing down to pressure to quit preaching about God, Jesus was sent to the cross, that was his final sacrifice, once and for all. Then God rewarded his obedience by making him Messiah and High Priest.

As High Priest Jesus takes our prayers to God to make atonement for us. So our prayers are the real sacrifice, by asking Jesus to take them to God for us accepts that he is Messiah (bread) of the New Covenant (wine).

The bread and wine isn’t a sacrifice of Jesus over and over again, but symbolic of our belief that Jesus takes our sacrifice of prayer to God in the New Covenant.

So then, it’s ok to do the consuming of literal bread and wine whenever you want, but the real symbolism of bread and wine is simply belief that Jesus is the Messiah of the New Covenant.

The Mass is imperfect.
If this is a prayer for all the faithful, then we are losing the whole congregation at various times throughout the celebration. When was the last time you went to Mass and were not distracted by anything for the entire time that Mass was going on? Be honest about this.
It is in fact psychologically impossible to concentrate through the entire Mass as we are supposed to do. Most people can hold to a single subject for five to ten minutes. The Mass is too long for anyone to maintain complete control for concentrating. Everyone suffers from the need to allow the mind to wander. If the Mass is supposed to be perfect then it was written for some other species.

I have better ability than most in this area and even I cannot hold to the prayers. I do the best I can and that is enough.

Matthew

Hello Matthew (drafdog), thank you for your post (#6),

Everybody is different and we all have a different attention span, at different times in our lives. I am fortunate because I am usually not distracted during the Mass. This is in part, because I know what is coming next and I am looking forward to it.

For me, I break down Mass into many sections, there are many times for quite prayer and reflection, for instance, during the collection offering, and after communion, so it is at these points one does get somewhat of a “break”.

As far as the length of the Mass goes, which is generally one hour, the Police and the Military schedule training and classes at 55 minutes to one hour, because all studies have revealed that, that is how long a person can stay focused. I believe that the “one hour” model is also used in schools here in the United States for the same reason.

The length of Mass, is one of the many, many reasons why I feel the Mass is perfect, God knew how long our attention span was before any “study” was conducted because He created us.

Here is how you can view the Mass in segments and this might help you with your ability to concentrate on the Mass and be less distracted.

First, when you go to Mass, if you don’t already, think about what you are about to participate in, you are about to witness a miracle, God with us. You are for one hour, going to be united with all other Catholics worldwide, who are also attending Mass at their parish and united with all of the Angels and Saints and Jesus, Heaven on Earth! Wow, if we think of it this way, then how could we ever be distracted?

The Mass can be divided into these (25) sections:
[LIST]
*]ENTRANCE SONGS (taken from Psalms)
*]GREETING (of peace, a blessing / making the sign of the Cross)
*]PENITENTIAL RITE (I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and sisters…)
*]KYRIE (Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy…One of the Churches most ancient prayers)
*]GLORY (Glory to God in the highest…)
*]OPENING PRAYER (“that God will increase in our faith”…)
*]THE FIRST READING (Old Testament)
*]THE RESPONSORIAL PSALM
*]THE SECOND READING (New Testament)
*]THE GOSPEL ACCLAMATION (Alleluia, Alleluia…)
*]THE GOSPEL READING (Gospel)
*]THE HOMILY (SERMON)
*]THE PROFESSION OF FAITH (the Creed – “We believe in one God…”)
*]THE PRAYER OF THE FAITHFUL (“Lord hear our prayer”)
*]PREPARATION OF THE GIFTS – (Blessed are you Lord God…") Invitation prayer (“May the Lord accept this sacrifice…”)
*]PREFACE (“Lord have mercy…Holy Holy, Holy Lord…”)
*]PRAYER OVER THE GIFTS
*]EUCHARISTIC PRAYER (“…Dying you destroyed our death, rising you restored our life. Lord Jesus Christ come in glory…”)
*]THE LORD’S PRAYER (the Our Father prayer)
*]RITE OF PEACE (“I leave you peace my peace of give you…")
*]BREAKING OF THE BREAD (Lamb of God you take away the sins of the world: have mercy on us…”)
*]COMMUNION (…“Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.”)
*]COMMUNION SONG (PSALMS)
*]THANKSGIVING PRAYER (“Lord, you renew us at this table with the bread of life…”)
*]CONCLUDING RITE (another blessing with the sign of the Cross, “The lord be with you…Go in peace…”)[/LIST]I hope this helps…God Bless.

I think “perfect” is a very strong word. I will say that the Catholic Mass, whichever rite or form you choose, when done with reverence and in accordance with the rubrics, is as close to perfection as we can get on this Earth. That is we as imperfect people trying to do our sincere best to follow God’s perfect will.

The Prophet Malachi (Mal. 1:11) announces the coming abrogation of the old rites and the institution of a new and universal sacrifice. His hearers, of course, could not understand the full meaning of his words, but ever since the days of the Apostles, Christian writers have been unanimous in interpreting them as a reference to the sacrifice of the Mass. The Council of Trent authoritatively confirmed this interpretation in its decree upon the sacrifice of the Mass: “And this indeed is that clean oblation which cannot be defiled by any unworthiness or wickedness in those who offer; the clean oblation which the Lord, speaking by Malachi, foretold would be offered in every place to his name, which would be great among the Gentiles.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.