I briefly

I briefly raised my voice at my father is it mortal sin. i said to him while he started talking to me about soccer. I was not in the mood and said i dont want to know. he continued talking and i got up out of my seat and said it with a raised voice.

i was to busy thinking if i commited another sin earlier so is this one mortal.

You may want to examine your attitude toward your father that indicates that you would even consider doing that.

Remember the things that make up mortal sin: Serious matter (this is), sufficient reflection (this might reduce it to venial sin for you, but that’s your call), and full consent of the will (not an accident. You KNEW it was wrong, but did it anyway, because you wanted to do it.).

Safest thing is to just go to Confession and confess it. Don’t need to label it. You still get forgiveness in Confession whether it was mortal or venial. Better to be safe than sorry. As one priest told me once, “If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck…then it’s probably a duck.” Don’t try to Mickey Mouse around yoru sins. Just confess 'em and try to do better. :slight_smile:

Is it? I would have thought not. It’s not like the OP was abusive, just said he didn’t want to know about soccer. It was a failure of patience and respect, but I would have said that it was not grave matter myself. I’m not an expert, though.

–Jen

I hear you. But the 4th commandment says that we are to “honor” our father and mother. What he did was the opposite. The meaning of “honor” here includes respecting our father and mother. And I think you’re right, that it was a momentary thing, which may mitigate his culpability with regard to it being a mortal sin. But there is a deeper problem here in that he would even consider or allow himself to do that to his father. THAT I think is where the rubber meets the road for him. He needs to ask himself if he really does honor, respect, and obey his parents. If not, he needs to repent and straighten out. We live in a very rebellious society with all the abortion, same-sex marriage, shacking up, birth control, euthanasia, and anti-Catholicism in the media and Hollywood. The moral decline of a nation almost always precedes its destruction. And that’s exactly where we are in our country.

You honestly believe that your all loving God would condemn a man to hell for all of eternity because…he raised his voice at his father?

If entry into heaven were that strict…who could get there?

Depends on whether he was committing a mortal sin by doing so. (Review criteria for a mortal sin: serious matter (raising one’s voice to one’s father is. 4th Commandment), sufficient reflection (know it’s wrong, considered doing it anyway), and full consent of the will (nobody force or coerced you in doing so. You knew it was serious matter, knew you would commit a mortal sin by doing so, and chose to do it anyway).

It only takes one mortal sin, unrepented, to go to hell. Just one. Why? Because mortal sin kills divine life in our soul. If we die in that state, it’s permanent.

That’s Catholic doctrine. All Catholics are required to give 100% religious assent to all Catholic teaching.

i think i’m going to go. i find pieace when i go. i’m not at pieace when i dont go.

i have a couple of other thing to confess but can not really discern if they are sin or no sin, grave or not grave.

Wouldn’t all of this constant worrying about going to hell because one raised their voice at their father…cause unnecessary and unhelpful anxiety ( scrupulosity)?

The proper term isn’t scrupulosity, but conscious. The problem these days is that most folks, including young folks, haven’t developed a proper conscience.

Scrupulosity comes into play when you have an unwarranted, unfounded fear that you have sinned, not when you did something that may indeed be sinful.

He seems to think that he did commit a sin of some sort. The question is whether it was mortal or venial. This wouldn’t qualify as scrupulosity.

The safe thing to do is confess it and let his confessor absolve him of it. Then it’s a done deal. Plus, he gets extra graces to help him overcome that temptation the next time.

The late Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen used to say that the worse thing in the world isn’t sin, but the denial of sin. Because if we deny that we have sinned, what need do we have of a Savior?

Perhaps you would enjoy listening to a free talk by Bishop Sheen on the Denial of Sin? :slight_smile:

alabamacatholicresources.com/Downloads/The_Denial_of_Sin.mp3

No, it wasn’t a mortal sin, in my opinion. The fact that you asked means that you weren’t sure. If you weren’t sure, then it wasn’t mortal.

And the fact that you asked in an Internet forum does seem to indicate some degree of scrupulosity.

Raising one’s voice at their parents (especially out of anger) would most likely not classify as grave matter, unless it would cause damage to the family, be seriously against the 4th Commandment (such as refusing to speak at all to one’s parents), etc.

Simply breaking one of the commandments does not necessarily mean one has committed grave matter…for almost every sin can someway be traced back to the Commandments…and there is something known as “parvity of matter.”

Also, what the OP described doesn’t sound like mortal sin even if it was grave matter, b/c he doesn’t sound like he was thinking straight…although this is something the OP must discern…

Wait, this post is from 5 years ago. Oops… although what I’ve posted might help somebody in the future.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.