I cannot do the 5 first saturdays. I am going to hell.

I’ve been trying to do the five first Saturdays, so I can get the grace of final perseverance.

EVERY TIME I make a mistake. All this year. For example this month around I forgot the 15 minutes to spend time with Mary.

It is clear I cannot do this right, I’ll never get the grace of final perseverance. So I’m going to hell. God has rejected me. He does not want me because I cannot overcome this imperfection, no matter how much grace he is giving me. I’m just too worthless.

Because I cannot be perfect, I cannot be saved, I cannot stop being punished by God with unemployment and other sufferings because of all my imperfections, so God has rejected me and I have been so horrible, that I am not wanted by God.

I wish I could be temporally loved by God. But that won’t happen. I’m doomed. The message is loud and clear, God’s grace is water flooding me and I’m dry as a bone, with it unable to wash me clean or even get wet.

I’m weeping now. I hate being alive, life is just a cruel joke. There is no purpose to life except suffering. The cross is all there is. Nothing else.

Bob, slow down and know that He is. Deep breath. Out. Relax. Try repeating the Hail Mary over and over. Not the Rosary, where you have to count or focus on mysteries. Just the prayer. Our Lady will help you and give you calm.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women and
Blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

He is what?

God won’t talk to me and I don’t know who to talk to about this. I need a mystic, since God doesn’t want to talk to me. Then again maybe I don’t need a mystic. If God doesn’t want to talk to me, what makes me think he will tell someone else something he won’t tell me personally?

Pull yourself out of yourself, find a homeless guy on the street, hug him, and give him a five-dollar bill.

Say two “Hail Marys”, calm the flip down, and go talk to your priest in the morning.

Legions of people here have tried to talk to you to no avail, and these sorts of posts are getting to be absolutely silly. The Internet is not your place to heal. Go talk to your priest.

And ***Chill Out. ***

You’re right. Who am I to reach out to Catholics for help? It is not God’s will anyway. Nobody can help me, so I’m doomed. Sorry for being so worthless. I’ll be leaving now.

Dear Bob you are not worthless no-one is worthless. We each are precious to Our Lord.

I think friends have tried to help you to see things from a different perspective.

I don’t know why you would think you are going to hell if you do not spend time with Mary or don’t pray in a certain way etc.

God knows you and your most inner thoughts…as of all of us. We cannot hide who we are from God…we just are us.
God loves you He loves all of us. When we do wrong or make a mistake if we are sincere of heart and try to overcome our failings of course God will loves us still and forgive us.

I like the idea of helping a homeless guy.

Often when I have huge worries that are happening in my life I try to help others. I visit the prayer intentions page and read all the needs and worries of others and it often helps me put into perspective my own worries. We have people literally fighting for their lives with terminal illness such a s cancer, who are worried for their child’s life or have indeed lost their child or loved one and are grieving and many more heart breaking scenarios.

I have been through a great deal myself this past couple of years. I place all my trust in Our Lord that He will calm me help me to cope with all the worry that His will be done.

Just remember God loves you and I pray for you every day my friend

God bless you

Think: since you can not do it, what does this mean? Does it mean that you are going to Hell because you can not work your way in to Heaven? No one can. Not even the greatest saint ever to have lived, not even the Blessed Virgin, came even a “drop in the bucket’s worth” towards meriting salvation through their works, “for all have…come short of the glory of God.”

Or does it mean that God in his Providence is trying to tell you to trust in him and his covenant and promises for your salvation, since he has given us “only one name under heaven by which men might be saved, the name of Jesus”, “the way, the truth, the life”, “at [which] name every knee shall bow to the glory of God the Father.”

No man is great enough to work his way in to Heaven, and God is not so small than he can not save them.

The Five First Saturdays is a “devotion”------ participation in it or belief in it are not required for salvation. There are many, many Catholics who do not choose to participate; they nor you are doomed to hell.

I suggest you read the Gospels, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) and speak to a priest about the concerns you have regarding your salvation.

Peace to you.

Bob, nobody said that. The fact that you’re seeing people’s advice that way shows that they’re right - you need to take some deep breaths and make an appointment to see your priest.

As the poster above said, the First Saturdays are a devotion. That’s all. NOT required for salvation.

Trust me, if you love jesus, and knew that he died for your sins (there were many), you’ll evade hell.

Dear friend…What can we say to such a post? We are so limited here… We cannot reach out to you, we cannot hold you, we cannot wipe your tears, even our advice must be limited by the very limited nature of the internet.

As others have said, you really need to speak to your priest. These issues are not things that can be easily or quickly overcome. There is no magic word or devotion that will instantly and completely change your feelings or outlook.

I’m sitting here right now and thinking…Yes Bob has his problems…But Bob is not alone…I have a wife with advanced stage Alzheimer’s. My sister is in the hospital with a stoke. My granddaughter just had my first great grand child and I cannot get out of the house to even go to mass on Sunday…I’ve got a mess-up shoulder, a very limited income, my prayer life is a shambles because I can’t even concentrate long enough to get though even short prayers. I often lay at night and think about my own mortality and how little good I’ve done in my life. Yes - I’m a mess.
Given all of this I would not even ATTEMPT to try something like 5 first Saturdays. Heck I fail most of the time when I try to pray a rosary…

If I were a betting man - I would bet that every person on this board could describe their own life, or portions of their lives, in similar terms. Feeling lost, feeling alone, feeling without consolation from God, feeling “unloved”, feeling taken advantage of by others…the list could go on…

So when you receive input from others, it isn’t like you are the only one with troubles…and those advising you have none…we ALL stumble under our crosses time and again.

So the best advice - and the advice that you will find repeated over and over to you, and any who find themselves trapped in despair, is to seek out a good priest and / or spiritual adviser. Take things slow and be guided by this person. Consider that there might be medical issues that need to be addressed.
But most of all keep Christ’s words to the Apostles. “For man it is impossible but with God all things are possible”.

Heaven or hell are not about “keeping the law”…or any personal devotion for that matter. It’s about Love…Love God and Love neighbor as yourself.
Someone above said, to get outside yourself. This is good advice. Go and volunteer where you can help the poor the struggling. Someplace where you can show God’s Love to others. This, along with good, one on one, spiritual advice will go a long way toward making your cross lighter.

Peace
James

Bob, please speak to a priest regularly about your despairing thoughts. God created you and He loves you - He does not want you to give in to despair.

I think you are suffering from scruples, As all the Forum members said the First Saturdays are a devotion just like the Rosary is, maybe go to visit a Hospital and see all the children with cancer, brain damage etc, and adults who are confined to bed indefinitely, with legs etc amputated, this might put things in the light of “How lucky and thankful to God that I can walk out of the Hospital the others cannot” thank God for your health and make an appointment to see a priest about your worries and whatever he says take on board as if Our Lord was standing in front of you giving you this instruction, its only by listening to the Lord will you stop having this notions of hell, the Lord knows we do our best, its not by prayers alone but also by works, bring your Bible to read in front of the Blessed Sacrament and read it , and dwell on some of the passages that you have read during the day, even if you forget to dwell on the passages your not going to hell, where do these ideas of yours come from, Catholic Church is Cheerful in Christ, not gloomy like some gloomy , sad faced,
dour, of some Protestant sects , we believe in the Risen Christ, Cheer up, I am sure most of the Forum members including myself have gone through very very hard times, but we know its a test sometimes the Lord gives us to see which way we will jump, do you think you are jumping in the right direction- no- Trust in the Lord- only someone who believes in Satan, practise Witchcraft, does not want to be with God, or a mass murdered say like Stalin, Hitler, etc who never repented and thought they were right well who knows where the Lord sent them, it is not for us to know, HE knows our mind, Our hearts, do you tell the Lord during the day that you Love Him and want to do your best, it might fall short, but its your best and that is what counts.

Keep a peaceful mind, Trust in the Lord, Seek a priest to talk to, and obey what he says. Look at the Apostles, stoned, imprisoned, starved of food, mocked, spat at, chained, and eventually died a very cruel death, DID THEY GIVE UP - NO. They trusted in the Lord.:signofcross:

First off, I’ll sound like a broken record here, but he’s right. The Five First Saturdays is a devotion. It’s not required for salvation. You are NOT going to Hell just because you couldn’t get to Mass every first Saturday for five months in a row.

Also, if I may add to the list of suggested reading, take a look at Job.

Finally, to answer an earlier question you had, God IS. Full stop. God is the Great I AM. He is the very act of existence.

Hey, don’t feel too bad. I’ve never even heard of this first five saturdays thing until I read your post!

Reach out - but then listen!

What Lochias is telling you IS help.

You won’t go to hell because you don’t complete the 5 Saturdays.

Go see a very mature, calm and wise priest, however, you may need more professional mental health help too.

Some good news. If you start again in October you’ll be done by the first week of February.

Or just carry the green scapular of Mary and each day say “Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for us now and at the hour of our death” with trust in her. She said that those who do that will die a peaceful death.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

The First Saturday’s thing is an optional devotion. Simply go mass weekly and confession at least once a year, and be at peace.

Nobody is perfect, nor could be. Only God is perfect. In this life, we are only to be as good as we can, and do our best. We are called to strive for perfection, not to reach it.

Just because you make mistakes does not mean that you are going to hell. You seem to be very scrupulous. I suggest you start counseling with a priest to work through your struggles in faith.

Just do your best, you do not need to be perfect.

I myself and not perfect, but I take confidence in my Lord, that if I do my best, he will strengthen me.

Remember. Hunger for the Lord is also very purifying.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.