I cant stay at home & want to!

Its been 15 months since I returned to work after maternity leave. Ive been through every emotion about whether to work or not.

Its not like I have a choice really (I really do have to work). Our finances are tight with both of us working, I cant imagine trying to make it on one income. Ive done the numbers over & over. We dont have extra’s (cell phone is turned off / we have one car pymt) Ive done the figures & I only bring home $300 a month after daycare/car pymt, gas & ins) & we need that for groceries or bills.

Anyway, sometimes Im so ready to quit work, stay home & hope we dont lose everything.

I have so many fears.

What if we cant make it on one income?

Has anyone else taken the LEAP from career to SAH parenting?

Kate, is there anything at all you can do out of your home that would bring in the extra money? a paper route? take in typing for local students (I guess that doesn’t happen anymore what with computers - forget I said that!) or anything?

Funny you mention that - I signed up for a rather expensive study at home course & didnt finish it. After I received the materials, I figured out it wasnt something I liked. My friend recomended selling cosmetics, but I hate sales! ( I dont want to mention companies - but you know the ones)

I know there are all kinds of things out there for SAH parents to do from home, but Ive looked into a bunch of them & they arent for me.

Check out www.drlaura.com. She’s got a section (left side, four down) called “Stay at Home” with a lot of good reading on the matter.

Good luck to you.

Our county school system hires men and women w/ bachelors degrees (or higher) to home teach kids who are physically or emotionally unable to be in school. Here it’s $25/ hour and usually 6 hours per week - plus mileage. Most public school systems have something similar, though the requirements could vary. —KCT

How about working part time (a couple of weekends and Saturdays). A friend of mine manages a bridal wear shop, and she hired someone just to work 2 evenings and Saturdays every week - they pay hourly plus commissions.

Another friend of mine went to work cleaning offices. This can be done in off hours as well - she also does some work for condo’s during vacation season, cleaning after the renters leave.

Think outside of the box…

In-home child care in my area average cost is $100 per week per child. If you took in just one child you would be further ahead than you are now.

I really hope you are able to stay home with your child. Where there is a will there is a way.

Thinking outside the box is a good thing. It seems that most of your salary is getting sucked up by daycare. Can you work alternate times from your hubby so he can watch baby? I know you hate sales, but lots of stores are looking for seasonal help right now - maybe you can make as much part time as full when you don’t have to pay daycare? Best of luck to you!

i garage sale and look for stuff to sell on ebay

i also teach childbirth classes but it takes money down first to get trained and buy materials

You can also try the Catholic Company www.catholiccompany.com.

You don’t really need to be a salesperson to sell books - they typically sell themselves (plus you get the benefit of reading all the books!). You can work fairs, they give you a website to work from, work nights, after Church functions, etc.

I know that it’s hard to make ends meet when you are starting to raise a family, but I also feel that it is important to be part of your child’s young life. My wife started a family day care a few years ago as a way to be a part of our grandchildren’s lives, and it worked out well. For a relatively small investment, you can open up a family daycare, be a part of your child’s life, and monitor your child’s playmates as well. You also stand a chance to make a good weekly wage, also.

[quote=ProudArmyWife]You can also try the Catholic Company www.catholiccompany.com.

You don’t really need to be a salesperson to sell books - they typically sell themselves (plus you get the benefit of reading all the books!). You can work fairs, they give you a website to work from, work nights, after Church functions, etc.
[/quote]

ooh i might have to try that:)

[quote=katesmom]Its been 15 months since I returned to work after maternity leave. Ive been through every emotion about whether to work or not.

Its not like I have a choice really (I really do have to work). Our finances are tight with both of us working, I cant imagine trying to make it on one income. Ive done the numbers over & over. We dont have extra’s (cell phone is turned off / we have one car pymt) Ive done the figures & I only bring home $300 a month after daycare/car pymt, gas & ins) & we need that for groceries or bills.

Anyway, sometimes Im so ready to quit work, stay home & hope we dont lose everything.

I have so many fears.

What if we cant make it on one income?

Has anyone else taken the LEAP from career to SAH parenting?
[/quote]

If you only make $300.00 a month after daycare, etc. something is wrong. I’m sure you can find work from home that would give you $300 or better. Perhaps you can get a website and sell something, or make something to sell - jewelry? soap? candles? A friend of mine started making soap in her basement, now she’s got a little shop and its going well. You can also sell on Ebay, plenty of folks make additional income selling on Ebay.

75.00 a week is less than 2.00 an hour! You could work the evenings somewhere while hubby watches baby and do better than that, and have time at home with your daughter. Go for it!

When doing your figures, did you think about Uncle Sam’s cut? Usually having two incomes puts people into the higher bracket which means more money out of your hubby’s check too! Other items usually forgotten in calculations is extra clothing (laundering and extra amounts for everyone because of the time between laundering), gasoline to drive, extra convience foods for those days neither wants to cook this includes extra take out too(even McDonalds and pizza get expensive after awhile).

You are feeling very conflicted because you really want to be at home. You can find something to bring in a little more money if you really want to. Pray and God will lead you to it!

The home daycare thing is great because it also gives your baby someone to play with. No-one will love and care for your child better than you! And there are always somone looking for other child care. My sister told me her neighbor just hired a nanny to watch her child while she works, she is paying $30,000 cash. Many people would preffer the individualness of a home centered childcare, and it does not have to be too stressing if it is just one or two children. Plus it will teach you very quickly how to handle two or more children when out of the home.

As for the selling, I know what you mean. Cosmetics? Being a military wife, I have had my share of the party circuit. There is Pampered Chef (food and cooking stuff), Party Lite Candles, Tupperware, Longaberger baskets (way too expensive! I did this to distract me from my miscarry. I later sold off my stock on ebay for $2000+), Discovery Toys (great educational toys especially for birth to 7 years old), Usbourne Books (love these!), Creative Memories (scrap booking) and there is even lingere (it is pretty tacky though!). The problem with the selling party circut is making sure you are making more than what you are putting into it. Atleast with the Discovery Toys or the Usbourne books you will be needing them for your own child, and with Pampered chef, you have to eat. The bonus is the own business issue, so you can plan around your own schedule.

Remember even Ms. Fields started in her own kitchen. There are many craft fair places you can sell your wares. Maybe you are great at making gift baskets, sewing, or canning things. You can sell via the web, ebay, craft fairs, word of mouth, etc. I had a girl in one of my neighborhoods who would sew personalised baby blankets and make valances, since we are a communter family, people where always moving into the neighborhood and nneding these things.

My GF works in a small beauty salon two days a week just to answer phones and make appointments. You could clean houses or offices. Maybe you could get a job with a book company to review books? You could tutor children in school if you have a specialty in some area, even HSers if you find a local group and get the word out. My neighbor teaches piano out of her living room and has the young lady down the street keep an eye on her children for the time the students are there.

Good Luck and Ask God for guidance!

Ummm…when I realized I couldn’t leave my baby at daycare, my husband stepped up and changed his career path. The transition was rocky, and I had to go back to work eventually, but the time I spent with my children while they were young was worth every sacrifice!

There are books addressing ways to make ends meet. Check the library. There was a couple featured on one of the news magazine shows who managed well enough to have another child on one income. It requires commitment and adjustment. It can be done, and maybe you will be surprised at what can happen.

There will always be jobs to find, but your children are yours for only an instant!

Go for it! Check out all these wonderful options people have offerered here. There are some good ideas here. $300 a month would not be hard to make. Another idea is to check with some temp/staffing agencies. I worked for one while in college taking phone calls for a catolog company at night… It was about $12/hr then (10 years ago).

I also worked for a bit after my 1st was born and it is my biggest regret. I know those feelings! And it certainly doesn’t feel worth it for $300/ month, does it?

God bless you in your endeavor! :slight_smile:

I am curious…what does your husband do?

~ Kathy ~

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.