I cannot accept the assertion about "spiritual battle"

Dear all

I bet most of you should have heard the phrase “spiritual battle” or “spiritual war”. My question is, does a Catholic have to so emphasise this battle between God’s angels and Satan all the time?

I read some articles on the internet. There are many people, including protestants and Catholics, who emphasis that we “should be equipped” for the battle with Satan all the time because the devil is always seducing us to do some bad things. I do feel confused with this kind of assertion.

The main reason I cannot go to a Protestant’s church is because they exaggeratedly claim the power of the Holy Spirit. E.g. with the Holy Spirit, one’s illness can be cured, and devil inside one’s body will be expelled.

I personally is not convinced of so many “miracles” happening around us (even though I know the Lord has the overall power to do everything .) I am happy in the Catholic Church because I feel the inner peace in the Church. These “stories”, about the the patients cured by Holy Spirit and the fighting with the devil, are very very DISTURBING to me.

I don’t know why I am so not happy with these miraculous stories. Am I too narrow-minded? Or is it because I just expect too much? The only thing I care about in a Catholic Church is not the healing ability or the battle with the devil. I am just feeling so comfortable under the arms of the Mother Virgin Mary…

I think you sound fine. Don’t worry about it. If you are worried, find out more. I would suggest you read something like Truth & Tolerance by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

We are living between the proclamation of the Kingdom of God and it’s full and final establishment. Satan and his minions, out of hatred and spite, wish to pull as many souls away from the Kingdom of God as they can, since the only battleground they have left is over each human soul on earth.

[quote=yuslee] I read some articles on the internet. There are many people, including protestants and Catholics, who emphasis that we “should be equipped” for the battle with Satan all the time because the devil is always seducing us to do some bad things. I do feel confused with this kind of assertion.
[/quote]

This is not a concept invented out of thin air by some protestants and Catholics. St. Paul made the assertion that we should always be equipped for battle:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (Ephesians 6:10-18)

[quote=yuslee]The main reason I cannot go to a Protestant’s church is because they exaggeratedly claim the power of the Holy Spirit. E.g. with the Holy Spirit, one’s illness can be cured, and devil inside one’s body will be expelled.

I personally is not convinced of so many “miracles” happening around us (even though I know the Lord has the overall power to do everything .) I am happy in the Catholic Church because I feel the inner peace in the Church. These “stories”, about the the patients cured by Holy Spirit and the fighting with the devil, are very very DISTURBING to me.

I don’t know why I am so not happy with these miraculous stories. Am I too narrow-minded? Or is it because I just expect too much? The only thing I care about in a Catholic Church is not the healing ability or the battle with the devil. I am just feeling so comfortable under the arms of the Mother Virgin Mary…
[/quote]

What? “Exaggeratedly claim the power of the Holy Spirit?” I think your concept of God is way too small. Go back and read the Gospels and see how many times Jesus healed the sick and cast out demons.

The main reason I won’t go to a protestant church is because they don’t have the Eucharist, not because they believe in healing. We should pray and have faith, too - doing so is not just a “protestant thing.”

Because of the Eucharist, we have access to healing through direct contact with Jesus -body, blood, soul, and divinity - that protestants are missing out on.

To Beckycmarie

I do appreciate your reply. However, can you please kindly answer one more question for me?

You should have heard Benny Hinn or Reinhard Bonnke. These people have the power to cure sick people!! Do you think they can do so because the Holy Spirit is working with them? Or are they just false prophets?

In my previous post, I said I acknowledge the power of the Holy Spirit. But is the power of the Holy Spirit equal to the power of Benny Hinn???

My point is, there are too many people in Protestants’ Churches claim the “power” and it makes me not able to identify whether they are telling lies…You should know one has to pay if he wants to be touched by Benny Hinn.

Hello friend.
The first thing I have to say about spiritual warfare is that it’s TRUE.
Scripture does tell us to be ready for battle, and if you entrust yourself to the Virgin Mary, she will protect you.

Did Benny Hinn “heal” the majority of people who came to him or were they plants like in a magic show?,Just wondering:rolleyes:

I don’t know about Reinhard Bonnke. I’ve attended a Benny Hinn crusade, and watched a number of episodes of his tv show.
He explicitly states that he has no power at all. Any healings are done b y the Holy Spirit.

I think the point is, the Holy Spirit doesn’t heal everybody at this time. Sure, Jesus cured many, but even He didn’t heal all. Remember the pool of Bathesthda (sp?)? He healed only one person. Leaving many behind.

As far as Benny Henn goes, he seems to think that if you’re not healed, then it means you doubted the power of the Holy Spirit.

God will heal all, but on His timetable. So the “name it and claim it” groups are quite a bit out of line with scripture. Why do I say this? Because “No” is an answer to prayer as much as “Yes” is.

Yes, that is why I personally cannot quite agree with Benny Hinn.

“He claimed he has no power at all, and any healings are done by the Holy Spirit.”

Then why is he so powerful that he can summon the Holy Spirit to cure the audiences who bought the tickets to watch his show.

If we truly believe in the Holy Spirit, I am sure we don’t have to ask Benny Hinn to make Holy Spirit wook on us. We can just pray in the mass and the Holy Spirit will be with us.

That is why I believe in Holy Spirit, but I cannot agree with the ones who are selling the power of the Holy Spirit.

I haven’t really watched either Benny Hinn or Reinhard Bonnke. I think I saw Benny Hinn once on tv “speaking in tongues.” But if there is any healing going on, THEY are not doing the healing, the Holy Spirit is in response to the person’s prayers.

One way to determine if someone has the gift of healing, or any other extraordinary gift of the Holy Spirit, is to observie their humility (or lack thereof). If a person is on TV, loudly telling all the world they are a healer (and profiting financially from it) I’d tend to doubt they actually have the gift.

The bible talks about “putting on the full armour of God”

So, according to the bible it sounds like battle started a long time ago. Maybe with St. Steven

Acts 3:5-7 (New American Standard Bible)

5And he began to give them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. 

6But Peter said, "I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene–walk!"
7And seizing him by the right hand, he raised him up; and immediately his feet and his ankles were strengthened.

biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=3&verse=5&end_verse=7&version=49&context=context

Was Peter “summoning” the Holy Spirit?
Did he claim to have more power than the Holy Spirit?
Or was it that the Holy Spirit was with him because he had been chosen for this?

**Hebrews 13:8 (New American Standard Bible)
** 8(A)Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=65&chapter=13&verse=8&version=49&context=verse

What was true then is true now. He gives power to His faithful, and appoints those He chooses to serve in various ways.

I believe He has given to Benny Hinn, power to evangelize and to heal.
Even if He has not - if Hinn is a fraud - the fact that he claims to heal is not itself evidence against him, in my opinion.

If Hinn is a fraud, he needs to be exposed as one. I believe that that has happened already. I know that “Dateline” may not be considered supportive of the Church, but I believe that when they reported on him (twice), they were telling the truth. How much money is he making, and where is it going?

I doubt that he has actually healed anyone. He is a false prophet, and those who follow him are doing so to their own destruction. So what if he claims to speak in tongues. So what if he claims to heal. It’s all for show, and nothing else.

There are people who can preform signs and wonders who are not sent by God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.