I Bless you Jesus? Fundamentalist/Evangelicals

I watch TBN when EWTN doesn’t have something on that interests me, and several times I have heard a minister of the Lord in prayer saying something along the lines of “I Bless you Jesus and your Holy name…” This has usually been at the begining…

Question: How does that work? Is this just a slip of tongue, a mistake that might happen during free prayer?

It confuses me because I thought that all blessings come from God…how can we Bless God…not that I think it’s evil…It just causes me confusion…

The Psalmist sings,

“Bless the Lord, O my soul”

It’s biblical.

No problem.

It carries roughly the same intent as Mary’s magnificat, a general expression of humble praise and worship.

Well…that was easy enough…thanks for the quick Bible lesson:D

It is traditional in the Stations of the Cross as well
We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you…
tee

Yes…Of course…I had forgotten that also! It confuses me there too…

I don’t understand it still…it is Biblical…but I’m wondering how it works. Maybe this is a question I’ll ask Jesus someday.

If you take the Latin word for “bless” (benedicere), and separate it into its two parts, you get bene, which means well, and dicere, which means to speak. So in a literal sense to bless someone means to “speak well” of someone, and to call someone blessed is to say that they are “well spoken-of” (benedictus).

Obviously a blessing from God is more than Him speaking well of us :slight_smile: , but in our case of saying “We bless you Lord, etc.”, it can be taken as the equivalent of saying that we are praising the Lord.

That’s my take on it anyway - that’s my interpretation of what it means for us to “bless” God. :slight_smile:

God bless :smiley: ,

Karolina

This might help:

bless /blɛs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bles] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), blessed or blest, bless·ing.
1. to consecrate or sanctify by a religious rite; make or pronounce holy.
2. to request of God the bestowal of divine favor on: Bless this house.
3. to bestow good of any kind upon: a nation blessed with peace.
4. to extol as holy; glorify: Bless the name of the Lord.
5. to protect or guard from evil (usually used interjectionally): Bless you! Bless your innocent little heart!
6. to condemn or curse: I’ll be blessed if I can see your reasoning. Bless me if it isn’t my old friend!
7. to make the sign of the cross over or upon: The Pope blessed the multitude.
[Origin: bef. 950; ME blessen, OE blétsian, blédsian to consecrate, orig. with blood, earlier *blōdisōian (blōd blood + -isō- derivational suffix + -ian v. suffix)]

Well…Why didn’t I think of looking in the dictionary??? Hahaha.

I was under the understanding that a blessing was only to make Holy…which we can’t do…I did not realize that it was to also Pronounce Holy…

Thank you Della and Morning star…your work is done you have effectively taught me something today…you can now rest.:stuck_out_tongue:

I look at it as if we are a blessing to God in that we are obedient to Him. Like how you count your blessings, hopefully when God counts His, you’re one of them. :smiley:

And think of the alternative: Would you sooner bless the Lord or curse him? :eek:

tee

Hmmmm - this made me think: So, there is more than one way to use the word ‘bless’ - it can mean to sanctify or it can also mean to extol, glorify.

Might be a good way to explain the word ‘pray’ when fundamentalists don’t believe that word can have more than one meaning.

One word, two usages: We pray to God - here the word pray can mean to honor Him. We also pray to Mary and the Saints. Here, the word “pray” has a different meaning. It means ‘to ask’. We are asking Mary to intercede for us. One word, two meanings. Just like the word ‘bless’.

Worth a shot?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:

2645 Because God blesses the human heart, it can in return bless him who is the source of every blessing.

Pax Christi nobiscum.

John Hiner

The second meaning is preserved in the archaic “I pray thee” or “I prithee.” Just means “I ask you earnestly.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.