I Blew it -- with BJU grad

OK. My story is that we have adopted two sons that both turned out to be bi-racial. My older son is much darker than the younger one. We were at Olive Garden tonight and this guy was talking about sending his daughter to BJU.

I chirped up with “Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t send my son there, now could I?”

I was told that the “school had changed and that there black people there now” I asked if they were staff or for comic relief.

He asked me where I got my information – I said remembered a student manual that stated there could be dating across the races.

I was again informed that this wasn’t the case. So, I beligerantly continued, “So now my son has soul and the dignity that God gives to all His children?” The man laughed and patted my son’s shoulder and said “We them all now.”

I was glad my husband was sitting a distance from me – he would have been mortified, I managed to not say anything rude after he patronized my seven year old – who was totally ingoring our discussion.

Anyway, I know I didn’t do anything positive for the faith or put that bigot in his place, but I wish I had. Mea culpa! Mea maxima culpa!

Where is BJU?

Bob Jones University bju.edu/Greenville, SC –

They are just might anti-Catholic.

I just read over the whole thing figuring it said BYU. Go figure!

[quote=Pug]I just read over the whole thing figuring it said BYU. Go figure!
[/quote]

I’ve heard that Mormons have had surprisingly little objection to inter-racial marriage, as long as both persons are Mormon.

Wait. I thought BJU didn’t mind other races, just interracial dating. I don’t know if they would oppose to people, though (not that this will be an issue for you or anything). Also, “We them all now”? :confused: Whaaaat? :confused:

I dont get the story one bit. Also I went to the bju link and there was a black graduate right on the home page, so I dont know where this racial stuff is coming from.

[quote=Catholic Dude]I dont get the story one bit. Also I went to the bju link and there was a black graduate right on the home page, so I dont know where this racial stuff is coming from.
[/quote]

I hope it wasn’t Clarence Thomas, was it?:smiley:

why do I get the feeling, when reading and re-reading your post, that you went out angling for a fight?

I am not so sure that he was bigoted, but I do get the feeling that you are using reverse prejudice…

[quote=Ahimsa]I’ve heard that Mormons have had surprisingly little objection to inter-racial marriage, as long as both persons are Mormon.
[/quote]

This could indeed be true. I do not know.

I do recall something about dark skinned people perhaps not being eligible for the priesthood in times past, but that the rule had changed. Since the post mentioned race and some type of change in policy, nothing really told me that I had read the acronym incorrectly. I just figured lack of knowledge on my part.

[quote=Ahimsa]I’ve heard that Mormons have had surprisingly little objection to inter-racial marriage, as long as both persons are Mormon.
[/quote]

That wasn’t the case ~30 years ago, and I seriously doubt that’s the case with the majority today. Mormon theology used to teach that blacks “of satan”.

[quote=Semper Fi]That wasn’t the case ~30 years ago, and I seriously doubt that’s the case with the majority today. Mormon theology used to teach that blacks “of satan”.
[/quote]

…which is interesting, since Joseph Smith Jr. himself ordained at least 2 Blacks to the priesthood. It wasn’t until Brigham Young (ancestor of SF 49’er quarterback Steve Young) that the ban on Blacks in the priesthood was constructed.

[quote=Ahimsa]I hope it wasn’t Clarence Thomas, was it?:smiley:
[/quote]

http://www.bju.edu/images/features/students_21.jpg

Actually I take that back
"without apology for the old time religion"
can mean bad things depending on the denomination.

OK, so I know BJU is very anti-Catholic.

It seems that the link where I read that interracial dating is forbidden came from somewhere on CA – but I might be mistaken.

Forgive me mis-typing the man said “We love them (patting my son on the shoulder) all now.” It seemed just so fake.

Yes, they do put a picture of a single black guy on the home page, but the interracial dating and I could have sworn that there were teachings about colered people were not of God – Satanic or at least on the level of animals in not having immortal souls. I limked to their home page so as to show where they were located.

I did see red when I heard the guy mention BJU. That is my mea culpa. The page with the residential requirements says that one can’t have “contmeporary Christian music” but as long as one checks their firearms with the appropriate staff members – or have a lock for pistol triggers, that is OK.

I am white, but I do not like it when I think my kids are looked down on. Reverse discrimination, maybe. That BJU has *changed *is maybe true, but you see many white couples on the ads and all blacks are shown singly. Hmm… He can study here, but he better not date?

**On most “race” sections of forms – since many still only allow one race, I check “other” and write in Human. It started with my son – but now I do it for any of us – two whitie and two racially diverse testosterone Americans. **

Considering BJU isn’t even an accredited university (meaning their degrees are essentially useless except among many Protestant evangelicals maybe), I wouldn’t give any credance to what any of their graduates have to say.

Whoever it was in our nation’s past that first decided people of a certain color should be seperated and treated differently than people of other color has left us a legacy that has wrought enormous death and destruction among all the people of this country. God’s punishment it seems for “the children down to the 3rd and 4th generation of those who hate me”

“Race” is ultimately a meaningless term that can change over time. Differences between skin color, hair color and facial features mean no more between groups of people than between individual families. There is evidence to suggest that populations are healthier if they intermarry widely rather than only within their own small group.

But, ingrained prejudice dies hard. No faith is completely free from it. I would like to think the Catholic Church has done better than others but there is no question we all need to improve on it.

You fight a battle that must be fought for the good of our country. Good luck.

-Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I do agree that Catholics to some extent are more universal – I woulnd’t have been surprised if Cardinal Arinze had been elected as Pope.

Just try the “human” choice on those forms. I figure that I am driving the pencil pushers crazy.

[quote=Mamamull]We were at Olive Garden tonight and this guy was talking about sending his daughter to BJU.
[/quote]

NO true Christian (Catholic, mainline protestant, Orthodox, or evangelical) could send their child to that horrible place. I guess there’s a market for bigotry majors.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.