I could really use some advise and prayers

A couple of months ago I went to my first Latin Mass at a parish operated by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter and absolutely loved it! I took my wife a few weeks later and she also liked it. We loved the communion rails, the sacredness of the liturgy, the music and almost everything about it. We even started learning Latin, which has been a lot of fun for us. I would like to support this parish by becoming a parishioner.

I have a little problem though;

For the last year I have been teaching religious education classes at my Novus Ordo parish. I have really enjoyed this and found it to be very fulfilling. Sometimes it has been sad because most of the kids, even though they have been in some sort of religious education class throughout most of their lives, still know very little about the faith. One kid didn’t even think Catholics were Christians and thought we were some sort of other religion. He sounded surprised, even non-believing, when I tried to convince him that we are the original Christians and the only Church Jesus founded.

A lot of the kids get “psychologically beat up”, because some of their parents send them to protestant bible studies:banghead: and they get taught a lot of anti-Catholic garbage. Even at school a lot of the kids hear this type of nonsense from their protestant “friends”. It’s sad knowing that even young Catholic kids have to take a beating every now and then for their faith. I guess that’s just the world we live in.

My problem is that I feel like I’m being pulled in two different directions by God.

One side of me believes God is calling me to bring my family to the Latin Mass because we will be very comfortable in that environment and the long term affects will be very beneficial for my family, especially my children.

Another side of me believes God is wanting me to just tough it out at my current parish and continue doing His work by teaching the kids authentic Catholic teaching and hopefully make an impact on their young lives.

I truly want to obey God, but I’m at a cross roads and could use some prayers. Thanks.

Possible Solution; do both.

Keep your current parish as home home base and try to affect positive change. Meanwhile treat the FSSP parish as your spiritual “cottage/cabin”, where you go to personally recharge.

Or conversely, make the FSSP your home base and treat the other parish as more of a service.

It doesn’t need to be either/or.

Solution 1: Go to both Masses.
Solution 2: Organize taking the kids to the Latin Mass as part of their religious education.
Solution 3: Tough it out. Not to put too fine a point on it, but you’ve basically said, “I think God is pulling me in two directions – one, where I satisfy my desire for the things I like, which are of course very noble things; the other, where I humble my desires for the sake of bringing vital religious education to kids who are in dire need of it.” Hopefully my somewhat crass rephrasing may help you put in perspective what you’re discussing. :slight_smile:

Whichever you pick, you’ll be in my prayers, though!

You have my prayers and my sympathy. I can relate to how difficult a decision this is because I am in a somewhat similar situation. At the OF Mass I attend, I feel I am performing an important service in the choir. But the EF Mass is the one where I feel that I belong (not to mention, I consider the theology of the prayers to be more consistent with Catholic teaching). In my case, there is the additional consideration that my spouse and some of our children prefer to be at the OF. So I am attending both forms of Mass about equally.

GOD is pulling you in one direction. Follow.

I’d make the FSSP your parish but continue the religious ed. for as long as you can. It’s obvious the children are benefiting from your instruction. Pray about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.