I COULD be called

Guys,

I feel like I’m being called to the religious life…and I’m not even confirmed Catholic! How is this possible?

Paris, are you male or female?

Say, some nonCatholics think God has called them and they are not confirmed.

Ask your self,":WHAT CAN I DO RIGHT NOW"?

[quote=Exporter]Paris, are you male or female?

Say, some nonCatholics think God has called them and they are not confirmed.

Ask your self,":WHAT CAN I DO RIGHT NOW"?
[/quote]

Female. What do you mean ask what can I do right now? You mean, what should I be doing about it? Is that what you mean?

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

I feel like I’m being called to the religious life…and I’m not even confirmed Catholic! How is this possible?
[/quote]

Well, unless you are getting old, which I doubt, you have plenty of time to explore that possibility.

The first thing you should do pray. The 2nd is be reconciled with the Church if you are a baptized Christian and become fully Catholic. And then, if you still feel called to the religious life, practice your Catholic faith for a year or two before approaching your priest. He will take your interest more seriously then. :wink:

[quote=Della]Well, unless you are getting old, which I doubt, you have plenty of time to explore that possibility.

The first thing you should do pray. The 2nd is be reconciled with the Church if you are a baptized Christian and become fully Catholic. And then, if you still feel called to the religious life, practice your Catholic faith for a year or two before approaching your priest. He will take your interest more seriously then. :wink:
[/quote]

LOL!!! Sis, I’m only 21! Thanks for your advice. I’ll try to remember that!:smiley:

You can also go to www.vocations.com for more information.

Paris, I’ve read your posts, and I think you are running before you can walk. This is all so new to you, and very exciting. Vocation is an important step in one’s life, and it would be prudent to take your time. It may very well be your calling, but give it time, and continue to learn and pray. God Bless you.

[quote=Paris Blues]LOL!!! Sis, I’m only 21! Thanks for your advice. I’ll try to remember that!:smiley:
[/quote]

Paris Blues:

If you’re not a Catholic, that can be remedied by approaching your parish priest and requesting to be accepted into the church. He’ll probably make you do RCIA or something like that, so figure on anywhere from 3 months to a year of instruction.

If you’re already a Catholic, approach you priest about being confirmed. That will probably also involve a period of instruction for 3-6 months or so.

Now, in either case, the priest should ask you some questions to get an idea of what your understanding of the faith is, so he can figure out how much insruction YOU really need.

At the same time, you might also want to get involved in the life of a parish, or if one is near to you, a religious community, if they’ll let you.

One thing about Catholic Answers - There are a few priests and religious on the Board, so this is a good place to get to know a couple of them.

I hope this helps.

Blessings and Peace, Michael

[quote=Traditional Ang]Paris Blues:

If you’re not a Catholic, that can be remedied by approaching your parish priest and requesting to be accepted into the church. He’ll probably make you do RCIA or something like that, so figure on anywhere from 3 months to a year of instruction.

If you’re already a Catholic, approach you priest about being confirmed. That will probably also involve a period of instruction for 3-6 months or so.

Now, in either case, the priest should ask you some questions to get an idea of what your understanding of the faith is, so he can figure out how much insruction YOU really need.

At the same time, you might also want to get involved in the life of a parish, or if one is near to you, a religious community, if they’ll let you.

One thing about Catholic Answers - There are a few priests and religious on the Board, so this is a good place to get to know a couple of them.

I hope this helps.

Blessings and Peace, Michael
[/quote]

Paris,

Trad. gives very good advice!
I wouldn’t worry too much about feeling called to the religious life and not being confirmed Catholic- many religious were not catholic when they felt called and after becoming catholic, they entered the religious life.
Follow Trad’s advice and remember, if God is calling you- he will definatly prepare you and take you to where He wants you to be, if you offer Him yourself.
“He has begun a good work in you” and He will see it through.
You are in my prayers.

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

[/quote]

I thought you came into the Church this past Easter?

Hello…

The forums at www.phatmass.com have youngsters :wink: such as you and some of them are in the process of entering religious life. Might want to check those out…

Paris - I like much of the advice you have already been given, especially the parts about praying, taking your time, and talking with a priest or religious. It is also obvious to me that one need not be a confirmed Catholic to be called to the religious life: St. Paul certainly wasn’t confirmed when he was called! May God bless you and bring you into His Church!

Chuck

Dear Paris Blues,

I am a convert (just this past Easter '05), and I know how it is to feel called to religious life while still a Protestant. I struggled with the idea for years since I could not understand my calling from the Protestant mindset (ie. they don’t have nuns or sisters).

I know for sure now that this is the vocation I want to pursue. God has given me many confirmations of this. You may have times of doubt as I did, but just keep praying for Truth from God and sure knowledge of His direction. He will not fail you. He loves you too much to hide his plan from you… He wants the best for your life.

Check out these great sites for more information on religious life:

religiouslife.com/
cmswr.org/
cloisters.tripod.com/

May God bless you on your journey.
Lily628

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.